Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto on Sunday, need advice on areas to live!

Moving to Toronto on Sunday, need advice on areas to live!

Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Clusks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Toronto on Sunday, need advice on areas to live!

So I'm a bit excited and nervous about this Sunday as I'm finally off to Canada after months of waiting.

I have a cheap hotel for 2 weeks that is in the city centre and I'm hoping to find somewhere to live within that time by using Kijiji and Craigslist. I'm hoping to be paying at the most $600 rent, but I'm willing to go to $700 (i guess) if it's an amazing place and I manage to get a job within those 2 weeks as well!

I've never been to Canada before, let alone Toronto. Ideally I'd like to live in the city, but I'm happy to live on the outskirts too if it has decent transport that can get me to the city centre fast. I was just wondering, with that budget in mind, what are the nicest areas to live in?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto on Sunday, need advice on areas to live!

Originally Posted by Clusks
So I'm a bit excited and nervous about this Sunday as I'm finally off to Canada after months of waiting.

I have a cheap hotel for 2 weeks that is in the city centre and I'm hoping to find somewhere to live within that time by using Kijiji and Craigslist. I'm hoping to be paying at the most $600 rent, but I'm willing to go to $700 (i guess) if it's an amazing place and I manage to get a job within those 2 weeks as well!

I've never been to Canada before, let alone Toronto. Ideally I'd like to live in the city, but I'm happy to live on the outskirts too if it has decent transport that can get me to the city centre fast. I was just wondering, with that budget in mind, what are the nicest areas to live in?
Welcome <nice avatar BTW>. You'll be hard pressed to find much at all in that price range I'm afraid. Your best bet would be to find a room in a shared condo or house. There should be a lot on the market for May 1st because most UofT /Ryerson students will be off for the summer. It's a start and by Aug. you'll know your way around much more.

Aside from the sites you mention, have a look at www.viewit.ca as well.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Welcome <nice avatar BTW>. You'll be hard pressed to find much at all in that price range I'm afraid. Your best bet would be to find a room in a shared condo or house. There should be a lot on the market for May 1st because most UofT /Ryerson students will be off for the summer. It's a start and by Aug. you'll know your way around much more.

Aside from the sites you mention, have a look at www.viewit.ca as well.
Shola is the King!

It'd be ideal to have somewhere for a few months, preferably in the city centre, as then I could get somewhere that would be better for whatever job I get! I'm confused though, as when I go on Kijiji and search for 'city of Toronto' prices seem to range from $400-900 so I thought that it would be plenty

I am looking to find somewhere that has housemates though, I'm just confused as to how far some of the areas like Markham, Brampton Missussauga are from the Toronto city centre.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Shola is the King!

It'd be ideal to have somewhere for a few months, preferably in the city centre, as then I could get somewhere that would be better for whatever job I get! I'm confused though, as when I go on Kijiji and search for 'city of Toronto' prices seem to range from $400-900 so I thought that it would be plenty

I am looking to find somewhere that has housemates though, I'm just confused as to how far some of the areas like Markham, Brampton Missussauga are from the Toronto city centre.
I've always liked Shola too: not brilliant but a very useful squad player.

Yes, for shared the price range is OK. Markham, Brampton & Mississauga are comparatively a long way from downtown (30+ km). The commute by car is ill-advised and public transit is limited. I'd be like living in Morpeth and travelling by bus to S********d for work.

Try to find somewhere on the subway lines.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:17 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a look on kijiji and there are a few apartments in parkdale for $699 month advertised 10 mins ago.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've always liked Shola too: not brilliant but a very useful squad player.

Yes, for shared the price range is OK. Markham, Brampton & Mississauga are comparatively a long way from downtown (30+ km). The commute by car is ill-advised and public transit is limited. I'd be like living in Morpeth and travelling by bus to S********d for work.
Was bad enough when I was doing my Master's Degree at Northumbria. I live in Ashington and the bus to Newcastle took 1 hour 20 minutes in the morning!

What about the York area? When I look on the map it looks like it is basically the city centre! When I look at people who say it's "within walking distance of the York Uni" they offer it for the summer. Would be quite nice to have it for a short while, considering with the funds I know I would definitely be able to afford it and then I could look for something else once it is up and I'm much clearer on where I am going.

