Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is moving from the UK really worth it?!

Is moving from the UK really worth it?!

Old Sep 29th 2019, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is moving from the UK really worth it?!

This may seem an odd post given that many are on this forum who are set on moving or have already moved.

We have had PR for some time but still live in the UK. We lived and travelled through Canada when we were younger on a working holiday and loved it. Since then we have settled, have a house and jobs with good pensions and benefits (the main one being 27 days leave).

Having the niggling feeling to go back, we applied for PR and got it due to my wife's occupation. We intend to rent our current house out. My wife has been offered a role after a lot of skype interviews and it is at much a better wage than she is on now. However, when drilling down to the nitty gritty, with the extra rental rates and bills in the location it is based we will probably come out almost the same in terms of disposable income and I would then need to find a role at a reduced pay rate from my current role as it is not easily transferrable as an occupation.

Having read through the job offer, there is no pension and leave is a lot less. We are in a VERY lucky position where we now get to choose and thankfully we have such a good life at the moment when it comes down to it, we are struggling to see the actual benefits on moving, other than the excitement of it all and the opportunity to try something new.

​​​Its a huge leap of faith which could be amazing and open up doors or we could regret the move and look back at how good we had it in the UK. It is niggling at us as to whether we are making the right decison on spending lots and lots to move over.

Has anyone else been in the same situation?
I'm sure many of us going through the process feel like this, how did you work through it?
​​​
Just sharing my thoughts and would welcome any advice!
Old Sep 29th 2019, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is moving from the UK really worth it?!

I can feel your worries. We have started the process of moving over but there are always niggling doubts about whether you are doing the right thing.
We have already sold our house in order to gain the funds to move, so we are definitely going for it.

We have holidayed a couple of times to Canada and definitely feel it is the place for us. The lifestyle, amazing countryside and friendly people are quite different from the UK and it kind of feels like we have been missing out living here.

There is a lot to consider in moving, the expense is one of the main concerns but I feel sure that once settled over there we will be better off in many ways. It's probably different for us as we live in one of the most expensive parts of the UK to live in with the lowest wages.
Myself and my wife should both be paid more in our occupations when we move plus there will be a lower cost of living.

I guess if you have had the urge in the first place to go back to Canada it must mean that you aren't quite satisfied with where you are now. Would you be happy if suddenly you changed your mind and stayed? Or would you always wish that you had taken the plunge and gone...

I'm sure the state of this country at the minute would also be a minus for staying.

Just imagine the views you will see every day once you have moved
Old Sep 29th 2019, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamfromWales
This may seem an odd post given that many are on this forum who are set on moving or have already moved.

We have had PR for some time but still live in the UK. We lived and travelled through Canada when we were younger on a working holiday and loved it. Since then we have settled, have a house and jobs with good pensions and benefits (the main one being 27 days leave).

Having the niggling feeling to go back, we applied for PR and got it due to my wife's occupation. We intend to rent our current house out. My wife has been offered a role after a lot of skype interviews and it is at much a better wage than she is on now. However, when drilling down to the nitty gritty, with the extra rental rates and bills in the location it is based we will probably come out almost the same in terms of disposable income and I would then need to find a role at a reduced pay rate from my current role as it is not easily transferrable as an occupation.

Having read through the job offer, there is no pension and leave is a lot less. We are in a VERY lucky position where we now get to choose and thankfully we have such a good life at the moment when it comes down to it, we are struggling to see the actual benefits on moving, other than the excitement of it all and the opportunity to try something new.

​​​Its a huge leap of faith which could be amazing and open up doors or we could regret the move and look back at how good we had it in the UK. It is niggling at us as to whether we are making the right decison on spending lots and lots to move over.

Has anyone else been in the same situation?
I'm sure many of us going through the process feel like this, how did you work through it?
​​​
Just sharing my thoughts and would welcome any advice!
Hi, welcome to BE.

It's so dependent on your current situation, and what you'll be moving to - for us personally, the UK is much better for our family, but for others, Canada is better.

From what you've said, it's worth doing some careful sums, Canada is pretty expensive and cost of living is about the same as in the UK, so if you'll be taking a pay cut, you may find you struggle.

I'd personally go for it if your wife has a job offer, at worst it'll be an adventure and you can always move back in a couple of years if it doesn't work out, but do make sure you won't be struggling for money if you have a good life in the UK already.

Assume you got your PR fairly recently and no risk of losing it?
Old Sep 29th 2019, 2:42 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

How old are you both?
What salary has your Wife been offered?
Are children involved in the move, if so, what are their age(s)?
What city are you thinking of?
Do you enjoy the cold?
Old Sep 29th 2019, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I have two different thoughts. Either do it as an adventure, why-the-heck-not, what-have-we-got-to-lose attitude. But be honest with the answers you give yourself.

Alternately, I also feel that in order to make a successful longer-term move you should really want to move to Canada. There should be a strong pull. What would that be?
Old Sep 29th 2019, 4:03 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

It’s something you either want to do or not. It isn’t all about economics. It’s in your heart and soul. I’d rather liken it to Brexit. You either want it or you don’t - irrespective of the economic consequences
Old Sep 29th 2019, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

'worth it' is... a very difficult and personal question.

Your reference to pensions, benefits, wages suggest you're looking at it economically. Which isn't necessarily wrong, but is rarely going to say one first world country decisively wins over another (unless you're a software developer looking to move to the US in which case cost of living immediately rears up to counteract it).

