Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Guelph-good places to live and where to avoid

Moving to Guelph-good places to live and where to avoid

Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Guelph-good places to live and where to avoid

Originally Posted by R I C H
Vernon's not exactly got much to offer if you're used to a city like Vancouver. It's a pretty dull place.
Well, there's your compelling case for Guelph vs. the Okanagan; Guelph's close enough to Toronto that we lived in one and shopped in the other and, if excitement is wanted, it's 12 hours to drive to Manhattan, 5 to Detroit and Buffalo is close enough that one can go for the day. The Okanagan is no doubt very pretty but it seems odd to bring it up in a discussion of an urban area; it seems like Montana or New Brunswick or the Serengetti in being a place where nature is what's offered. Guelph is better suited to people who want their nature leavened with the odd skyscraper.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:05 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
Why would I be bitter? I live in an amazing part of Canada surrounded by sandy beaches, vineyards & ski hills. I love it here. Certainly not bitter - just trying to prevent someone from making a bad decision.
You sound bitter.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:16 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

University of Guelph is big on the Agricultural studies, and it's probably the #1 school for it. If Mr Segs is going to be working in Kitchener and you in Guelph, perhaps you guys might want to consider Cambridge initially for renting before you take the huge leap to buying / building your home?

So much to do in Guelph / Cambridge.....use to enjoy venturing out to Elora (the Gorge) to go tubing

Originally Posted by segs
Alright alright…
Thanks guys
No need for fisty cuffs

We've been to Guelph (and Kitchener and Milton and Cambridge) a few times in the process of job hunting, we've looked around a bit and hopefully renting before buying will prevent any regrets
We chose Guelph because we found good jobs (my job) there with colleagues who are very supportive
My husband will be working in Kitchener though- so it may broaden out where we end up buying , but I certainly don't want to commute anymore
Currently he walks to work 5 minutes away while I drive from Norwich to the Norfolk countryside to work 45 minutes away
You lot have been very helpful with your replies
I have more than enough to go on for now
Thank you
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

It's cold compared to the coast though, isn't it?
No? March through to October the Okanagan is warmer, November through February the coast is 3 or 4 degrees warmer. In the summer the south okanagan is on average 7 degrees warmer than the coast. Plus, who's talking about the coast? It's dull and rainy most of the time there. The winters in the south okanagan are very mild by Canadian standards - wouldn't you agree?

It's cold compared to the coast though, isn't it? 10 out of the first 15 days of this Dec were sub zero in Penticton. Crappy temperatures for playing golf I'd have thought. There were overnight sub zero temperatures by the middle of October.
I tend to sleep at night and most days the temp is above zero through the winter. Generally the temperature fluctuates from -5 to +5 in the winter. The winter climate in the south Okanagan is mild by Canadian standards, wouldn't you agree?

Penticton GCC closed the course for the winter at the end of Nov, so I think you're stretching the truth a little. .
Ok - I apologise - I stretched the truth by 2 days. When did the golf courses on the coast close and the ones in Guelph? - less than 16 days ago I suppose?

Last edited by jossie; Dec 17th 2013 at 3:19 am.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
You sound bitter.
That's fine but you live in Guelph
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:57 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

No? March through to October the Okanagan is warmer, November through February the coast is 3 or 4 degrees warmer. In the summer the south okanagan is on average 7 degrees warmer than the coast. Plus, who's talking about the coast? It's dull and rainy most of the time there. The winters in the south okanagan are very mild by Canadian standards - wouldn't you agree?

I tend to sleep at night and most days the temp is above zero through the winter. Generally the temperature fluctuates from -5 to +5 in the winter. The winter climate in the south Okanagan is mild by Canadian standards, wouldn't you agree?

Ok - I apologise - I stretched the truth by 2 days. When did the golf courses on the coast close and the ones in Guelph? - less than 16 days ago I suppose?
I was responding specifically about winter weather that was mentioned, not looking for a debate or comparison about year round temperatures. Comparisons to the coast were because that's where Oink lives, and it was his post that was under discussion.

Many golf courses on the coast remain open year round. I don't know about Guelph. Look it up if you like.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

I was responding specifically about winter weather that was mentioned, not looking for a debate or comparison about year round temperatures. Comparisons to the coast were because that's where Oink lives, and it was his post that was under discussion.

Many golf courses on the coast remain open year round. I don't know about Guelph. Look it up if you like.
You never answered my question, The winters in the south okanagan are very mild by Canadian standards - wouldn't you agree?
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:39 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I am assuming you would eat the Horse meat though? Seeing how it is considered a delicacy in Europe and given that you like to pretend you are sophisticated and intellectual and all that.
Please don't be unpleasant. I don't think that Novo pretends any such thing. Given the factory farming practices in North America, horsemeat might be a far better option.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 11:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Guelph. Look it up if you like.
The men over the partition here, in Guelph, played the weekend before last, they're somewhat obsessed with golf and they have this homoerotic adoration for the swing of someone called "Tom". Tom is better at golf than they are and more keen than they are. Tom is playing on Boxing Day somewhere local to here. I imagine Tom has orange balls.