Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Red Deer from England - Help

Moving to Red Deer from England - Help

Old Oct 23rd 2018, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Kellyjane85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Red Deer from England - Help

Hi myself my partner and my 6 yr old daughter are starting to plan to move to Red Deer in Alberta. We know people who live in Red Deer and have visited Red Deer in February so are aware of the Winters over there.
My partner would get a job very easily over there with our friends brother. Ive heard there is an express visa available for skilled workers so was wondering if anyone has done this visa and if so how quickly was you accepted? and any other information you could give us as to what to expect going forward?

Also any comments on life in Red deer would be great aswell?

Thanks in advance for all you comments
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 2:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Red Deer from England - Help

Originally Posted by Kellyjane85
Hi myself my partner and my 6 yr old daughter are starting to plan to move to Red Deer in Alberta. We know people who live in Red Deer and have visited Red Deer in February so are aware of the Winters over there.
My partner would get a job very easily over there with our friends brother. Ive heard there is an express visa available for skilled workers so was wondering if anyone has done this visa and if so how quickly was you accepted? and any other information you could give us as to what to expect going forward?

Hello and welcome to BE!
If you have questions about immigration / work permits etc., please post a new thread in our Immigration Forum as you will receive relevant advice there - the Canada forum is for general questions about Canada not including immigration.. . https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi...hip-canada-33/

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 23rd 2018 at 2:45 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 10:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Crime levels have increased exponentially in the last couple of years, especially with the downturn of the oil and gas industry, not looking to get any better any time soon. Red Deer isn't the 'nice' little city it used to be, you have to lock your cars and houses up these days Jobs are fairly hard to come by, lots of people going for the same positions, not as many positions open.

The transit system within the city is decent, not a lot goes on (it's called Dead Rear for a reason). Schools are decent. Slightly too far for a day trip to the mountains but it is do-able. Calgary and Edmonton are close enough when you start to get stir crazy. The winters are Looong.

I no longer love where we live, so will focus slightly more on the negative but if you have questions fire away. This will be our 14th winter, hoping it's not as cold as last year. We've already had snow. Winter driving never get easier or better. Warmed up slightly for now but the deep freeze is coming.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 4:09 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

To follow up on Piff Poffs points, Red Deer ranked:

Just some food for thought...
Old Oct 24th 2018, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Crime levels have increased exponentially in the last couple of years, especially with the downturn of the oil and gas industry, not looking to get any better any time soon. Red Deer isn't the 'nice' little city it used to be, you have to lock your cars and houses up these days Jobs are fairly hard to come by, lots of people going for the same positions, not as many positions open.

The transit system within the city is decent, not a lot goes on (it's called Dead Rear for a reason). Schools are decent. Slightly too far for a day trip to the mountains but it is do-able. Calgary and Edmonton are close enough when you start to get stir crazy. The winters are Looong.

I no longer love where we live, so will focus slightly more on the negative but if you have questions fire away. This will be our 14th winter, hoping it's not as cold as last year. We've already had snow. Winter driving never get easier or better. Warmed up slightly for now but the deep freeze is coming.
Sorry to read that Piff Poff, it's sad things have gone that way. Hopefully a change of government or policies will encourage more investment in Canada and Alberta specifically and so these economic problems will resolve. It just shows how quickly things can change.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 9:56 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Lets hope a change in government brings some good changes. When we arrived it was boomtime. Life was great, money was everywhere, crime stats were low and housing was hard to come by - zero rental availability. But now with so many people out of work or earning lower wages they are finding other ways to find money. Homeless camps are easy to spot. https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news...p-in-red-deer/ I know several people that have had vehicles broken into/stolen, a friend was held up by knife, so it's not just I heard so and so's friend, it's people I know.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 12:20 am

https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places-2019/?fbclid=IwAR1wioJGtgtI6pwJXvozZ5TpXb1A-bsUQz8kgKmvAy3EjJDc9ZVxGUIpQxQ
Old Nov 7th 2018, 1:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places-2019/?fbclid=IwAR1wioJGtgtI6pwJXvozZ5TpXb1A-bsUQz8kgKmvAy3EjJDc9ZVxGUIpQxQ
Wow, does anyone drive sober in Red Deer?
Old Nov 7th 2018, 2:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Could this be one of those cases where (made up figures) a third of accidents involve drunk driving, so seeing sober drivers involved in two-thirds, everyone decides to drink and drive in an effort to halve the two-thirds rate?

