Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving a Glaswegian ...

Moving a Glaswegian ...

Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:54 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving a Glaswegian ...

Originally Posted by Iginla
Speaking with colleagues at work the health care system in Ontario (in their opinion) is pretty cr@p from a funding/resources point of view compared to Alberta. From experience the cr@pness of the health-care system in an area usually has some sort of correlation with the education system.

Just my $2. (inflation).
That's what I hear too.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:07 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
That's what I hear too.
I haven't passed on to the great forum yet ... visualise the screen of front of you going squiggly as we speed back in time ... 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000 ... further back to when we had employer supplied BUPA medical cover because the NHS in the UK was so underfunded and ineffective ... I remember saying that the last thing I ever wanted to do was send my kids to a state funded school like the ones I went to ... I got to Alberta and had no choice.

I'm a Thatcherite ... way bluer than Stephen Harper ... George Dubbya is a bit of a leftie if you ask me ... public funded services are for people who have no other choice ... if you have the cash, you should have the choice to go elsewhere ... I think Iaink said that Ontario is not traditionally liberal ... well, they're getting one more conservative voter when I get citizenship.

Life is all about choice ... there isn't enough choice of employers in Alberta ... so I'll bet my buck on Ontario ... let's hope the odds are better than a roulette wheel.

Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:08 am
Glaswegian

Damn ... more time wasted ... hasta la vista.

Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:20 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
I haven't passed on to the great forum yet ... visualise the screen of front of you going squiggly as we speed back in time ... 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000 ... further back to when we had employer supplied BUPA medical cover because the NHS in the UK was so underfunded and ineffective ... I remember saying that the last thing I ever wanted to do was send my kids to a state funded school like the ones I went to ... I got to Alberta and had no choice.

I'm a Thatcherite ... way bluer than Stephen Harper ... George Dubbya is a bit of a leftie if you ask me ... public funded services are for people who have no other choice ... if you have the cash, you should have the choice to go elsewhere ... I think Iaink said that Ontario is not traditionally liberal ... well, they're getting one more conservative voter when I get citizenship.

Life is all about choice ... there isn't enough choice of employers in Alberta ... so I'll bet my buck on Ontario ... let's hope the odds are better than a roulette wheel.
Iaink is correct that Ontario is not traditionally liberal - the Conservatives (big blue machine, as they were called) were huge when I was growing up in Ontario.

The odds should be a whole lot better than a roulette wheel before you even consider moving. Don't you have a job lined up? Moving may be a good idea, but I wouldn't recommend doing anything rash either.

By the way, did you get my PM?
Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:47 am
Glaswegian

By the way, did you get my PM?
Thanks, yes I did ... I'm aware of the stats ... although Alberta has allegedly cleaner air, the actual rates of incidence are almost identical.

Rather than wasting so much time here, I'm spending my time on Workopolis at the moment ... there are so many jobs in Ontario that are the next level up from my current one that it's almost unbelievable ... back in 2001 all the obtainable IT jobs were over here in Alberta.

It's interesting what a couple of years Canadian experience does ... I've got one large company trying very hard to accomodate me somewhere in their structure ... there aren't a lot of people around here with 14 years experience of MS systems

I don't think we're doing anything rash or without due consideration ... we did that already when we first came to Canada.

Old Nov 12th 2004, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Hey Prodigyking,

Having trouble finding some Empire period trash in an attempt to incite a debate today?
Now before I go to bed I won't feel bad about getting of-topic in such a vain thread.

G-dawg,

I would never have trouble finding some Empire period trash to talk about. All I would have to do is turn on the TV to CNN. It's the present continuous time! The entire world is a mess. For the most part it's your beloved Empire's fault. The middle east, africa, india-pakistan, sri-lanka, even the US for the most part are a bloody mess. All due to the fall of the mighty British empire and the following vacum of power. You can call it the price of progress, I will still point to you a bloody mess!

Let this be a nice distraction from you personal issues. (of which you have more than a magazine stand :scared: )
Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:30 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by prodigyking
For the most part it's your beloved Empire's fault.
It ain't my beloved empire's fault bee-atch ... it wasn't my empire to start with.

If you study history, you'll find the british empire wan't the only one in operation at the time ... even portugal had an empire ... the US was a mere colony then, so I guess they don't teach that in history classes down there.

You can call it the price of progress, I will still point to you a bloody mess!
It's one God awful mess right now ... don't blame the Brits, our power was waning long before WW2 ... the US are a bigger and nastier warmonger than we ever were.

Let this be a nice distraction from you personal issues. (of which you have more than a magazine stand
Some day when you grow up and reproduce (God help us all), you'll have your own little basket of personal issues to deal with.

Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:45 am
mañana is my busiest day

Thanks, yes I did ... I'm aware of the stats ... although Alberta has allegedly cleaner air, the actual rates of incidence are almost identical.

