Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving from the UK advice please

Moving from the UK advice please

Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Kaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the UK advice please

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I'd pick Burlington, 40 minutes commute on the train.. or you can get the GoBus Was in the top 5 places to live in Ontario.. family friendly, great festivals, good beach area, boardwalk, parks, good brit pubs, music scene, art scene, lots of restaurants, things to do... often cheaper for buying and renting than Oakville and Mississauga and a fair few Brits if you feel like meeting up with any
https://www.burlington.ca/en/your-ci...-Your-City.asp
now I looked at Burlington and it sounds nice do you know amy of the good places
1 house rental says sought after Cavendish area bit looks a bit like a cracking house (I mean crack house) I realise you get what you pay for but curious as to some good bad areas to avoid if you don't mind please Siouxsie xx
Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaz0376
now I looked at Burlington and it sounds nice do you know amy of the good places
1 house rental says sought after Cavendish area bit looks a bit like a cracking house (I mean crack house) I realise you get what you pay for but curious as to some good bad areas to avoid if you don't mind please Siouxsie xx
I wouldn't read too much into Real Estate ads that say 'sought after', 'most popular neighbourhood' or 'most exclusive neighbourhood' it means nothing and its impossible to measure. Burlington is a great town - for all the reasons that Siouxie mentioned - they did a fantastic job of the waterfront and there is a nice beach too. Like Oakville there isn't really a neighbourhood to absolutely avoid, there are distinct neighbourhoods and their style is dictated to a large extent on when they were built. In both towns development tends to spread from the the Lake up - so near the lake you have 1950s and 60s sidesplits and ranch bungalows built on good size lots - many of these have now been knocked down and replaced by huge houses taking advantage of the location and the large lot sizes. Going a bit further north you hit 70s and 80s developments - still with decent lots (but smaller than in the 50s) keep going North in both towns and you get to the new developments north of Dundas - a lot of town houses (terraced) and also some massive detached but with tiny gardens. The houses here are generally pleasant, much more modern (obviously) and its easy living in terms of snow shovelling, grass cutting and leaf raking.
Also please be careful of looking on places like Craigslist and Kijiji for rental properties - there are a lot of scams where the listing from a legitimate sale is posted as if its a rental usually with a ridiculously low rent. Hoping you wouldn't be daft enough to send money to someone based on their promise to send you the key but if you rely on these ads you are going to get a very nasty shock when you get here and see how much the properties really rent for.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you looking - and what exactly are you looking for... 3 bedroom / house / apartment / townhouse / condo ... do you need a garden (backyard as they are known here).

In all honesty I would wait until you get here as an area one person likes another might hate! You could also appoint a real estate agent to search for you - at no cost to you...
You might find our Wiki on renting of use - lots of links for rental websites Don't send money to anyone (unless they are a registered real estate agent) - there's lots of scams out there !!!!

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada

Do be aware of the requirements for renting properties in Ontario as well... first and last months rent is required on signing the lease - 1 year lease is standard. https://www.ontario.ca/page/renting-ontario-your-rights

Here's one place that might suit you for a 1 year term, until you decide where you would like to live. I don't know the area, but I'm sure others who do can chime in! I live in Hamilton, but spend a lot of time in Burlington. (Warning it's not the biggest or prettiest - but if you just need a base for a year whilst you pick your area.. might do ) Townhouses (terraced houses, basically) are going to be your cheapest option if you want a house to rent initially.... they have a communial area at front and a very small private back yard..
$1850 pm
https://www.gottarent.com/searchresu...om&pageindex=1
https://www.caprent.com/apartments-f...glenwood-park/
https://4rent.ca/list/search/0/0/Tow...9/999/999/999/
https://4rent.ca/Burlington-Townhous...-Brant-4R8943/
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...nue-burlington
https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Renta...hanged=&ajax=1

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 19th 2019 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Cheeky git and to think I was going to invite you over for a beer on our deck (now we finally have some sun). Mind you, as you bought the beer last time I may overlook your comments and invite you anyway.
I do like beer, I could be receptive to the drinking of beer.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you looking - and what exactly are you looking for... 3 bedroom / house / apartment / townhouse / condo ... do you need a garden (backyard as they are known here).

In all honesty I would wait until you get here as an area one person likes another might hate! You could also appoint a real estate agent to search for you - at no cost to you...
You might find our Wiki on renting of use - lots of links for rental websites Don't send money to anyone - there's lots of scams out there !!!!

