Reload this Page >

Moving to Vancouver

Moving to Vancouver

Old Mar 9th 2008, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

sandy64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Vancouver

Hi everyone,
Myself and my two sons are moving to the Vancouver area in August. I'm a 44 year old secondary school maths teacher from Glasgow Scotland and hope to gain employment soon as. My older son is a driving instructor and younger son a football coach. Any advice on websites to browse for jobs? I know there is a specific website for teaching jobs anyone know the address?
Anyhow just wanted to say hi!!!!
Sandra.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:05 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver

Hello, Sandy, and welcome to the BE forum.

There is a Wiki article called Teaching in Canada.

I'm not a teacher, and I'm not aware of a One Stop Shop website that posts teaching vacancies in the Vancouver area, although there may be one that I don't know about. If I was starting out, I would do Google searches, such as:

SCHOOL BOARD + VANCOUVER

SCHOOL BOARD + NORTH VANCOUVER

SCHOOL BOARD + BURNABY

SCHOOL BOARD + SURREY

SCHOOL BOARD + RICHMOND

and so on.

Edited to add that I've just noticed that you asked about employment information on behalf of your sons as well. The best thing to do is to read the series of Wiki articles about job hunting in Canada.

You also might like to read the Wiki article on Vancouver.

Brits2Vancouver is a very informative forum.

Hope that helps.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Mar 9th 2008 at 9:13 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:22 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, here we go.

I so often advise newcomers to read the Wiki called Finding Job Opportunities. I just did so, and it came up trumps (I think).

Under the heading of Job Websites there was a link to Specialty Job Sites.

On that website there is a link to Educational Services.

Three of the links on that web page look as if they would be useful:
x
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and best wishes for you move - sit back, get comfy and start reading ....
Old Mar 10th 2008, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

chan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nicechan_konabe is just really nice

Before any school district or independent school can legally hire you, you'll need to get a BC teaching certificate. Fill out the application package from the BC College of Teachers (BCCT). This will take several weeks, or possibly even months, to process.

When that is finished, browse the Employment sections of the individual school district web sites. You can find a list of them from the BC Ministry of Education on this handy map: http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/schools/bcmap.htm. They will post any available jobs on their web sites.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:37 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome

only joined last week and the natives seem friendly

seems that there will be lots of heading out to Vancvouver and environs this summer!!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome, this site is a great source of information. Good luck and best wishes!