Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Vancouver

Moving to Vancouver

Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver

Originally Posted by ChrissRoss
Thank you for your help, the result is 505 points.
You are most welcome - and 505 points is very good!

Perhaps double check them on the CRS calculator? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...d/crs-tool.asp

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are people with children eligible for IEC? I didn't think so.
Yes they are

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 24th 2017 at 3:23 am.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

505 points - looking at the latest round of invites, only 904 out of 57,424 people in the pool had a score that high (between 450 and 600 points). So 505 is an abnormally high score.

Based on the criteria, does this mean your Bachelor's was earned in Canada, you have previous Canadian work experience, or your spouse, brother or sister is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or you have a degree of fluency in French that can be demonstrated on an exam?

Where did you study/work in Canada, or where in Canada does your brother/sister live?

Because putting into the points calculator - based on the info you provided here - a married couple, 25-30 years old, with two Bachelor's Degrees, top results on IELTS, maximum work experience for points purposes, but no Canadian study or work history or French fluency, and no Canadian spouse/brother/sister into the Government's points calculator yields in the 460 point range, not over 500. It's hard for me to see how you got up over 500 without previous Canadian ties or significant ability in French that can be demonstrated on an exam.

The cut-off of the last round was 434 points - and in the 401-450 point range is 11,638 applicants. So a score in the 460s is still fine, on the information of today.

But I would encourage you to re-read what you entered into the points calculator to make sure you understand fully what was being asked of you, or if you have previous Canadian ties through study, work, or family, let us know about them as that will help us to give you better replies.

I am not trying to be a hard-a**. But legions upon legions of people don't give enough thought to the visa process and then over-estimate their points - we see it frequently on these boards - only to set themselves up for serious disappointment later on.

Last edited by carcajou; Aug 24th 2017 at 3:26 am.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 10:37 am
Just Joined

ChrissRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

I am fully fluent in French and I have lived most of my life in France. Also currently teaching it to my partner.

I am very confident (100%) that the info put into the calculator is correct.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Fluency in French changes things and also will probably guarantee a "shelf life" for your ability to apply for a permanent visa, as points totals often drop precipitously with age but being able to gain maximum points for French language ability insulates you from that to a great deal.

As for Vancouver, as others have pointed out real estate prices in the city can be extraordinary. Lots of people have been priced out over the past decade.

Quality of life is very high if you are able to afford it, though Vancouver does have some very rough neighbourhoods with high gang activity.

There is a very large Chinese (Cantonese) population in Vancouver; the third-biggest Chinatown in North America is there. Some of the history of Asian migration - the Chinese tended to favour California and Vancouver, while the Japanese went to Seattle and Hawaii. So there is a very strong Far Eastern flavour in parts of Vancouver.

I suppose the question comes down to how much money are you willing to put into it, as the cost of migration itself is very high.

You may want to consider a scouting trip there to check about jobs in your field and so on.

With your French ability, why not consider Montreal or Quebec City? I have relatives in Quebec and if you are uninhibited by language - a remarkable place to live.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Further to your point - it can be very hard to secure permanent jobs before moving, and most migrants end up coming first and getting the job after.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply,

In your opinion, which of the Canadian cities is the best? Which do most British immigrants tend to like the most? The reason we have chosen to reside in a city is because we would like to have the best opportunities for our children and ourselves. Of course however we would prefer somewhere cheaper on the scale of living and close to amenities such as shops, school, gp ect.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
With your French ability, why not consider Montreal or Quebec City?
Weather?
Old Aug 24th 2017, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Weather isn't a problem for us as we enjoy British weather. The Canadian weather to me was one of the things that brought Canada to question, snow, rain, cooler temperatures and a nice summer. It means we can get outdoors as much as possible. We would also like to get a dog over there, are there many animal lovers?
Old Aug 24th 2017, 12:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We would also like to get a dog over there, are there many animal lovers?
We have some animals; 2 horses, greyhound, whippet, 2 cats, chickens, fish, and so are exposed to lots of other people who have animals. It seems to me that everyone I meet has animals but then I mostly meet people at the vet`s.

Certainly there are very many dogs.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 12:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Weather isn't a problem for us as we enjoy British weather. The Canadian weather to me was one of the things that brought Canada to question, snow...
Time to dig out the diary of a snow shoveler

Spoiler:
December 8 - 6:00 PM
It started to snow.
The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven.
It looked like a Grandma Moses Print.
So romantic we felt like newlyweds again.
I love snow!

December 9
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape.
What a fantastic sight!
Can there be a lovelier place in the whole world?
Moving here was the best idea I've ever had!
Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again.
I did both our driveway and the sidewalks.
This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again.
What a perfect life!

December 12
The sun has melted all our lovely snow.
Such a disappointment!
My neighbor tells me not to worry- we'll definitely have a white Christmas.
No snow on Christmas would be awful!
Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again
I don't think that's possible.
Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14
Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night.
The temperature dropped to -20.
The cold makes everything sparkle so.
The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks.
This is the life!
The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again.
I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way.
I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15
20 inches forecast.
Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer.
Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels.
Stocked the freezer.
The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out.
I think that's silly.
We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16
Ice storm this morning.
Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway putting down salt.
Hurt like hell.
The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17
Still way below freezing.
Roads are too icy to go anywhere.
Electricity was off for 5 hours.
I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm.
Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her.
Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her.
God I hate it when she's right.
I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20
Electricity's back on, but had another 14 inches of the damn stuff last night.
More shoveling!
Took all day.
The damn snowplow came by twice.
Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey.
I think they're lying.
Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out.
Might have another shipment in March.
I think they're lying.
Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me.
I think he's lying.

