British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moving from USA to...Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moving-usa-canada-593857/)

Jensmate Feb 25th 2009 5:48 am

Moving from USA to...Canada?

I'd love to hear stories/advice from any Americans who have relocated to Canada. I moved to the US from the UK in 1977 and would love to relocate to Canada when I retire.
Advice?

JAJ Feb 25th 2009 7:46 am

Re: Moving from USA to...Canada?

U.S. citizens can work in Canada under NAFTA provisions, but there is no specific retirement entitlement. Do you have a child settled in Canada?

dbd33 Feb 25th 2009 11:42 am

My OH moved up here about five years ago. I sponsored her. Since she's been here we've discovered that an astonishing number of "local" people are, in fact, Americans. There was one great wave of immigration at the time of the draft, many of those people remain and there's been a steady trickle, through cross-border relationships, since. The population is sufficient that "Thanksgiving turkeys" are advertised for sale twice per year.

Bill_S Feb 25th 2009 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jensmate (Post 7320499)
I'd love to hear stories/advice from any Americans who have relocated to Canada. I moved to the US from the UK in 1977 and would love to relocate to Canada when I retire.
Advice?

There's no "retirement" visa available. Unless you have a Canadian relative who qualifies to sponsor you, I'm not sure how you could pull this off. Unless by "retire" you mean "continue working" (via NAFTA if you're an American citizen, or by TWP).

Jensmate Feb 25th 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm an RN who specializes in Oncology. I would like to continue to work (on a limited basis) to "keep my hand in." I'm also a keen spinner/knitter who would like to resume breeding Angora rabbits for fiber. Anyone with similar hobbies?

celine_uk Feb 25th 2009 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jensmate (Post 7322494)
Thanks for the replies. I'm an RN who specializes in Oncology. I would like to continue to work (on a limited basis) to "keep my hand in." I'm also a keen spinner/knitter who would like to resume breeding Angora rabbits for fiber. Anyone with similar hobbies?

Jess, you do know Canada is alot colder than Florida right? :lol:

Jensmate Feb 25th 2009 11:19 pm

:D Yup! I lived in Pennsylvania for 13 years and am VERY familiar with snow/ice/more snow/more ice/even more ice........

shelley748 Feb 25th 2009 11:21 pm

You can only enter Canada for a maximum of 6 months at any one time- there is no retirement visa- in order to work under the TN visa under NAFTA, you would have to find a hospital to offer you a job and the visa is renewal annually!

Hope that helps.

Jensmate Feb 26th 2009 1:41 am

Thanks! Great help.

Silverdragon102 Feb 26th 2009 2:00 am

Will also need to meet province requirements for International Educated Nurse and sit and pass CRNE