Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving from Uk > Canada needing help with info

Moving from Uk > Canada needing help with info

Old Jun 15th 2018, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Deano2111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Uk > Canada needing help with info

Hi I am 26 just now and am a class one driver, I have an opportunity of driving for a company in Canada which would mean leaving the UK and in looking to speak to someone who has left the UK and went to Canada to give me some in sight before a make my decision, is it a better life style , is the standard of living better things like that.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 6:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Uk > Canada needing help with info

Hi, welcome to BE.

I’ll move your thread as you’ve posted in the visas section, so I’ll pop it over to the main Canada forum which is the place for lifestyle questions. This Wiki article may be useful reading - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada_

It would also be worth checking out our trucking forum, and posting with info of the job/company so that those who’ve worked for them in the past can advise you.

Which province are are you going to? Canada is so huge that that will make a difference to the answers you get about lifestyle etc. And what salary will you be on? Your standard of living will have a lot to do with that too as Canada’s not a cheap place to live. Will the company be sponsoring you under a PNP or just a LMIA for a Temp Work Permit? If the latter, you might want to negotiate them sponsoring you for PR further down the line if you think you might want to stay permanently.

If if you can give people a bit more info about where you’ll be going to etc, then I’m sure they’ll be happy to help.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to re test for your truck driving license and a separate "air brake" license

Additionally the trucking work generally available in the UK is totally different to Canada as are the trucks

3 weeks away from home would not be unusual as you "groupage" around Canada US and Mexico

I too was a trucker in the UK and loved it - But here the vastness of the country and the time away put me off.

Suits some - Not me
Old Jun 15th 2018, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

As someone has already said, You will have to take the Canadian class 1A or 1Z depending what province you are going to, your UK Class 1 is not recognise in Canada.

Its a long time away from home so it can be hard on family life. I was on the road for 6 years driving all over Canada and USA, I have a great time and you can earn good money if you get the miles in.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I have been driving truck in Canada and USA for 11yrs now and I have loved every second of it even when it's been -40C and having to crawl under the trailer in snow and ice to release frozen trailer brakes with a hammer!
Seriously though if you want to experience driving in different countries and different climates and being on the road for a week or maybe 2 go for it as there are not many trucking companies doing LMIAs.
You don't say anything about family so I takeit you are single?