Rather than wasting so much time here, I'm spending my time on Workopolis at the moment ... there are so many jobs in Ontario that are the next level up from my current one that it's almost unbelievable ... back in 2001 all the obtainable IT jobs were over here in Alberta.

It's interesting what a couple of years Canadian experience does ... I've got one large company trying very hard to accomodate me somewhere in their structure ... there aren't a lot of people around here with 14 years experience of MS systems

I don't think we're doing anything rash or without due consideration ... we did that already when we first came to Canada.
I didn't know that the job prospects were that good in Ontario. In that case, why not go for it? I've lived in Ontario, Nfld, Alberta and now BC - and that's just in Canada (not counting the US, The Bahamas and Mexico). It can be good to live in more than one place - makes life more interesting. If you have hit a promotion ceiling at work in Calgary and are frustrated, why not move on?

Last edited by oceanMDX; Nov 12th 2004 at 3:50 am.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 4:02 am
Glaswegian

If you have hit a promotion ceiling at work in Calgary and are frustrated, why not move on?
Why not indeed??

Old Nov 12th 2004, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

Most of my friends stay in Barrie in Ontario. Thats where i mostly go to on holiday. I love the place. The people there are pretty cool too. I first went there in 1980 and have been 7 times since, 3 times in the last 5 years, and the amount of expansion is awsome. I had thought that it is where i would like to move to if i ever got to go to Canada but i have found it a whole lot easier getting into BC. Ontario needs a lot more paperwork to be filled in for people to take a job there and i couldnt find an employer willing to do that.
In saying that, the more i have looked into BC and have got a job in Kelowna, i think it looks like a great destination and i really want to give it a go there. Loads of things that i like doing here are right on your doorstep.

Hope you can make your mind up Glas I know im getting nervous about the whole thing now, not that i will back out though.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 8:48 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

there aren't a lot of people around here with 14 years experience of MS systems
Wow you do have a downer on yourself !! Come over to the light side...

Linux Jedi
Old Nov 12th 2004, 8:51 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

For the most part it's your beloved Empire's fault.
I've never loved the American Empire
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:58 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirTainly
I've never loved the American Empire

That’s because America has consistently failed to produce an Empire.... just a list of lost battles when fighting inferior local forces...

You need to win a few on your own to have an Empire and that doesn’t include wins made up by Hollywood either
Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Higgy
Most of my friends stay in Barrie in Ontario. Thats where i mostly go to on holiday. I love the place. The people there are pretty cool too. I first went there in 1980 and have been 7 times since, 3 times in the last 5 years, and the amount of expansion is awsome. I had thought that it is where i would like to move to if i ever got to go to Canada...
Glas, you should definately consider it. I was living in Richmond Hill, ON since moving here in June 1999. For several reasons (PM me if you're interested) I have swung between mild contentment and usually being utterly miserable living there. 2 months ago we moved 40 minutes north to Innisfil (just south of Barrie, on Lake Simcoe) and it was like moving to another world. People are nicer, air seems cleaner, beautiful night skies, smallish town/rural atmosphere but without being backwards-looking... only 17 kids in my kids SK class (and if it wasn't for my 5year old twins it would be 15 kids heh heh)... just a beautiful place to be. We're minutes from Barrie and the plethora of shops at Molson Park and Hwy400 and only about an hour from T.O. Family seems happier also - I think we made a good move.

www.previncourt.com is the builder of our house. We got a great deal on the house and I feel the best I've felt in a long time. I understand a snow-blower will be an essential purchase soon but it's a small price to pay

Whatever your choose to do, best of luck to you and yours!
Old Nov 12th 2004, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

It ain't my beloved empire's fault bee-atch ... it wasn't my empire to start with.

If you study history, you'll find the british empire wan't the only one in operation at the time ... even portugal had an empire ... the US was a mere colony then, so I guess they don't teach that in history classes down there.

It's one God awful mess right now ... don't blame the Brits, our power was waning long before WW2 ... the US are a bigger and nastier warmonger than we ever were.
Yeees, beeeeeeeeeeooooootch,

It was the US who drew the African borders like the bloody mess they are today. It was the US, who put the most hated tribes together in Nigeria. It was the US who left South Africa, and Zimbabwe at the present condition. It was the US who created the vacuum of power haunting Sri-Lanka even today. It was the US abrupt pull out of the India-Pakistan that continues to produce one of the hottest war-zones in our world. And to conclude, it was the US, who pulled out of the Middle East after exploiting it for centuries, and allowing the charade state of Israel to spring out like a mushroom.

I have no intention to defend the warmonger policy of present day US, as I am not an American. I am merely a visitor here. Deferring attention from your country’s wrongdoings by pointing to other injustices is simply a cowardly thing to do.

If you want to attack my country feel free to look up Albania, on Wikipedia.com, as we sure have bloody history of colonizing, exploiting, and then leaving behind messes all over the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.