Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving with young children

Moving with young children

Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future
Default Moving with young children

Hi all, my family and I are setting the wheels in motion for the move and I have many questions. My main queries are around the education system and moving with young children in general. Does anyone have any tips for moving with young children and getting them settled?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:46 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with young children

Originally Posted by Tripitaka
Hi all, my family and I are setting the wheels in motion for the move and I have many questions. My main queries are around the education system and moving with young children in general. Does anyone have any tips for moving with young children and getting them settled?
How old are your kiddiwinks?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Moved out of UK when kids were 4 and 3. Came to CA when they were 8 and 7. Just get involved with local kids activities / playgroups.

If you plan to stay here long term, put them in the education system and they'll be fine. Kids are far more adaptable than they are given credit for.

HTH
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:04 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine are 4 and 2- my eldest starts kindergarten in september, but we have her starting a pre-k (pre-kindergarten) next week. The Pre-K consists of 2 mornings a week...
Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tripitaka
My main queries are around the education system and moving with young children in general.
When it comes to education, you really have to narrow down which province you're going to be moving to, as each province is responsible for its own education system - and it varies dramatically from one province to another. Not only that, but each school board can vary on how they do things, how the school system is structured. If you know where you're going to be located, it'll make it easier to give you info on how the education system works.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

We are planning on Vancouver Island and moving in the summer of 2011. Little one will be four and a half at that point and has been in full time nursery in the UK.

When does the school system start in that area?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Children in BC officially start school in September of the year that they turn 5 years old. In September your little one will begin Kindergarten at your local elementary school, and it will be a half day of school (either mornings or afternoons). They will complete Kindergarten in June the following year and the following September they'll begin Grade 1 which in BC is the first year that kids have a full day of school. Typically elementary school goes from 9am until 3pm with a 10am recess and an hour lunch at 12.

I should also mention that while Kindergarten is the first year of the BC education system, some parents do send their children to preschool the year before Kindergarten, although it's not a part of the public school system. You would have to pay to send your children to preschool.

I'd also recommend that you look up the local school board for where you'll be on Vancouver Island. It will not only list all the schools in that area, but usually you'll have detailed information on how those schools function. Some schools, for example, set their own unique hours, or they have their own unique systems. Most schools these days have their own websites where you can get a sense of the school, its teachers, its classes, its expectations, etc.

Here's a list of the school boards in BC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...itish_Columbia

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 1st 2010 at 9:00 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lychee, that is very helpful. I'll check out the Wiki page.

Have you any idea how parents that work full time manage with the half-day school year? Our daughter is used to full day nursery already and we would like to continue that if possible. Do you know if the schools have nursery facilities attached for the other half of the day? I assume that having two working parents is common enough in BC for this to have been addressed in some way.

Sorry if it is answered in the Wiki - just off to look at that site now.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is usually a "day care" program that parents pay can for. Most schools in Vancouver offer this - I have no experience with Vancouver Island schools but I can't imagine it being much different in that department.

As for what working parents do - that's a good question as it varies. If they quit work while having a child, assuming they stay at home for the first years of their child's life, I'd imagine that many parents will also stay at home while their child is in Kindergarten, usually returning to work when the child enters Grade 1. It completely depends on the situation though. Some parents hire nannies, some parents work part time, etc.

Last edited by Lychee; Jan 1st 2010 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Lychee. This has given me lots to work on and provided many references that I didn't previously have such as the Fraser Rankings etc.

I am most grateful.

Beth.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

Hi Tripitaka
We live about 7 miles away from you in Preesall. We're also moving to Canada in 2011 but we're going to Ontario. How far along the process are you? We have just sent our forms to Nova Scotia for the first part of the process.
Becky
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

We started a little further back. We drew up a list of all the things we wanted in life then started drawing up a shortlist of the places that would provide that and Vancouver Island pretty much topped the bill.

we are only just starting on the process route as we have been researching all the stuff behind it first - no point in applying then deciding it's not for us as plan B would be New Zealand.

What made you pick Nova Scotia?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

We're hopefully moving to Toronto. The forms have been sent to Sydney, Nova Scotia as it's the first part of the process. Toronto was an easy choice for us as I've been going there since I was 15 and have some very good friends in the area. There are a couple of nuclear power stations in the area (OH's occupation) so we haven't looked anywhere else. We went on a 2-week visit last Christmas and the kids loved it. We also did a pros and cons list and have been doing research for the last year.
I agree that it's a huge decision and I still get panicky moments but this is a fantastic forum where most questions are answered really quickly.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

lifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to alllifeisajourney is a name known to all

Hi,

Our children were almost 4 and 1 when we moved over and I'm a full time mum. Within a few months our daughter started school here and that was just great for her making friends and I made a big effort to invite her new friends over. I also organised a 'mums night out' to a local eatery a few months after school started, which was totally out of character for me, but a great way for me to get to know some of the mums a little more. I also pushed myself to get out and about quickly to local toddler groups with my one year old. Very quickly the kids and a I had lots of new friends and we settled in quickly.

I thought that the part time schooling thing until they're six was silly until I actually got here and experienced it. There are groups/ gymnastics etc scheduled in the day in the week because of the part time schooling and we actually had a lot of fun together and with our new friends. For working parents, part time schooling means that some of the schools have daycare in house, childminders, grandparents also pick up the slack and I've found a lot more women here working from home or part time and dads more involved in looking after their children. So, whilst it's different here for kids aged 4-6, once you're here you'll discover things are set up for it, as they have to be.

In my opinion the younger they are the easier it is for them to handle the move, as they really live in the moment . Although packing boxes with toddlers around the house is NOT much fun!

Good luck!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lifeisajourney
Hi,

Our children were almost 4 and 1 when we moved over and I'm a full time mum. Within a few months our daughter started school here and that was just great for her making friends and I made a big effort to invite her new friends over. I also organised a 'mums night out' to a local eatery a few months after school started, which was totally out of character for me, but a great way for me to get to know some of the mums a little more. I also pushed myself to get out and about quickly to local toddler groups with my one year old. Very quickly the kids and a I had lots of new friends and we settled in quickly.

I thought that the part time schooling thing until they're six was silly until I actually got here and experienced it. There are groups/ gymnastics etc scheduled in the day in the week because of the part time schooling and we actually had a lot of fun together and with our new friends. For working parents, part time schooling means that some of the schools have daycare in house, childminders, grandparents also pick up the slack and I've found a lot more women here working from home or part time and dads more involved in looking after their children. So, whilst it's different here for kids aged 4-6, once you're here you'll discover things are set up for it, as they have to be.

In my opinion the younger they are the easier it is for them to handle the move, as they really live in the moment . Although packing boxes with toddlers around the house is NOT much fun!

Good luck!
Totally agree with the above. I was a FT mum when we moved out of the UK. (Did have a proper career before kids but stopped when they came along). Then volunteered at the school when we got here and got really involved and met lots of people. TBH I have met a lot of people too because of the activities my kids do - hockey and soccer.

I have just gone back to work on a PT basis and am enjoying it. People do use daycare / parents for childcare and it seems to work well - I know a lot of working parents. The schools here alos run daycare centres and after school clubs for working parents. It is really well set up.

As she said above, get involved and out yourself out there and you will have a good time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.