Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Kelowna in mid 2016 info needed pls.

Moving to Kelowna in mid 2016 info needed pls.

Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:25 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Kelowna in mid 2016 info needed pls.

Originally Posted by BristolUK

There's a long way to go yet.

There's a whole range of places from Kingston to London with around two-thirds of our snow and several places around Toronto and round the bend to Hamilton with about half.

That sort of reduction may well be enough of a hook.

Yep, slightly less than where you are now but not like here! You know it makes sense!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:07 am
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Swinging wildly of topic for a moment. Stinkypup in another thread referred to all the asshole Alberta drivers seen in B.C..

Just drove from Calgary to Chilliwack and first off I will admit I drive at ten "k" over the limit when traffic permits.

No surpise to me was the fact I was passed by more vehicles with B.C. plates than I could keep track of, and yes there were some Alberta plates in the mix too.

But the"asshole" award of the day goes to the idiot in a Toyota Venza with B.C. plates who pulled up to within six feet of my back bumper as I was passing a semi at 120 kph on the Coquihalla and flashed his high beams at me too get out of his way. To really deserve the asshole award he also had a handicap sign hanging from his rear view mirror. I had no idea you could get a handicap sign for the mentally handicapped. When I tapped my brake pedal to get him to back off that just made him madder. I pulled over when safe to do so and he decides he's now going to drive along side me for the next five minutes slowing all the traffic behind him in the left lane.

And I was under the impression that Alberta had the monopoly on asshole drivers, I guess I was wrong.

More lower mainland fun tomorrow morning as we head for the ferry at Horshoe Bay.

Last edited by Tinpusher63; Sep 10th 2015 at 12:09 am.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:17 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
I am guessing you were at the Penticton Lakeside Resort. The Kelowna equivalent would be the Delta Grand where the Hells Angels Bacon Brothers shooting took place. I guess this doesn't leave you with an unfavorable impression of Kelowna?
No because I didn't get shot at. I did get vomited at though. And I wasn't staying in Penticton. That's the point, that was my first impression.

I'd take the Delta over any hotel in Penticton any day of the week.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:28 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
Swinging wildly of topic for a moment. Stinkypup in another thread referred to all the asshole Alberta drivers seen in B.C..

Just drove from Calgary to Chilliwack and first off I will admit I drive at ten "k" over the limit when traffic permits.

No surpise to me was the fact I was passed by more vehicles with B.C. plates than I could keep track of, and yes there were some Alberta plates in the mix too.

But the"asshole" award of the day goes to the idiot in a Toyota Venza with B.C. plates who pulled up to within six feet of my back bumper as I was passing a semi at 120 kph on the Coquihalla and flashed his high beams at me too get out of his way. To really deserve the asshole award he also had a handicap sign hanging from his rear view mirror. I had no idea you could get a handicap sign for the mentally handicapped. When I tapped my brake pedal to get him to back off that just made him madder. I pulled over when safe to do so and he decides he's now going to drive along side me for the next five minutes slowing all the traffic behind him in the left lane.

And I was under the impression that Alberta had the monopoly on asshole drivers, I guess I was wrong.

More lower mainland fun tomorrow morning as we head for the ferry at Horshoe Bay.
Naughty Oink, I thought he had sold the Venza- he should stick to his boating... Though he might now intercept your ferry with his super yacht
As I said Steve there are always exceptions- you are developing alas the Albertan mindset that speed limits are for everyone else, not us 'Burdans... -another moan I have about their driving that I forgot to mention!
Joking apart that sounded quite scary- chill on the Island, take some good photos and drink a few craft beers!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:30 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Steve_
No because I didn't get shot at. I did get vomited at though. And I wasn't staying in Penticton. That's the point, that was my first impression.

I'd take the Delta over any hotel in Penticton any day of the week.
There we go, a Trip Adviser review of both Penticton and Kelowna all wrapped up in one!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:31 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Things may have changed since you were last there.
I doubt it, seeing as it was June.

You obviously didn't do what I said, bring up the location of those townhouses in Lower Mission in Google Maps, and do a search on supermarkets nearby. There's one, a small Save-on-Foods and if you're looking at upper Mission which is an even newer area, that Save-On-Foods is a fair distance. To get to Costco or Safeway etc. you've got to drive all the way into the centre of town.

