Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving from USA to...Canada?

Moving from USA to...Canada?

Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving from USA to...Canada?

I'd love to hear stories/advice from any Americans who have relocated to Canada. I moved to the US from the UK in 1977 and would love to relocate to Canada when I retire.
Advice?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from USA to...Canada?

U.S. citizens can work in Canada under NAFTA provisions, but there is no specific retirement entitlement. Do you have a child settled in Canada?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH moved up here about five years ago. I sponsored her. Since she's been here we've discovered that an astonishing number of "local" people are, in fact, Americans. There was one great wave of immigration at the time of the draft, many of those people remain and there's been a steady trickle, through cross-border relationships, since. The population is sufficient that "Thanksgiving turkeys" are advertised for sale twice per year.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensmate
I'd love to hear stories/advice from any Americans who have relocated to Canada. I moved to the US from the UK in 1977 and would love to relocate to Canada when I retire.
Advice?
There's no "retirement" visa available. Unless you have a Canadian relative who qualifies to sponsor you, I'm not sure how you could pull this off. Unless by "retire" you mean "continue working" (via NAFTA if you're an American citizen, or by TWP).
Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies. I'm an RN who specializes in Oncology. I would like to continue to work (on a limited basis) to "keep my hand in." I'm also a keen spinner/knitter who would like to resume breeding Angora rabbits for fiber. Anyone with similar hobbies?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jensmate
Thanks for the replies. I'm an RN who specializes in Oncology. I would like to continue to work (on a limited basis) to "keep my hand in." I'm also a keen spinner/knitter who would like to resume breeding Angora rabbits for fiber. Anyone with similar hobbies?

Jess, you do know Canada is alot colder than Florida right?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Yup! I lived in Pennsylvania for 13 years and am VERY familiar with snow/ice/more snow/more ice/even more ice........
Old Feb 25th 2009, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

You can only enter Canada for a maximum of 6 months at any one time- there is no retirement visa- in order to work under the TN visa under NAFTA, you would have to find a hospital to offer you a job and the visa is renewal annually!

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks! Great help.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Will also need to meet province requirements for International Educated Nurse and sit and pass CRNE