Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to NOva Scotia

Moving to NOva Scotia

Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of
Default Moving to NOva Scotia

We are planning to move to NS in april on temp work visas then apply for PR once we are there can anyone tell me if this is a good idea (i.e the place, visa processes etc) as i am a bit scared of not finding jobs when we get there my hubby is a plasterer and i am working as a customer advisor but have a degree in literature, Big Wobbles especially since someone we know in calgary told us that NS had high levels of unemployment - HELP!!!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:13 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to NOva Scotia

Hi and Welcome to BE.

You need to have a job and positive LMO(labour market opinion) first before you are issued with a TWP.

Read through the Wiki here and you will get great advice on jobs etc.

Also plenty others on here going to NS so you should get good advice about it too.

Alison.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moosey2canada
We are planning to move to NS in april on temp work visas then apply for PR once we are there can anyone tell me if this is a good idea (i.e the place, visa processes etc) as i am a bit scared of not finding jobs when we get there my hubby is a plasterer and i am working as a customer advisor but have a degree in literature, Big Wobbles especially since someone we know in calgary told us that NS had high levels of unemployment - HELP!!!
We are in Nova Scotia at the moment. I think if you do a search you will find a lot of people have found when they move here that in general jobs get offered to locals first, Canadian's second and only then to people "from away". I think Charlie1 has posted some good comments on his experiences here so it might be worth looking at some of his old posts.
It also depends where in Nova Scotia you are looking at to settle. Around the HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality) you are going to find more jobs but the cost of living is higher, especially for housing and taxes. Have a look at
novascotiajobshop.ca
That might help you as it should show the sort of jobs on offer at the moment.
The few expats we have met here have had to take jobs lower than they are qualified for (ie shop assistants, call centres) just to get work, and I am not sure your degree would carry much weight here although I stand to be corrected.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE.
You have come to the right place in your quest for info on your move to Canada. Alison has given you the best advice - loads of reading up on all the info here on BE is the best place to start. You will then have a good general knowledge of the process and posibilities and will be able to ask fellow members more specific questions that you will no doubt need answering.

Best of luck in your quest to live your Canadian Dream.

Rob.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:32 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

You've got to remember that there are a lot of misconceptions about the maritimes amoung people in other regions of Canada. Loads of people have something to say about Nova Scotia but few of them have actually been here!

The comment about unemplyment is partly true and partly not. Taking an average of the province of a whole, NS does have higher unemployment than some other provinces (especially Alberta which has a sever shortage of almost every type of skills at the moment) but there are others that have higher and most of this refers to rural NS. The main city of Halifax has lower unemplyment than many other major Canadian cities like Toronto and Montreal. The job market in Nova Scotia is very focussed around greater Halifax (where nearly half the population of the province lives)

See the following news article that shows the rates for provinces and major cities... http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...907?hub=Canada