Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to Toronto with family

moving to Toronto with family

Old Jun 21st 2011, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

anglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to all
Default moving to Toronto with family

Hi there
Am new to the site and hoping for some sound advice/help!
My husband has just accepted an international 3yr assignment to Canada with his employer, we have just heard we are likely to be moving beg Sept! Scary but exciting.
His company are based in Richmond Hill, Toronto. We currently live in Hampshire in the UK, have 2 children (8 and 4) - as we intend to come back, we will rent our house here and rent out there.
As we are lucky enough to be moving with an employer, all paperwork will be sorted out by them and we will (hopefully shortly!) have relocation agent to help us. My main concern is schooling - private v state - have started internet research, but would be happy for any tips. Want to ensure my son is ok to slot back into school in UK potentially in time to start secondary. Will be doing a reccie end July, but won't have address by then so not sure if that will pose a problem with state schools? Have heard state school system good, but worried that settling in process may be tougher for him. Also how do you apply for state schools - is it like in UK, where popular schools will all be full and running waiting lists by now? How would you get a place if you have to be living in catchment, when you are coming from overseas and don't have a fixed address as yet?
So need to focus on areas in Greater Toronto, low crime, family focussed, easy commute to Richmond Hill...any thoughts on areas to consider and views on our schooling options welcome! Thanks!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:11 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Toronto with family

Paging Novocastrian. Would Novocastrian step up to the microphone.....

(Our most venerated of Richmond Hill dwelling posters).
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

It depends what you are looking for really, but I would not discount some of the areas in East Toronto which make for a decent commute to Richmond Hill. We live in the Danforth region and my partner hops onto the Don Valley Parkway, then 404, and his morning/evening commute takes between 25-30 minutes.

I was surprised when I moved here that neighbourhoods such as Danforth, Leslieville, Beaches (all on the eastern side of Toronto, but still considered part of the city) all are in spitting distance of the city (Danforth probably better as it hugs the Bloor subway line), but have a nice community feel of their own. I don't drive here, as we only have one car, and I also don't work (legally can't as awaiting visas yawn) and I am so thankful that we live where we do. I have everything I need in walking distance on the Danforth (supermarkets, post office, banks, nice food shops, coffee, exercise places), but if I need to get into the city, it's 3 stops (possibly 4 I think to Yonge & Bloor) or there are streetcars too. I'm not sure if you are planning on being a 2 car family, if you are, then it's less of a consideration for you. Nothing against Richmond Hill, but I think if I had been based there, without a car I would have gone stir crazy by now.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
It depends what you are looking for really, but I would not discount some of the areas in East Toronto which make for a decent commute to Richmond Hill. We live in the Danforth region and my partner hops onto the Don Valley Parkway, then 404, and his morning/evening commute takes between 25-30 minutes.

I was surprised when I moved here that neighbourhoods such as Danforth, Leslieville, Beaches (all on the eastern side of Toronto, but still considered part of the city) all are in spitting distance of the city (Danforth probably better as it hugs the Bloor subway line), but have a nice community feel of their own. I don't drive here, as we only have one car, and I also don't work (legally can't as awaiting visas yawn) and I am so thankful that we live where we do. I have everything I need in walking distance on the Danforth (supermarkets, post office, banks, nice food shops, coffee, exercise places), but if I need to get into the city, it's 3 stops (possibly 4 I think to Yonge & Bloor) or there are streetcars too. I'm not sure if you are planning on being a 2 car family, if you are, then it's less of a consideration for you. Nothing against Richmond Hill, but I think if I had been based there, without a car I would have gone stir crazy by now.
I agree with the sentiment here but I commuted from the Beach to the northern suburbs (Gordon Baker Road, next to the 404 north of the 401) and even tried commuting to Markham. It was hellish getting to the highway. Danforth would work, if near the ramp at Broadview, or maybe Yonge/Davisville or Leaside. Both are a bit suburban but still on the subway.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

anglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to all

Thats a helpful point victorfoxtrot, thanks. I started by assuming that we should be as close as possible to Richmond Hill but thats not necessarily the case. As my husband works for a car company, we are likely to have 2 cars but I don't want to drive everywhere. Would be nice to feel like we live in some sort of community - we currently live in a village, and I'm up for a new experience, but don't fancy soulless suburb! If thats what Richmond hill is like?? I won't be working initially so links through school and local communithy will be important. Any views on schools in your area by chance? Since I have kids, school has to be our first priority really
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Paging Novocastrian. Would Novocastrian step up to the microphone.....