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada

Do be aware of the requirements for renting properties in Ontario as well... first and last months rent is required on signing the lease - 1 year lease is standard. https://www.ontario.ca/page/renting-ontario-your-rights

Here's one place that might suit you for a 1 year term, until you decide where you would like to live. I don't know the area, but I'm sure others who do can chime in! I live in Hamilton, but spend a lot of time in Burlington.
$1850 pm
https://www.gottarent.com/searchresults/?location=burlington-on&propertytype=houses-townhouses&prfrom=50&prto=2500&q=&bedfrom=3&bedto= 3&bathfrom=-4&sort=random&pageindex=1

More: https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Renta...rlington%2C+ON
https://www.caprent.com/apartments-f...glenwood-park/
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...nue-burlington

lots; https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel=13&LatitudeMax=43.3901504&LongitudeM ax=-79.6553162&LatitudeMin=43.3203778&LongitudeMin=-79.8613785&CurrentPage=1&Sort=1-A&RecordsPerPage=9&PropertySearchTypeId=1&Transact ionTypeId=3&RentMin=0&RentMax=0&BedRange=0-0&BathRange=0-0&Center=43.35527415130485%2C-79.75834733303128

One man's garbage is another man's pancakes and all that but it drove me mad to commute to Toronto from Port Credit and I could walk at both ends; the transfer to the subway is crazy so even when working at College Park I walked from Union (until I could afford a parking space, and then a house, actually in Toronto). It's true that the lakeshore GO line is the best served but, outside of the busiest times of day, the train runs once an hour. A lot of hanging around at Union (or at Scotland Yard) is involved in having a job with even slightly inconsistent hours. Commuting from Burlington, as opposed to living near Allen's and taking the subway, doesn't seem like a bright idea to me.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One man's garbage is another man's pancakes and all that but it drove me mad to commute to Toronto from Port Credit and I could walk at both ends; the transfer to the subway is crazy so even when working at College Park I walked from Union (until I could afford a parking space, and then a house, actually in Toronto). It's true that the lakeshore GO line is the best served but, outside of the busiest times of day, the train runs once an hour. A lot of hanging around at Union (or at Scotland Yard) is involved in having a job with even slightly inconsistent hours. Commuting from Burlington, as opposed to living near Allen's and taking the subway, doesn't seem like a bright idea to me.
It might if you don't enjoy big city living

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...nd-west-lines/
Updated - there are now 4 trains an hour apparently!
Trains currently run twice an hour on these lines outside of the busiest times of day. On the Lakeshore East, that frequency will be doubled, starting Monday, to four times an hour. Frequency will rise to three times an hour on the Lakeshore West.
There are GoBus's too (for the OP, these are coaches) that only take 45 minutes to Union and run every 20 minutes, it's a great service...

and there's this if you want to drive part way in and get dropped off
https://www.gotransit.com/en/the-fut...ents/hwy407bus

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 19th 2019 at 5:46 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

It might if you don't enjoy big city living
You finish work. Maybe it's 8:30, you have to be back for 8 in the morning. You can't run for the 8:43 so you catch the 9:43 train, home at 10:15. In the morning you do the reverse. You're not living, in the city or suburbia, you're living on the train, or the bus. Your children are living in the suburbs and hating you for leaving them stranded, far from the TTC, waiting for you to buy them each a car so they can trying going to bars. Yeah but I know, bigger rooms, more toilets.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:48 pm
Banned

You finish work. Maybe it's 8:30, you have to be back for 8 in the morning. You can't run for the 8:43 so you catch the 9:43 train, home at 10:15. In the morning you do the reverse. You're not living, in the city or suburbia, you're living on the train, or the bus. Your children are living in the suburbs and hating you for leaving them stranded, far from the TTC, waiting for you to buy them each a car so they can trying going to bars. Yeah but I know, bigger rooms, more toilets.

Just curious, have you actually ever spent any time in Burlington? There's a miriad of bars, restaurants etc. In the words of the almighty Dr Evil "Zipit"
I've got the Gobus back from Toronto at 8.30pm before, no issues what so ever. They run 3 times an hour.. Sigh.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

They are every 30 mins now.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 6:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Just curious, have you actually ever spent any time in Burlington?
I have not. It's not a destination kind of place, is it? If one had a job there, one would be there, otherwise not. A bit like Cincinnati. My point is that, if I had a house there, and worked in Toronto, I'd be there as much as I am now.

They are every 30 mins now.
That's a worthwhile difference. Still too far and too many stops for me to want to do it but definitely better.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do like beer, I could be receptive to the drinking of beer.
I will send you an email so as not to hijack the thread.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Kaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond reputeKaz0376 has a reputation beyond repute

I will send you an email so as not to hijack the thread.
I like a beer too hijack away 😂😂
Old Jun 20th 2019, 3:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Missable as we undoubtedly are, I am sure all that good wine and cheese more than makes up for it. Have a great summer!
Hmmm. Youur reference to good wine prompted me to look at the LCBO website, the Saumur https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stor...9#.XQuiZBTOXFI at $21.95 there costs 6,25 euros at Intermarché down the road.

You're not that missable after all.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 4:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hmmm. Youur reference to good wine prompted me to look at the LCBO website, the Saumur https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stor...9#.XQuiZBTOXFI at $21.95 there costs 6,25 euros at Intermarché down the road.

You're not that missable after all.
otoh I saw Mondavi products in a Coop Hypermarche near Geneva earlier this month at prices higher than at the LCBO. I was taken aback because the same stuff at Tesco was about 20% below the LCBO price.

This is, of course, a location factor we haven't considered. Fullers' products are readily available in Guelph, Fergus and Georgetown as well as at the big LCBO on the lake in Toronto. I don't know what, if anything, is available in Burlington.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I like a beer too hijack away 😂😂
I can tell already - you are going to fit in just fine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.