Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to the yukon

moving to the yukon

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:23 am
Just Joined

destinationyukon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to the yukon

Hi. Ive just made the decision to move from the UK to what I think is the most beautiful place on earth. im a fully trained fabricator welder / pipe welder and would like any information on job prospects and what will be expected of myself to be able to move to the yukon. Any advice or information will be very helpfull. Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to the yukon

Welcome to BE.

I can't imagine you'll have any problem finding employment! I'm sure with your skills and with so few immigrants wanting to go there you'll be snapped up.

I don't think we've got any forum members in the Yukon, but hopefully others will still be able to give you advice.

Best of luck with it.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:10 am
Just Joined

That was exactly what I was hoping to hear. Do you know any basic criteria for me being able to move to the yukon. I have spoken to someone who was looking to move to Australia and he said he needed to have £20000 in the bank. Im assuming this is to prove he is financially able to move and not claim any kind of benefits. Im very keen on ensuring I meet the criteria needed to move. Any info would be helpful. Im in the very early stages of moving forward and I want to have as much knowledge as possible. Cheers
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationyukon
That was exactly what I was hoping to hear. Do you know any basic criteria for me being able to move to the yukon. I have spoken to someone who was looking to move to Australia and he said he needed to have £20000 in the bank. Im assuming this is to prove he is financially able to move and not claim any kind of benefits. Im very keen on ensuring I meet the criteria needed to move. Any info would be helpful. Im in the very early stages of moving forward and I want to have as much knowledge as possible. Cheers
It will depend on the visa route you go down, there are so many different options and each has different criteria and proof of funds requirements. Have a look at the Wiki and see which visa route you think may be the best for you, then once you've figured out your likely route you can come back and ask any questions about it.

The CIC website also has a good tool to tell you if you'd qualify for a visa or not, so have a look at that too.

Good luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 11:43 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know any basic criteria for me being able to move to the yukon.
To be abel to tolerance the seasons, not just the cold

the very short days in winter and never ending sunshine of the summer,

This I'm told isn't for everyone and can be a real issue, some peopel find it very difficult to sleep with the never ending daylight and this can result in mental health issues for a few people

Having said all that I enjoyed my visit and can agree that it one of the most beautiful places on earth
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

You are brave to consider it! Whitehorse is the capital I think. You will get to see the northern lights that's for sure, and plenty of bears.....read Robert Service, who captured the spirit of the place so beautifully.

Good luck and keep us all posted!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 1:13 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Ive just made the decision to move from the UK to what I think is the most beautiful place on earth. im a fully trained fabricator welder / pipe welder and would like any information on job prospects and what will be expected of myself to be able to move to the yukon. Any advice or information will be very helpfull. Thanks
Have you ever been to the Yukon?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Have you ever been to the Yukon?
This is a key question IMO. Making a success of a move doesn't necessarily require a recce trip - I know because I've made two such moves. However, the Yukon isn't for everyone and it might be smart to play the percentages and do a recce trip if you haven't already done so.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The mosquitos are quite bad up there.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I flew up there for a while, some magnificent scenery. Housing is expensive, rentals not always easy to find though.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Read this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2013/ob539.asp
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with other posters: additional research might be in order if not already done. Cheers.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:08 am
Just Joined

It is not a decision im taking lightly and I plan to move in around 5 years giving myself enough time to meet all criteria and to gain as much knowledge as possible. Im hoping my trade skills will be useful as I can practically make anything from metal including welding aluminium. I want to be part of a community where you rely on each other. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 9:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

II want to be part of a community where you rely on each other.
You can get that in most places though.

As others have asked above, just out of interest, have you visited before?

And tbh, if you're not planning on moving for 5 years there's little point in researching visa requirements etc. Things change so often in Canadian immigration that in 5 years time the eligibility criteria will be completely different, so unless you want to move sooner I'd just wait and see what is needed in 2019.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 11:35 am
Just Joined

No I havnt been out there yet but it goes without saying that I'll be taking a recce out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.