Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

"Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

Old May 16th 2015, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

So the phrase "We are doing it for the kids" is a phrase that has been used by many (myself included admittedly in the past ) for the reason to emigrate.

If you made the move over to Canada, what has been the reality in regards to the "better for the kids" as a place to grow up?

Did you move away from the binge drinking, drug taking, aggressive culture of the UK and leave they problems behind?

Or have your kids encountered adolescent difficulties and pressures that made you think "this wasn't meant to happen in Canada?!"

And on the flip side, have you watched your kids grow up and overall made you think, yeah I'm glad we made the move...

Last edited by Roberto1980; May 16th 2015 at 8:18 pm.
Old May 16th 2015, 7:59 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Moving for the kids"... Experiences?

If your main reason for moving is for the kids then do not do it, its not worth it. There may not be binge drinking here on the levels that is percieved in the UK but there is drugs, lots of drugs, weed is readily available in schools, self harming is suggested amongst teens in high school as a stress relief - I didnt believe it when my friend told me her teen 3 years older than mine told me this, I did when my daughter told me after I had found her self harming.

If your going to emigrate do it for the adventure and the experience, not because you think something will be better.
Old May 16th 2015, 8:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980
So the phrase "We are doing it for the kids" is a phrase that has been used by many (myself included admittedly in the past ) for the reason to emigrate.

If you made the move over to Canada, what has been the reality in regards to the "better for the kids" as a place to grow up?

Did you move away from the binge drinking, drug taking, aggressive culture of the UK and leave they problems behind?

Or have your kids encountered adolescent difficulties that made you think "this wasn't meant to happen in Canada?!"
It depends on your social status, income level, place of residence, eduction level etc in the UK. Ask yourself if you're trading up. Will you earn significantly more in Canada? Canadian teenagers have the same teenage attitudes towards alcohol and drugs as their British counterparts. That said, depending on where you decide to live in Canada, they are far more likely to be shot here. Lots of guns come north across the border and there is lots of gang activity depending again on where you reside. For me, the quality of higher end education the UK would be a major factor of staying.
Old May 16th 2015, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, anybody that thinks 'this wasn't meant to happen in Canada' about adolescent difficulties including binge drinking or drugs is deluded at best. Alcohols and drugs are everywhere, and I'm sure nobody thinks that teenagers are suddenly immune to them in Canada......do they?

FWIW, my opinion is that I liked Canada a lot but it couldn't offer my kids anything that the UK can't.

The 'doing it for the kids' is an oft derided phrase on here, and you'll find a thread or two on the subject already!

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
If your going to emigrate do it for the adventure and the experience, not because you think something will be better.
+1.
Old May 16th 2015, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

I did when my daughter told me after I had found her self harming.

Very sorry to hear that. I have two daughters and it is a frightening thought of having to deal with something like that.

Suppose that is an example of the cultural differences I'm trying to find a little about. Negative or positive.
Old May 16th 2015, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

I'm sure nobody thinks that teenagers are suddenly immune to them in Canada......do they?

The 'doing it for the kids' is an oft derided phrase on here, and you'll find a thread or two on the subject already!

No I personally don't. I'm not that naïve.

That phrase may well be mocked on here by the 'experienced'.
But it is still used, albeit flippantly by some at times. And my opinion has certainly changed over the course of 8+ years since my wife and I thought about emigrating.

Pre kids there was obviously no real thought to it. Two daughters later it's a whole different ball game / mind set.

Hence the dabble in researching on here..
Old May 16th 2015, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Oink;11647879]

It depends on your social status, income level, place of residence, eduction level etc in the UK.

Ask yourself if you're trading up. Will you earn significantly more in Canada? Canadian teenagers have the same teenage attitudes towards alcohol and drugs as their British counterparts. QUOTE]

Wholeheartedly agree.
Old May 16th 2015, 9:20 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Canada is just another western country like the Uk, Oz, NZ, USA...

their flavours are different but they are fundamentally the same western countries with the same problems with drugs, alcohol, etc. Two of my friend's kids are getting into pot smoking pretty seriously - it's really not considered a big deal here culturally, whereas binge drinking is more frowned upon. Some of the smaller towns have problems with meth etc.
Old May 16th 2015, 9:41 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently binge drinking is actually on the downward trend in the UK.

Personally I think children are better off in the UK. They learn a greater sense of street smart and culture.