Where do you stand on lifestyle issues? Would you miss short flights to Europe? Have you thought about a particular area in Canada? Do you yearn for whatever that area offers?

Do you have kids? Would you need to think about their schooling transferring? Would they like the adventure of something new/miss their friends?

For me, I had a good job with good pension, benefits, and vacation, and don't regret moving for a moment - the lifestyle improvements totally outweighs the reduction in vacation time. But it's a personal choice.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

AdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond reputeAdamfromWales has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
How old are you both?
What salary has your Wife been offered?
Are children involved in the move, if so, what are their age(s)?
What city are you thinking of?
Do you enjoy the cold?
Both 32
$70000
No children (just a dog that is treated like a child!)
Calgary rural (higher pricing than Calgary)
​​​​​​​Yes much prefer being cold than wet in Wales!
​​​​
Old Sep 29th 2019, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for the wonderful comments!

​​
Old Sep 29th 2019, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
'worth it' is... a very difficult and personal question.

Your reference to pensions, benefits, wages suggest you're looking at it economically. Which isn't necessarily wrong, but is rarely going to say one first world country decisively wins over another (unless you're a software developer looking to move to the US in which case cost of living immediately rears up to counteract it).

Where do you stand on lifestyle issues? Would you miss short flights to Europe? Have you thought about a particular area in Canada? Do you yearn for whatever that area offers?

Do you have kids? Would you need to think about their schooling transferring? Would they like the adventure of something new/miss their friends?

For me, I had a good job with good pension, benefits, and vacation, and don't regret moving for a moment - the lifestyle improvements totally outweighs the reduction in vacation time. But it's a personal choice.

Thank you.

We are in a good position im many reapects.
No children, just a dog who will be coming with us.
We live in rural Wales so have a detached house we will be renting out.
I'm in the police here so would be happy in any kind of community based role which doesnt carry the same amount of risk like working as a police officer in modern Britain! Hopefully will be able to gain a career break for this role.
We may miss Europe a tad but the way the UK travel industry is going at the moment, i.e. the demise of Thomas Cook, its not a top concern.
​​​​
Old Sep 29th 2019, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It’s something you either want to do or not. It isn’t all about economics. It’s in your heart and soul. I’d rather liken it to Brexit. You either want it or you don’t - irrespective of the economic consequences
Thanks!

​​​​​​Our heart says 'go go go'! But our head says 'you have things good and comfortable here, make sure you look at the figures'

I am in the police here, i.e. Good pension and a good stable role but I do think I need to get out and try something new and explore things now that I have the chance, hopefully with use of a career break fallback just in case. This is not certain yet though.
​​
Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

It's so dependent on your current situation, and what you'll be moving to - for us personally, the UK is much better for our family, but for others, Canada is better.

From what you've said, it's worth doing some careful sums, Canada is pretty expensive and cost of living is about the same as in the UK, so if you'll be taking a pay cut, you may find you struggle.

I'd personally go for it if your wife has a job offer, at worst it'll be an adventure and you can always move back in a couple of years if it doesn't work out, but do make sure you won't be struggling for money if you have a good life in the UK already.

Assume you got your PR fairly recently and no risk of losing it?
Thanks for the advice!
Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Frazzle
I can feel your worries. We have started the process of moving over but there are always niggling doubts about whether you are doing the right thing.
We have already sold our house in order to gain the funds to move, so we are definitely going for it.

We have holidayed a couple of times to Canada and definitely feel it is the place for us. The lifestyle, amazing countryside and friendly people are quite different from the UK and it kind of feels like we have been missing out living here.

There is a lot to consider in moving, the expense is one of the main concerns but I feel sure that once settled over there we will be better off in many ways. It's probably different for us as we live in one of the most expensive parts of the UK to live in with the lowest wages.
Myself and my wife should both be paid more in our occupations when we move plus there will be a lower cost of living.

I guess if you have had the urge in the first place to go back to Canada it must mean that you aren't quite satisfied with where you are now. Would you be happy if suddenly you changed your mind and stayed? Or would you always wish that you had taken the plunge and gone...

I'm sure the state of this country at the minute would also be a minus for staying.

Just imagine the views you will see every day once you have moved
Thank you!

Yes we are in a lucky position where my wife has been offered a role at a higher rate of pay but its certainly A LOT more to live with realistic sums. But thats mainly down to the location of the role being in high demand for good accommodation.

We come out at about the same in terms of disposable income providing I also find a full role at average pay.

All the very best with your move! Where are you looking at moving to?
Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it. Don't live a life of regrets. You will always have doubts with life changing events.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Frazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdamfromWales
Thank you!

Yes we are in a lucky position where my wife has been offered a role at a higher rate of pay but its certainly A LOT more to live with realistic sums. But thats mainly down to the location of the role being in high demand for good accommodation.

We come out at about the same in terms of disposable income providing I also find a full role at average pay.

All the very best with your move! Where are you looking at moving to?
Thanks, we are planning on moving to lower Manitoba, out in the country. Fortunately my occupation is in high demand there, so should be able to find work easily.

It's ideal that your wife has already been offered work, moving out there with work lined up already is probably a dream for most people moving to Canada. It's almost a situation too good to turn down.

I wish you all the best and hope your decision has become a little easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.