December 22
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white shit fell today, and it's so cold, it probably won't melt till August.
Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss.
By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel.
Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think the asshole is lying.

December 23
Only 2 inches of snow today
And it warmed up to 0.
The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning.
What is she, nuts?!!
Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago?
She says she did but I think she's lying.

December 24
6 inches - Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel.
Thought I was having a heart attack.
If I ever catch the son of a bitch who drives that snow plow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls and beat him to death with my broken shovel.
I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been!
Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25
Merry freaking Christmas!
20 more inches of the damn slop tonight -Snowed in.
The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil.
God, I hate the snow!
Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel.
The wife says I have a bad attitude.
I think she's an idiot.
If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26
Still snowed in.
Why the hell did I ever move here?
It was all HER idea.
She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27
Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze; plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28
Warmed up to above -20.
Still snowed in.
The BITCH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29
10 more inches.
Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in.
That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30
Roof caved in.
I beat up the snow plow driver, and now he is suing me for a million dollars, not only the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his ass.
The wife went home to her mother.
Nine more inches predicted.

December 31
I set fire to what's left of the house.
No more shoveling.

January 8
Feel so good.
I just love those little white pills they keep giving me.
Why am I tied to the bed?

Not Vancouver obviously.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the reply,

In your opinion, which of the Canadian cities is the best? Which do most British immigrants tend to like the most? The reason we have chosen to reside in a city is because we would like to have the best opportunities for our children and ourselves. Of course however we would prefer somewhere cheaper on the scale of living and close to amenities such as shops, school, gp ect.

This is up to your personal tastes. I prefer Quebec but most Brits seem to angle towards Toronto and Vancouver, probably because those are the two biggest cities where the language issue wouldn't impact on them and so I think they are interpreted as "safe" choices.

Toronto, to me, is just a slightly more dynamic US Rust Belt city - not a place I would move to. But there are some on here who love it there and in Ontario. The Maritimes have become something of a trendy destination but they can be quite isolated from the rest of Canada.

So I guess my top three would be:

1. Quebec
2. Maritimes (excluding New Brunswick)
3. Alberta (Calgary)

Vancouver, circa 15 years ago, would have been #1 but not now.

Just my preferences.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Vancouver. Its an okay place to live but as said very exspensive for housing. Other costs such as electric, food etc are not much more vs cheaper areas and food can be found pretty cheap in Vancouver.

For us most of income goes just to rent.

We dont partake in much Vancouver has to offer since after rent not much left for other essentials.

If you can secure high paying jobs, Vancouver would be a nice place but if your not able to secure high paying jobs it will be a work to survive life.

Many people work 2 jobs and sometimes 2 full time jobs to make ends meet.

Lower to mid range jobs currently are plentiful and I see more and more places with signs that they are hiring as well as reduced hours of operating and closing an extra day per week as they cannot find staff.

The high cost of housing has pushed people who would do the min wage to 15/hr jobs out so employers are having issues now.

High paying employment is far trickier to find unless you have very skilled work.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Re: the OP....
Vancouver's biggest issue is the cost of housing, including rentals.
A lot of this increase, mainly in downtown Vancouver, has been fuelled by Chinese money but now that China has curtailed the outflow of their Renminbi I believe property is at a hiatus and, in addition with new Vancouver City restrictions, there may be an adjustment in prices.
I suggest you keep close attention to property values as, in 4 years, things may be better.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Can you suggest websites to keep an eye on? What MPS and how does it differ from the NHS/Medicare?
Old Aug 24th 2017, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said whether you will enjoy Vancouver or not is all dependent on how much money you earn. For a 1 bed apartment expect to pay between 1500 and 2500 CAD a month so the salary is going to influence whether you are struggling or thriving.

Vancouver also has some of the lowest salaries of the big Canadian cities so it can be a double edged sword. That being said it is in a beautiful location, there are few places in the world were you get sea to mountains in a single vista and Vancouver is stunning. Unfortunately as others have said this has been attracting a lot of attention from property speculators and as such house prices have been soaring (think 10-20% year on year). This has led to some real inequality in the city with a huge homelessness problem and the associated low level crime and drug use.Most of this is confined to the low east side but it is obvious anywhere in the city. The city and provisional government (new NDP government) have only really started to change things very recently so we are realistically 3-4 years away from any true change.

I find people are friendly but not personable and the growing sense of the city as a playground for the rich has not helped this. many long term Vancouverites are feeling majornalised.

That said I enjoy the craft beer scene here as well as quick access to some of the worlds best kayaking and hiking locations. One real benefit is you are only 30-45 mins from the backcountry which feels like a million miles away from the city.

I think I heard it described best as Vancouver is an ok city in a great location. If you picked up Vancouver and moved it to say Alberta or Ontario people you not give it a second glance.

I've been here for a year and 9 months and still enjoy the city but there are some issues that seriously irk me and given a chance I would move out of the lower mainland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.