Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to red deer with kids

Wikiposts

moving to red deer with kids

Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of
Default Re: moving to red deer with kids

Originally Posted by strawberrybec
Hi Shunter, could you tell me what age is pre-kindergarten as I am a little confused whether my 3 year old will be able to join or not? Thanks

Hey, just spoke to the school and they said Pre Kinder (age 3/4) is usually only for Developmental Delay and English Language assistance, this is an Alberta wide system. They have a couple of places per year/per facility for applications for kids with older siblings in the school but this would not be free and you would be applying along with everyone else for very few places within the city.

There is a Private run play school within our school also which runs 2 days per week and also is not free. Apparently there are a lot of these private groups around the city, two examples are Kerry Wood Nature Reserve and the Collicutt Center. These programs have a particular focus depending on the place ie. Kerry Wood will be nature related and the Collicutt, being a sports center and pool is activity focused. There will be others but bear in mind they are not linked to any foundation curriculum as Pre schools are in the UK because schooling here doesn't start until age 5. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
Hi Strawb. I generally reckon that the best neighbourhoods are centred around the best schools. People on here will tell you that all the schools are the same. It's true that there isn't the huge variation that you get in UK, but some are better than others.
Look at the Fraser Institutes, www.compareschoolrankings.org. You will find all you need to know there. Print out a map and mark off all the top ranked schools, this is what we did and it worked a treat, it makes seeing the surrounding neighbourhoods super easy.
Good Luck
Lol I was intrigued at this so I went on to see where our school ranked and only 8 of Red Deer's schools appeared and ours not at all. The best ranking school on there is in one of the worst neighborhoods
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:32 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shunter1977
Lol I was intrigued at this so I went on to see where our school ranked and only 8 of Red Deer's schools appeared and ours not at all. The best ranking school on there is in one of the worst neighborhoods
OK so your comments intrigued me are you talking about the 2 schools in Waskasoo, down townish? Worst Neighbourhood? Are you kidding? Have you seen the houses down in that area?? Some very very desirable houses in Waskasoo http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...dKey=159152902

I think you may need to go for a drive I wouldn't hesitate to live in that area...if I had to still be in town that is.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

I'm with Piff Poss - Waskasoo is very nice, so long as you can cope with the age of the houses!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
OK so your comments intrigued me are you talking about the 2 schools in Waskasoo, down townish? Worst Neighbourhood? Are you kidding? Have you seen the houses down in that area?? Some very very desirable houses in Waskasoo http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...dKey=159152902

I think you may need to go for a drive I wouldn't hesitate to live in that area...if I had to still be in town that is.
Really?? i've not driven into the areas only through to get to Kerry Wood so I can't say about the houses but one of Steve's friends from work has very recently started renting a house just off 55 St. (not actually in Waskasoo) not far from the school and Shaw refused to go there and connect because that house was marked as dangerous in the past and the area was known for crime and drugs!!

Perhaps although they are relatively close in terms of distance the two areas are vastly different??
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Try this site for rentals.
I was recommended this by a very good friend and realtor.

http://www.therealtystore.ca/

I had a nice rental apartment in a condo in Johnstone Park.

MJ
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:27 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Really?? i've not driven into the areas only through to get to Kerry Wood so I can't say about the houses but one of Steve's friends from work has very recently started renting a house just off 55 St. (not actually in Waskasoo) not far from the school and Shaw refused to go there and connect because that house was marked as dangerous in the past and the area was known for crime and drugs!!

Perhaps although they are relatively close in terms of distance the two areas are vastly different??
Yep there are a few neighbourhoods a bit like that, highland green, Oriole park, normandeau, spring straight to mind but nothing that would write a whole area off imo, you can tell quite easily where the less desirable areas as the grass will be longer
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yep there are a few neighbourhoods a bit like that, highland green, Oriole park, normandeau, spring straight to mind but nothing that would write a whole area off imo, you can tell quite easily where the less desirable areas as the grass will be longer
Yes I suppose that would be true about not writing off a whole area as a couple of people have said how nice Oriole Park is although I think MJ said the old part isn't so nice. Think i'll stick to South of the river......the grass is shorter
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:29 pm

Yes I suppose that would be true about not writing off a whole area as a couple of people have said how nice Oriole Park is although I think MJ said the old part isn't so nice. Think i'll stick to South of the river......the grass is shorter
Exactly, some parts of Oriole Park are lovely