Kelowna isn't Bristol (thank God ), it's pretty isolated really and going on a Greyhound to Vancouver along the 97C isn't like going on a local bus in Bristol up the M5.

I'm sure there are ways of managing without a car but I feel safe in my assertion you need one a lot more than you would in Bristol.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:33 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
There we go, a Trip Adviser review of both Penticton and Kelowna all wrapped up in one!
I actually am on TripAdvisor. Which reminds me, I don't think I did a review of that hotel... hmm...
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:41 am

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said Steve there are always exceptions- you are developing alas the Albertan mindset that speed limits are for everyone else, not us 'Burdans... -another moan I have about their driving that I forgot to mention.
Developing??

I've been here 52 years that ship sailed a long time ago, back when the earth was green.

As to your point I couldn't give a damn if people want to go faster than me. I know at ten over the limit I am not going to get a ticket.

Yep tomorrow afternoon we'll be safely ensconced in Parksville with a nice glass of red looking over Parksville Bay.

Cheers
Steve
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:46 am
I need a walk

The usual speeders are about 40 over the speed limit - you clearly developed into the benign kind! Have fun
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:47 am
I need a walk

I actually am on TripAdvisor. Which reminds me, I don't think I did a review of that hotel... hmm...
Never miss that opportunity Steve, I shall be keeping my eyes out for it!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:00 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously didn't do what I said, bring up the location of those townhouses in Lower Mission
Well, duh.

Come on, if the subject is living without a car in relation to a place where properties to live have a good walk score based on what you can walk to, why would you pick somewhere out of town to illustrate how little there was within walking distance and then somewhere even more out of town?

I'm sure there are ways of managing without a car but I feel safe in my assertion you need one a lot more than you would in Bristol.
And that might be a factor when considering a move from Bristol to Kelowna. Less so when considering exchanging the centre of Moncton for the centre of Kelowna

I'm a little unclear as to the Kelowna is isolated comment. As with much of Canada, one could argue Moncton is too. Fredericton, Saint John and Halifax are all about as far as Kamloops is from Kelowna. Of course that's three places to travel to rather than one but then the big city of Vancouver is more convenient to get to from Kelowna than Montreal is from Moncton.

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 10th 2015 at 2:02 am.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:09 am
I need a walk

I would agree- we drove from the coast in under 5 hours- a nice drive unless tackled in Winter-you could be in Vancouver/ Victoria by plane in about 45 minutes - not bad by Canadian standards!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:40 am

The usual speeders are about 40 over the speed limit - you clearly developed into the benign kind! Have fun
I try very hard to suppress my type-A personality.

Especially nowadays, two bypass surgies and an angioplasty later.

Total aside, I found out last Friday I am to be scheduled for another angiogram when we get back from hols.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:49 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
I try very hard to suppress my type-A personality.

Especially nowadays, two bypass surgies and an angioplasty later.

Total aside, I found out last Friday I am to be scheduled for another angiogram when we get back from hols.
Deep joy! I will do it for you, in our training it is see one, do one!! Best not be hoiking around that hefty Tamron zoom lens- I would stick to the kit lens !! Ok- slow down to the speed limit whilst driving back through BC- it will keep the blood pressure down and the red necks off your back until at least you hit the 'Burdan border!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 3:01 am

Deep joy! I will do it for you, in our training it is see one, do one!! Best not be hoiking around that hefty Tamron zoom lens- I would stick to the kit lens !! Ok- slow down to the speed limit whilst driving back through BC- it will keep the blood pressure down and the red necks off your back until at least you hit the 'Burdan border!
Tamron will be resting on car door frame if what I have mind works out.
I'm good, well less good.
Visit with cardiologist earlier this year he stated this time it's life altering not life threatening. We'll see what the plan is after the upcoming angio, I think they want to see if they can work through the 100% blockage to my circumflex. That would be a very good thing if successful.

Tried to give you karma for the Oink comment earler but it said I must spead it around before I can give you more. Sounds like a disease when they put it that way.

Last edited by Tinpusher63; Sep 10th 2015 at 3:14 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.