Reload this Page >

moving to kelowna

moving to kelowna

Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:58 am
Just Joined

harrietslade is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow moving to kelowna

Hi people,

My partner and I are new to this site and basically would like some views NOT opinions if they are negative, on Kelowna. So costs. Prices of things we need and things we can lve without till we both find our feet and not just him.

We are a family of 4. two boys aged 4 and 18 months. My other half has been employed by a stucco (plaster) company on a 2 year contract and although we have been told that the months of December and January are little to no work months; have been told that you get help from government towards the savings you've already saved. Is this correct?

We have the money to get by for a year but we want to know whether we can live comfortably whilst enjoying our new surroundings. There's no point struggling just to live in a beautiful place. What wages are good and bad, what should we ask for or at least compromise on.

I myself am a Barber by trade, Men's hair not women's. I know my trade is also big over there and providing I can find reasonable child care costs, could also work full time if not part time.

Any help is much appreciated
Old Apr 13th 2014, 8:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to kelowna

Hi.

Does your partner already have a LMO/TWP?

I'm not sure you can dictate what kind of answers you get tbh, if you ask for opinions you'll get both positive and negative, that's the nature of a public forum!

Salary wise, your other half would need to be earning at least $22 to be granted the LMO, although that wouldn't be a great salary for a family of 4 so ideally he should aim for more. What's he been offered?

You're aware that hairdressing is a licensed trade in Canada and you'll need to sit exams etc? So obviously won't be able to work straight away, do factor that in to your calculations.

It sounds like you're worried about the cost of moving and whether it's worth it financially, which is very sensible. For info in what you need to set up life in Canada, it would be worth re-reading your previous thread as that was full of info - as a rough guide, £25k is the amount oft quoted in the forum for a family to move and get set up, although figures of £40k have been mentioned in the past too (again, it's in your other thread). I don't know how much you're taking with you, but that gives you an idea if how much you'll need to spend.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 13th 2014 at 8:36 am.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

harrietslade is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi.

Does your partner already have a LMO/TWP?

I'm not sure you can dictate what kind of answers you get tbh, if you ask for opinions you'll get both positive and negative, that's the nature of a public forum!

Salary wise, your other half would need to be earning at least $22 to be granted the LMO, although that wouldn't be a great salary for a family of 4 so ideally he should aim for more. What's he been offered?

You're aware that hairdressing is a licensed trade in Canada and you'll need to sit exams etc? So obviously won't be able to work straight away, do factor that in to your calculations.

It sounds like you're worried about the cost of moving and whether it's worth it financially, which is very sensible. For info in what you need to set up life in Canada, it would be worth re-reading your previous thread as that was full of info - as a rough guide, £25k is the amount oft quoted in the forum for a family to move and get set up, although figures of £40k have been mentioned in the past too (again, it's in your other thread). I don't know how much you're taking with you, but that gives you an idea if how much you'll need to spend.

Best of luck.
Hiya,

Thanks for response. Can I ask; if when you say 20k 40k, are you refering to the dollar or pound.

I understand my trade is licenced over there yes. Having researched more into my trade, I have a recognised trade on paper that is excepted out there and only a trades text practical will be required. Its just whether childcare is affordable.

My other half hasn't the LMO granted yet no, the company have gone through an immigration lawyer though, who over Skype calls has said he is confident on a quick process with a positive outcome. You say LMOS cant be granted with a wage of less than $22; sounds minimal but thankyou for opening our eyes to be able to see what perhaps might be a suitable price to ask for. is $26 a good wage for a plasterer or do you not know

Thanks again
Old Apr 13th 2014, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's GBP, but do have another look at your previous thread which had loads of figures in for you and lots of info.

Re: wages, have a look at this - http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/LMI_report_...ortOption=wage

For the LMO to be positive, the wage must be at least the 'median' figure.

HTH.