Growing up in Canada is like growing in a bubble devoid of much reality. They'll end up incapable of looking after themselves should they have to venture anywhere else.
Old May 17th 2015, 12:38 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's all a matter o circumstance. As Oink said, income, education, location, social strata, all have a bearing on whether on country is better for your kids than another. In the UK we lived in a nice part of SW London, had good jobs, an Ofsted "outstanding" school for the kids (albeit they were very young). Modest 1800 sq ft house.

In Canada we live in a pleasant middle class neighbourhood, with little crime, lovely countryside and ocean. Much bigger house. Not such good jobs. Nice school - perhaps a little more laid back than they would now be in if still in the UK.

Overall they have nice friends, seem to be in the "A" stream at school, ice home and gardens, generally safer environment. But they are missing out on the culture and history of England and Europe.

We're happy here, but don't move here "for the kids" alone.
Old May 17th 2015, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

My kids were 19, 18, 12 and 6 when we moved over in 2011. So I brought up two boys in the UK and am now bringing up two others in Canada...

I would say that the differences between the two older ones and the two younger ones is that they have swapped the temptations of alcohol for the temptations of drugs/weed. It's not quite that black and white but gives you an idea...

Other than that there is no major difference I don't think. They hang out with their friends just like the older two did in the UK... If anything I feel happier when my now 16 year old goes out with his friends as they are less likely to come across a gang of thugs/hoodies... But that could be just where we live here compared to the UK?! (Small town West Sussex v small town Ontario)
Old May 17th 2015, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

I/We did move here for the kids as they are coming to the end of their education.
Due to my job, I had to opportunity to transfer here from the UK.

My/Our thinking is that the kids will have more opportunity here.
There is more chance of an apprenticeship or training and employment than in the UK for young people.

However, my wife is struggling to settle.
The kids love it and have made lots of friends but would really love to get a part time job at Timmy's with their mates but due to work permit restrictions, they are unable to get a SIN.
My wife is struggling to get a job based on her UK qualifications unless retraining is done.

Everything seems around 15 years behind the times.
You have to go to the off sales (LCBO) to buy alcohol. You have to insure your car between 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday if you don't tick the relevant box. All shops actually shut (Especially LCBO) on bank holidays..................the busiest days!!!!

I do NOT want to go home and neither do the kids but my wife is really struggling, missing family and friends etc.

Although 3/4 of us wants to stay (for the sake of the children), we all came as one unit and if any of us want to go back home then we all go as one unit.

Hope that makes sense
I also hope my wife settles and when she gets a job she will feel less uncomfortable.
Old May 17th 2015, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodbhoy
I/We did move here for the kids as they are coming to the end of their education.
Due to my job, I had to opportunity to transfer here from the UK.

My/Our thinking is that the kids will have more opportunity here.
There is more chance of an apprenticeship or training and employment than in the UK for young people.

However, my wife is struggling to settle.
The kids love it and have made lots of friends but would really love to get a part time job at Timmy's with their mates but due to work permit restrictions, they are unable to get a SIN.
My wife is struggling to get a job based on her UK qualifications unless retraining is done.

Everything seems around 15 years behind the times.
You have to go to the off sales (LCBO) to buy alcohol. You have to insure your car between 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday if you don't tick the relevant box. All shops actually shut (Especially LCBO) on bank holidays..................the busiest days!!!!

I do NOT want to go home and neither do the kids but my wife is really struggling, missing family and friends etc.

Although 3/4 of us wants to stay (for the sake of the children), we all came as one unit and if any of us want to go back home then we all go as one unit.

Hope that makes sense
I also hope my wife settles and when she gets a job she will feel less uncomfortable.
What part of the country are you in? Are there any expats she could hook up with to "get a feel for home"?
Old May 17th 2015, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

our stores don't close on Stat Holidays,

although the Liquor Control stores do close, we have private wine stores that are open on Sundays and Stat Holidays

Maybe you're just in the wrong province
Old May 17th 2015, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass

their flavours are different but they are fundamentally the same western countries with the same problems with drugs, alcohol, etc. Two of my friend's kids are getting into pot smoking pretty seriously - it's really not considered a big deal here culturally, whereas binge drinking is more frowned upon. Some of the smaller towns have problems with meth etc.
Yeas, I was told this from someone who now lives in Hamilton, Ontario. I suppose I was a bit surprised to hear that.
I wont go into the whole 'is pot safer than alcohol' debate. But in my opinion is is 'better' that the binge drinking culture doesn't exist as much in Canada (big country = wide generalization I know)

Smaller towns in Canada have problems with meth? Any articles or reference to that ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.