Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to whistler summer season?

Moving to whistler summer season?

Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

njc42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to whistler summer season?

Hi,

We are hoping to move to whistler (with an IEC visa) we are interested in the summer season the most so was thinking to get there for 2014 summer. However if we want to rent somewhere and get jobs (possibly bike mechanic)?

When is the best time to go over and get a job? we don't want to be there too long before we can start using the bike park and earning but don't want to miss the jobs and accommodation?

Any advise on accommodation and jobs in whistler would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Nicola
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:06 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to whistler summer season?

From my understanding of jobs in Whistler, they go quick as does the accommodation. A friend of mine used a company that sorted his job and place to stay for him before he came out, sorry I can't remember the name. He did it for the winter season so not sure about summer.

I think you want to be applying now and looking for places, as they go quick!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:13 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Tigger1 - start now as the bike park opens mid May.

You'd probably have better luck posting your question on NSMB

http://www.nsmb.com/

or on Pinkbike
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:25 am
British European at heart

Arewemad is an unknown quantity at this point

A few years back my husband and I did a summer season in Whistler. We didn't get there until June and had jobs and a place to live within weeks of arriving. The summer isn't as bad as winter for either of these things, and it's beautiful and boiling hot!! Enjoy!!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njc42
Hi,

We are hoping to move to whistler (with an IEC visa) we are interested in the summer season the most so was thinking to get there for 2014 summer. However if we want to rent somewhere and get jobs (possibly bike mechanic)?

When is the best time to go over and get a job? we don't want to be there too long before we can start using the bike park and earning but don't want to miss the jobs and accommodation?

Any advise on accommodation and jobs in whistler would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Nicola
Hi Nicola

I live in Whistler so feel qualified to answer your question lol. If you want a bike tech job then you need to be looking and making contact now. A lot if not most of the bike techs return year after year and unless you know some one or are very experienced I wouldn't even bother with some of the stores. Your best bet would be to try Whistler Blackcomb's Bike and Bean store and maybe Summit. Whistler Village sports are an option too.
Evolution and fanatyk co both have small established team's so would prob be a no go. You can always aim for a shop assistant role and work your way up.

TBH don't worry about jobs or accommodation in the Summer.
May to Mid June is dead season and landlords can't give rentals away. It's a good time to arrive to sort accom out but there will be no jobs. If you think you may want to stay for the following winter however don't play the greedy landlord game. Their the ones who will moan they can never get good tennant's but will only rent to you until end of Oct/Nov. They cover their dead season and then put the price up astronomically. It will leave you screwed as you have to fight with 5000 other people who have just arrived in oct and will end up paying Winter only rates. Something you'll learn is that locals only ever move in the Summer

Anyway end of June/start or July is when things really pick up for work and as long as your flexible you will have no problem getting a job.

Best of luck
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

njc42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone that is all really usefull!!! I think we might try working till next year so we only have to get part time jobs and can ride the rest of the time!!!

Whats the best way to find accommodation and where is good to live?

Also where did you live while searching?

thank you again
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:10 pm

L
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:21 pm

Stupid phone!!

Look in the Piqué newspaper for accommodation and jobs. You can view it online or pick it up around town for free every Friday I believe, maybe Thursday?!

We are lucky enough to have friends who lived in Whistler (now Penberton) that we could stay with. There are loads of hostels around though and they are much easier to get a room in and cheaper in the summer. If not try looking on Airbnb.com, there might be something on there.

A tip for finding a place; bring references from the UK. If you are renting bring tenant references, if you own, bring letters from your mortgage company. And print out your credit rating from credit expert!!

Hope this helps, you'll have a great time!!