Moving to Newfoundland & Labrador

Wikiposts

Moving to Newfoundland & Labrador

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

scottabraham13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Newfoundland & Labrador

Hi There!

Just wanted to introduce myself and say what a great forum this is. I am currently going through the family class immigration process (my wife is Canadian) and I hope to be able to land in April/May.

I'm going to be living in St. John's, Newfoundland, so if there are any ex-pats that want to say hi and have a beer when I move then let me know!

Cheers,

Scott
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 9:38 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Newfoundland & Labrador

A very big Welcome to British Expats Scott!

How very exciting. We do have a couple of posters from around there who I am sure will be along to say Hello, and I'm sure would be happy to help if you have any questions.

Very best of luck
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

<Thats my cue...>

I've lived in (or near) St John's for the past 12 years or so and I'm also here because my wife is Canadian. (Actually she's a Newfoundlander first and a Canadian second...). Anything I can do to help just shout.

Beer is expensive here. $7+ a pint. Just so you know.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Oh, I know all about the price of beer I've been to the island on 4 previous occasions over the past few years. And I certainly know about being a Newfoundlander first and a Canadian second!

Thanks for the offer of assistance, I'll let you know if I can think of anything.

Scott
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:07 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottabraham13
Oh, I know all about the price of beer I've been to the island on 4 previous occasions over the past few years. And I certainly know about being a Newfoundlander first and a Canadian second!

Thanks for the offer of assistance, I'll let you know if I can think of anything.

Scott
As I say, happy to help. Do you have a job lined up when you get here?

Once you've posted three times, you can then send PM's if you wish.

Cheers
AX
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

sohasyoualreddylernedtufpseeklikesanewfie........

Sorry - being humorous! Visited NL a couple of years ago and loved St John's, George Street and Great Big Sea!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:19 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
sohasyoualreddylernedtufpseeklikesanewfie........

Sorry - being humorous! Visited NL a couple of years ago and loved St John's, George Street and Great Big Sea!!!
Or wha'?

Speak like a Newfie lesson one: Mudder I'm stuck.

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Or wha'?

Speak like a Newfie lesson one: Mudder I'm stuck.

Love the clip!!
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:34 am
Just Joined

Not got anything concrete yet. I'm a software developer. Just exploring a few different options at the minute.

What do you do?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
As I say, happy to help. Do you have a job lined up when you get here?

Once you've posted three times, you can then send PM's if you wish.

Cheers
AX
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:59 am
Slightly Canadian

Not got anything concrete yet. I'm a software developer. Just exploring a few different options at the minute.

What do you do?
I'm in Procurement.

If you don't have it already www.careerbeacon.com is a useful regional jobs website. Plus LinkedIn of course.

Be aware that the provincial economy is somewhat in the crapper at the moment. Downturn in oil and gas being the main driver plus an illjudged and worse managed hydro project that we and our children will pay for. Taxes are up, Govt has just laid off 300 managers & the axe will fall on unionised employees soon.

Good thing for the new immigrant is that house prices - which have grown considerably in the past decade are now in decline. Rental prices similarly.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Yeah a friend of mine got laid off yesterday. Not good.

I'm really looking forward to being able to actually afford to buy a house!! (with land!!)
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

feralbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do?
What area of software? Languages etc. etc.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 6:55 am
Just Joined

needmoretea is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Scott

We'll all keep our fingers crossed for your arrival in April/May, and meeting you for a beer!

As for the price of beer, there is a decent store where you can get all the things you need to brew your own... I've got a Belgian Trippel on the go that should be ready to bottle next week
Old Mar 5th 2017, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Beer sounds good! I think I have a gift card for a shop somewhere in St. John's that sells all of the equipment you need to brew. Once I get settled and get a shed then I'm going to be right on it...
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Once I get settled and get a shed then I'm going to be right on it...
A shed with liquids in it! Maybe in Summer.