Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ontario with PR

Moving to Ontario with PR

Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:34 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice
Default Moving to Ontario with PR

Hi All,

My family and I have PR which needs to be taken by Aug 2nd, when the medical expires.

Myself and wife are visiting Ontario on a final research trip in May.

Can I take up residency on this date and apply for SIN numbers etc.
We also have have two young children and the original plan was for the four of us to emigrate in June / July but perhaps it may be of advantage to process papaerwork earlier ?

Having read a number of threads on the forum, I am under the impression that I getting my SIN number my take a number of weeks, therefore making me unavailable for work in the first few weeks.

Any comments appreciated.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to Ontario with PR

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Hi All,

My family and I have PR which needs to be taken by Aug 2nd, when the medical expires.

Myself and wife are visiting Ontario on a final research trip in May.

Can I take up residency on this date and apply for SIN numbers etc.
We also have have two young children and the original plan was for the four of us to emigrate in June / July but perhaps it may be of advantage to process papaerwork earlier ?

Having read a number of threads on the forum, I am under the impression that I getting my SIN number my take a number of weeks, therefore making me unavailable for work in the first few weeks.

Any comments appreciated.
Don't bother about that. Apply for jobs now, network, take your resume into companies and harrass them into giving you an interview. It's hard work finding work here so don't wait until you receive your SIN. If they like you they'll wait for it.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:42 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by seacreature
Don't bother about that. Apply for jobs now, network, take your resume into companies and harrass them into giving you an interview. It's hard work finding work here so don't wait until you receive your SIN. If they like you they'll wait for it.
Cheers for prompt reply.

I Thought that a SIN number was a pre - req for employment ??
Any hints on networking appreciated. (See my other thread for work details)
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:56 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

)
You have to have it to get paid,
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

When you apply you get a receipt stating that they are processing it. That should be enough to convince anyone that you have it coming.

Cheers for prompt reply.

Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:18 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Originally Posted by skigordi
When you apply you get a receipt stating that they are processing it. That should be enough to convince anyone that you have it coming.
Cheers,
Self / Wife visiting in May with view to emigrating late June. Should I advise Canadiam Immigration in May and then it could be in process whilst I,m still here in blighty ??
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

If you have proof of PR in May then you can apply (only takes 5 minutes at the office, not the airport) You do need an address here where they cans end your SIN card though.

Cheers,
Self / Wife visiting in May with view to emigrating late June. Should I advise Canadiam Immigration in May and then it could be in process whilst I,m still here in blighty ??
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:25 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Originally Posted by skigordi
If you have proof of PR in May then you can apply (only takes 5 minutes at the office, not the airport) You do need an address here where they cans end your SIN card though.
Many thanks Gordi,

Sorry for the ignorance but which office ? I,m not familiar with the working of the UK social system never mind Ontario's.
We have mates in Newmarket that I could use as a postal drop box.
Do I need a photograph etc for the application.

Also are there any other documents that I could start the moving before coming over permanently
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

You need to go to the HDRC office. There is one in Newmarket on Davis Drive in the old Tannery building. Check ont he web for the address. You don't need an appointment but the web will confirm the paperwork you need. No picture needed for the SIN card.

If you officially 'land' then your health card kicks in 3 months from that date (but only for you and your wife, the kids are 3 months from when they arrive) You only need to apply for the OHIP card a couple of weeks beforehand but depending on when you wil arrive you could also apply for that (actually you can do it in the same building as the HDRC office in Newmarket)

Many thanks Gordi,

Sorry for the ignorance but which office ? I,m not familiar with the working of the UK social system never mind Ontario's.
We have mates in Newmarket that I could use as a postal drop box.
Do I need a photograph etc for the application.

Also are there any other documents that I could start the moving before coming over permanently
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Cheers for prompt reply.

No. You can apply without one. Don't tell them you don't have it yet, until they've hired you. It'll just put them off.
The key to getting work here is to ring companies (or go in person), tell them about yourself and ask for an interview. You really have to be very forceful.
Just posting your CV works in Britain, but not here. I'd also volunteer for something/anything straight away as you can use that as a reference and as proof of Canadian Experience.
Whatever you do, don't rely on Workopolis/Monster or agencies to find jobs, they're utterly useless. No-one ever replies to your applications (I sent off hundreds). I've had 4 jobs in Canada, the first one was obtained through a friend, the other 3 I got by walking into the place and hassling them for an interview straight away. On all 3 occassions I was given an interview.
Unfortunately for better jobs this isn't always possible. I tried this tactic with IT/engineering companies & banks and was told to apply on-line!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:51 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Originally Posted by seacreature
No. You can apply without one. Don't tell them you don't have it yet, until they've hired you. It'll just put them off.
The key to getting work here is to ring companies (or go in person), tell them about yourself and ask for an interview. You really have to be very forceful.
Just posting your CV works in Britain, but not here. I'd also volunteer for something/anything straight away as you can use that as a reference and as proof of Canadian Experience.
Whatever you do, don't rely on Workopolis/Monster or agencies to find jobs, they're utterly useless. No-one ever replies to your applications (I sent off hundreds). I've had 4 jobs in Canada, the first one was obtained through a friend, the other 3 I got by walking into the place and hassling them for an interview straight away. On all 3 occassions I was given an interview.
Unfortunately for better jobs this isn't always possible. I tried this tactic with IT/engineering companies & banks and was told to apply on-line!

Cheers Seacreature.
Noticed from another thread that you're a fellow Manc but you're heading back to blighty. Pity it hasn't worked out but at least you went for it !
What line of work are you in mate?