Thanks for the website too!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:54 pm
Born again atheist

Was bad enough when I was doing my Master's Degree at Northumbria. I live in Ashington and the bus to Newcastle took 1 hour 20 minutes in the morning!

What about the York area? When I look on the map it looks like it is basically the city centre! When I look at people who say it's "within walking distance of the York Uni" they offer it for the summer. Would be quite nice to have it for a short while, considering with the funds I know I would definitely be able to afford it and then I could look for something else once it is up and I'm much clearer on where I am going.

Thanks for the website too!
There are a few OK areas near York Uni., but many more that are definitely not desirable. Not recommended.

When the new subway extension opens in 2014/15 the area may change for the better, but for the time being don't do it.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Brampton to TO. Google maps - Driving And definitely ill advised during rush hours/construction times/any time with slight snowfall.

At least double it for public transport.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

But Google Maps is your friend to research areas you hear good things about. Look for proximity to subway/street car/or GO train station if you're working down town.

If you drive, I also recommend using the 'Streetview' or 'Satellite' features to scout an area for things like parking restrictions (zoom in on signs) or requirements for parking permits.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by conjonway
But Google Maps is your friend to research areas you hear good things about. Look for proximity to subway/street car/or GO train station if you're working down town.

If you drive, I also recommend using the 'Streetview' or 'Satellite' features to scout an area for things like parking restrictions (zoom in on signs) or requirements for parking permits.
I'm on the IEC, so I don't really intend to be driving I don't think!

I guess what I should be really asking is what are the areas I should be really avoiding (like the areas filled with drug dealers on the street, etc).

I've had a read around and I've heard that a lot of places off Yonge Street or nice, is it fairly affordable?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:32 pm
Born again atheist

I'm on the IEC, so I don't really intend to be driving I don't think!

I guess what I should be really asking is what are the areas I should be really avoiding (like the areas filled with drug dealers on the street, etc).

I've had a read around and I've heard that a lot of places off Yonge Street or nice, is it fairly affordable?
I'd start by crossing the outer suburbs (such as the three you mentioned) off your list, then cross off the affordable areas in Scarborough, near York Uni., near the airport (I'm thinking Rexdale for example) and a few others, then see what's left.

If you can find something on the Bloor-Danforth subway line or on the Yonge-Finch line you'll be OK. Otherwise somewhere a (shortish) bus/streetcar ride from downtown. Parkdale was mentioned. In your case I'd start in the areas around U of T where there are lots of student lets.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 12th 2012 at 8:35 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen apartment buildings around yonge & eglinton in the 900 range. You can find bachelors and 1 beds but you won't have any amenities to speak of. Mind you, you'd be in the city and on a subway line.

Craigslist is a good place. Just beware of the scammers on there.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

South East Etobicoke along the Queensway near Park Lawn was great for us. Close to everything including all transit, great food, good shopping, just off the highway. Low cost apartments and the neighbours were always friendly. The older buildings were great because they don't allow the sound to travel. Good luck!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

sarah_m will become famous soon enoughsarah_m will become famous soon enough

When I was in Toronto, I was living in the Annex area of Toronto for 2 years (Bathurst/Bloor). It is quite a studenty area, but I really loved it! It has great transport links and you're within walking distance of little italy (on college street), which is another cool area. I really didn't like street cars and so I opted for living on the subway line. I found a room in a 3 bed house right on Bathurst street for $567 all bills included. The walk to the subway was about 7 minutes so really close. I was lucky to find such a cheap room but you can find them. Just look on craigslist and viewit.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Secam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to all

[QUOTE=There should be a lot on the market for May 1st because most UofT /Ryerson students will be off for the summer. It's a start and by Aug. you'll know your way around much more.[/QUOTE]

This is great advice. Students return home for the summer, but still have to pay rent on their shared homes or apartments. They'd be happy to get a few hundred a month as it's better than nothing.

My kids were committed to pay $450 to $500 a month through the summer and were thrilled to sublet at $350.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.