(Our most venerated of Richmond Hill dwelling posters).
You rang, sir?

To the OP;

I live in the Mill Pond area of Richmond Hill, served by Alexander Mackenzie SS. My kids didn't go there (another SS, Richmond Hill High, used to be closer to us but has since relocated further north). Many of their friends however went to Mack and it's pretty good.

You should be able to find a rental house in the catchment district quite easily.

Ask if you'd like more info on the area.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anglaisfrancais
Thats a helpful point victorfoxtrot, thanks. I started by assuming that we should be as close as possible to Richmond Hill but thats not necessarily the case. As my husband works for a car company, we are likely to have 2 cars but I don't want to drive everywhere. Would be nice to feel like we live in some sort of community - we currently live in a village, and I'm up for a new experience, but don't fancy soulless suburb! If thats what Richmond hill is like?? I won't be working initially so links through school and local communithy will be important. Any views on schools in your area by chance? Since I have kids, school has to be our first priority really
English or French language school?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Parts of it are soulless suburbs, but the Mill Pond area is not.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry didn't want to sound like I was criticising an area I know nothing about! Was just reading between the lines...But thanks, will look into the school. Hubby's company policy is state schooling if in English speaking country, so happy with that as long as places available at decent schools! Lots of considerations obviously but I think I'd rather be a little further out of the city.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

thanks dbd33, English speaking (I speak both but rest of my family not so fluent!!)
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure others will have a differing opinion of the suburbs, it is each to their own. I'm a London suburbs girl, but the comparison really isn't the same. I'm just pleasantly surprised that some of the eastern areas of TO. have a good community feel to them, so coming from a village, it will be livelier, but think you may like it. When you are here on your reccie in July be sure to check them out and have a wander around. Beaches is nice....as the name suggests they have beaches along the shores of Lake Ontario, although it woudl be the further away for your husbands commute. I don't have kids I'm afraid so cannot advise on the school situation. I do have a friend who sends her kids to Montcrest school on Broadview Ave, and she is impressed with it - it's private. I know nothing more than that, other than that there are schools....I see them around, whether they are good or not I can't comment, but the general opinion is that state education is pretty good here. Maybe some others with kids will be along to comment.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Danforth would work, if near the ramp at Broadview, or maybe Yonge/Davisville or Leaside. Both are a bit suburban but still on the subway.
We are really close by to it so that's what makes it a great commute. Fair point that the closer to the lake you are the longer the drive to the Don Valley. Generally though my partner finds it a good commute because he's always going against the flow of traffic that is coming into the city of a morning and heading out at night.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
Generally though my partner finds it a good commute because he's always going against the flow of traffic that is coming into the city of a morning and heading out at night.
It's better than going the other way but not so much as one would think. I also commuted from the Beach to Guelph and from the St. Lawrence Market to someplace up the 404. In all cases the time to drive for work was twice or three times the time to drive in the middle of the night.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: moving to Toronto with family

Meant to specify, interested mainly in primary/elementary schools as kids young and may (who knows!) only be in Canada for 2-3 yrs. Any info-all good!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:47 pm
Born again atheist

Sorry didn't want to sound like I was criticising an area I know nothing about! Was just reading between the lines...But thanks, will look into the school. Hubby's company policy is state schooling if in English speaking country, so happy with that as long as places available at decent schools! Lots of considerations obviously but I think I'd rather be a little further out of the city.
Oh, no, you're right to ask.

A little further out of the city / not soulless suburbs? Maybe parts of Oak Ridges, the area of Unionville around Main Street, perhaps (further away) Kleinburg?

BTW at this stage do you have any idea of what you can afford for rent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.