(not that drunk driving is a laughing matter of course)
Old Nov 8th 2018, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
still socially acceptable unfortunately. The old farts at the show n shines sit drinking beer all day, disguised in pop can sleeves. OH is always working on cars that have the breath test things in them. And now there are going to be even more driving high.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

Doom and gloom for red deer on here. I lived there for 8 months and it's fine, visible crime is pretty low and people drive a little over the limit in red deer but are still better than all sober drivers in Calgary.
it's location again. North of the river is apparently high crime butt see high crime in Canada as drugs mainly. I lived on the edge of a "rough area" and regularly strolled to liquor store at night with no bother at all. This dangerous city list is absolute crap. Areas of Calgary are a lot worse than red deer. Mountains is a stretch for a day trip but go to Rocky mountain house Friday night and then hit the David Thompson highway to nordegg the next day and your in the most beautiful area without the tourist crap from Banff.
highway 2 heading to Calgary is nasty in winter. but north to Edmonton is trouble free. Most concerts take place in Edmonton so your close to that also. Job wise is field specific I drove lorries in the oilfield and they're is a bunch of work in red deer for that. Rent is expensive I find though.
winters in Canada I find are rated a lot worse than you would Think,
mainly by Canadians showing you how easy they find it but you will find it tough.. It's all crap, decent clothes and layers and the dry cold is easy to warm up from. I would recommend winter tyres though.
I worked in fort McKay outdoors in minus 50 with wind chill with longjohns, t shirt, shirt, hoodie, coat and overalls and it was more than tolerable.
I'm not so sure how the area will fare after oil consumption reduces or the province for that matter but that depends what direction you think the world will go.
I did express entry as a pipefitter for skilled visa and it's a right headache double check all documentation before submission and don't expect quick responses from the immigration people.
what's your fella do for a living?
Old Nov 16th 2018, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
Doom and gloom for red deer on here. I lived there for 8 months and it's fine, visible crime is pretty low and people drive a little over the limit in red deer but are still better than all sober drivers in Calgary.
it's location again. North of the river is apparently high crime butt see high crime in Canada as drugs mainly. I lived on the edge of a "rough area" and regularly strolled to liquor store at night with no bother at all. This dangerous city list is absolute crap. Areas of Calgary are a lot worse than red deer. Mountains is a stretch for a day trip but go to Rocky mountain house Friday night and then hit the David Thompson highway to nordegg the next day and your in the most beautiful area without the tourist crap from Banff.
highway 2 heading to Calgary is nasty in winter. but north to Edmonton is trouble free. Most concerts take place in Edmonton so your close to that also. Job wise is field specific I drove lorries in the oilfield and they're is a bunch of work in red deer for that. Rent is expensive I find though.
winters in Canada I find are rated a lot worse than you would Think,
mainly by Canadians showing you how easy they find it but you will find it tough.. It's all crap, decent clothes and layers and the dry cold is easy to warm up from. I would recommend winter tyres though.
I worked in fort McKay outdoors in minus 50 with wind chill with longjohns, t shirt, shirt, hoodie, coat and overalls and it was more than tolerable.
I'm not so sure how the area will fare after oil consumption reduces or the province for that matter but that depends what direction you think the world will go.
I did express entry as a pipefitter for skilled visa and it's a right headache double check all documentation before submission and don't expect quick responses from the immigration people.
what's your fella do for a living?
I would have said much the same as you about Red Deer a couple of years ago. Things changed quite dramatically in the last 6-12 months. The North/South divide no longer rings true and with all the development in the Soouth, it's really busy for traffic. However Hwy 2 to Edmonton is worse than to Calgary - especially around Leduc. Equal amount of concerts in Calgary imo. Also Red Deer now has roundabouts. They are 'fun' in the summer and absolutley mind blowing in the winter.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Very surprising and disturbing to hear what has happened in Red Deer . . . especially to those of us who associated it with different circumstances. I know of someone who grew up there, and described the town as idyllic. But that was a long time ago. Thank you to the posters for their contributions and insight.
Old Nov 16th 2018, 11:44 pm

They are trying to clean the city up, more police downtown etc. Got to put most of the issues down to a poor economy. When we 1st moved here the economy was booming, wages were high and jobs plentiful, if you got called for an interview the job was yours, you could then leave that job for a higher paid one the next week. 14 years on, people are struggling to afford all their toys and houses, a minority are resorting to crime.

good things include all the walking trails, someone fresh off the boat as it were will feel just as safe as they did walking around in the UK - being aware of surroundings etc, not taking risks at night and so on. I personally wouldn't go downtown on my own after dark once the shops were closed. Considering a friend was mugged at knifepoint one weekday lunchtime, friend made enough noise that she was unhurt, kept her belongings and culprit was arrested.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 4:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kellyjane85

Speaking as someone who has never been to Red Deer (and never will go), I'll focus on visas. How will your partner get one? Your friend's brother would most likely (certainly) need to get an LMIA to make a valid job offer for immigration purposes. I rather suspect that neither you or he know what that is.

Read the Wiki.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.