Reload this Page >

Moving to Saskatoon, Help!!

Moving to Saskatoon, Help!!

Old Jan 1st 2015, 9:51 pm
R08
Forum Regular

R08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Saskatoon, Help!!

Hi, i will be moving to Sakatoon at the end of this month, i have a job as an electrician but I'm finding it hard to rent out a property while still in the UK. Does anybody have any tips on Rental properties or car rental as i will need a car for work. I hope to buy one pretty quick as not to waste money. My wife and kids aren't moving over till march but i need to get things sorted before they arrive. Any info will be gratefully received being a newby at this. A big thanks in advance.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 9:49 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Saskatoon, Help!!

Welcome to the forum and good luck!
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

Kijiji saskatoon is the best place to look for cars and rental properties.

I think you may struggle to rent a place before you move out and the landlord has met you, think if you got a call from someone claiming they where moving here and would like to rent your house without seeing it or them seeing you. so you may be stuck in a hotel for a number of weeks, its a costly situation as hotels are not cheap if you end up in a hotel for a month and renting a car for a few weeks kiss goodbye to $5K.

with any luck you negotiated relocation expenses and can expense it to your employer. Is your employer giving you any help? could they for instance ask if anyone has or knows someone with a property for rent that might get you somewhere without the person meeting you as they know you are serious and real.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:30 pm
R08
Forum Regular

Thanks John, I can see it from a landlords point of view but i was hoping not to spend lots of unnecessary cash. I have a job offer but it has no relocation package attached to it. Ive checked Kijiji out and plenty of rentals on there.
Do you live in or around Saskatoon and if so any info about the area would be appreciated.Cheers
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

The Saskatoon rental market has been seriously oversubscribed for years; when I moved here the rent my girlfriend paid had nearly doubled in two years and rental vacancies were <1%. I seem to remember hearing on the radio that the population increased by nearly 20,000 last year, though that may have been the province as a whole. Certainly they're still throwing houses and condos up like crazy all around the city.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:18 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

THIS may help.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

yes i live in Saskatoon, my advise on areas would be to avoid alphabet city which is the area with a letter as the street name ie Avenue J, most of the crappy areas are on the west side of the river but the are plenty of good areas there as well. East side of the river is good but tends to be more expensive.

google street view is always good to look round an area, see if it looks tidy well kept etc.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 12:53 pm
R08
Forum Regular

A big thanks to everyone for the information
Old Jan 18th 2015, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Rooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Toon town 6 years ago so if you want to ask any questions feel free.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

rustrash is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey.
I have been in the same situation. My wife and i have just moved to Regina in July last year and where having the same problems.
kijiji does not allow you to sent email from outside of Canada.
what i did at first was go to a phone shop and buy a overseas sim card and texted people telling them my situation and asked to get in touch via Skype or email.
what i ended up doing is moving over first, rented a room in a shared home and then found it alot easier finding a more permanent rent while i was in Regina with a new email address (not .co.uk) and with my new Canadian cell number.

hope this helps
Old Jan 26th 2015, 7:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rustrash
Hey.
I have been in the same situation. My wife and i have just moved to Regina in July last year and where having the same problems.
kijiji does not allow you to sent email from outside of Canada.
what i did at first was go to a phone shop and buy a overseas sim card and texted people telling them my situation and asked to get in touch via Skype or email.
what i ended up doing is moving over first, rented a room in a shared home and then found it alot easier finding a more permanent rent while i was in Regina with a new email address (not .co.uk) and with my new Canadian cell number.

hope this helps
Get a yahoo.ca email address if you need to email as if in Canada.

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments is pretty good for street views, walking distance to local amenities etc.

Old Jan 26th 2015, 8:21 pm
R08
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the info Rustrash and Siouxie it is greatly received. Anything Rooander would a great help about anything at all.
So Rustrash how you finding it out there. I'll be out there at the beginning of Feb and now it's getting close I'm getting nervous. You settled in with work ok and the weather of course.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

kellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond reputekellys247 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we moved to regina in November, we were having the same problems you're having. We got a Yahoo.ca account and still nobody replied. We found that texting or phoning was more successful. Luckily my husbands boss went and viewed houses for us and took pictures of the things they don't show you in the ad. Found a property we liked and wired a deposit to the landlords and paid the rest when we got here. If you have someone that can go and view that should help loads. Hope you get something sorted