Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to Toronto with family

moving to Toronto with family

Old Jun 25th 2011, 9:52 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Toronto with family

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm not going to address your question directly: Instead I'm going to tell you how it really works.

The kids will be fine if you are.
Originally Posted by HGerchikov
x2
x3 - this goes for an awful lot more than just choice of schools
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

northerndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nice

I would look north, we are in Uxbridge and are having a great time, admittedly we came from a tiny village in West Sussex so ANY shops within 10 miles is a bonus but the schools are very good, plenty of walking trails and 35 min drive to your hubbys work.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
It depends what you are looking for really, but I would not discount some of the areas in East Toronto which make for a decent commute to Richmond Hill. We live in the Danforth region and my partner hops onto the Don Valley Parkway, then 404, and his morning/evening commute takes between 25-30 minutes.

I was surprised when I moved here that neighbourhoods such as Danforth, Leslieville, Beaches (all on the eastern side of Toronto, but still considered part of the city) all are in spitting distance of the city (Danforth probably better as it hugs the Bloor subway line), but have a nice community feel of their own. I don't drive here, as we only have one car, and I also don't work (legally can't as awaiting visas yawn) and I am so thankful that we live where we do. I have everything I need in walking distance on the Danforth (supermarkets, post office, banks, nice food shops, coffee, exercise places), but if I need to get into the city, it's 3 stops (possibly 4 I think to Yonge & Bloor) or there are streetcars too. I'm not sure if you are planning on being a 2 car family, if you are, then it's less of a consideration for you. Nothing against Richmond Hill, but I think if I had been based there, without a car I would have gone stir crazy by now.
We're off the Danforth too -- see you in Withrow Park sometime! I'll be the one with the hyper-excitable kids and english accent (maybe doesn't narrow it down).
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
We're off the Danforth too -- see you in Withrow Park sometime! I'll be the one with the hyper-excitable kids and english accent (maybe doesn't narrow it down).
ha ha, well I'll look out for you! Where are you moving from? I hope you like Greek food!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 3:24 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter lives just off Danforth and whenever I visit I like to go to Zorba's for a meal. It's on the south side, just east of Pape. Not fancy but very good value. The lamb is always excellent.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
My daughter lives just off Danforth and whenever I visit I like to go to Zorba's for a meal. It's on the south side, just east of Pape. Not fancy but very good value. The lamb is always excellent.
I heard that Zorba's was worth a trip. I have a coupon for it, so must give it a go. At the moment I'm stuck on the new gelato place not far from Logan & Danforth. It's very good.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha, well I'll look out for you! Where are you moving from? I hope you like Greek food!
We're here already - have been for a year. Where are you, Southside or Northside?

New Gelato place is lush. The Greek's not bad, but thankfully there are plenty of Sushi places to give a bit of variety.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Northside, closer to Broadview & Danforth. Loving the area. Like someone else said, it's got the best of both worlds, close enough to the city, but with a neighbourhood feel.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Northside, closer to Broadview & Danforth. Loving the area. Like someone else said, it's got the best of both worlds, close enough to the city, but with a neighbourhood feel.
We're Northside too - between Chester and Pape stns. Do you have young kids? They probably go to the same school as mine...

Echo what you just said.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by London Mike
We're Northside too - between Chester and Pape stns. Do you have young kids? They probably go to the same school as mine...

Echo what you just said.
Nope, no kiddliwinks just yet. I'm enjoying the benefits of being a self-enforced housewife without the responsibilty of kids....yet!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

bmnewmarket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bombards
Don't rule out Aurora or South Newmarket - Stonehaven sub division for example.
Do you live in the stonehaven sub division? Get location close to the 404 shame about the new houses being built on leslie but still a great place to live.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bmnewmarket
Do you live in the stonehaven sub division? Get location close to the 404 shame about the new houses being built on leslie but still a great place to live.
Yes we do....it's a wonderful place to bring up kids! Very safe!!!! If you have any questions, just ask.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

bmnewmarket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bombards
Yes we do....it's a wonderful place to bring up kids! Very safe!!!! If you have any questions, just ask.
No questions I live in the same sub division!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bmnewmarket
No questions I live in the same sub division!
OMG - Shaun?