Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Edmonton - Which areas to consider?

Moving to Edmonton - Which areas to consider?

Old Mar 11th 2012, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice
Default Moving to Edmonton - Which areas to consider?

Hi

Well it's that time to think about which areas are better to live in around Edmonton. We plan to live around Edmonton for a year or two, maybe three.

The City isn't the best place to live, so considering the outskirts of Edmonton. My husband will be contracting, either in the city limits, far outskirts or camp work in Fort.Mc. We have a soon to be fouteen year old son, I guess that would put him in yr 9 this Sept. I may consider to go to university to train as a LPN, although this isn't a deciding factor at this point of time.

I've been told Sherwood Park, Fort.Saskatchewan, St.Albert, Lamont, Redwater should meet our needs, easy access to the highways. We'll intially rent. I've been told the property taxes are high in St.Albert, I do believe you don't pay for the property taxes if you're renting right?

I don't think the rental prices differ too much in Edmonton or the outskirts, guess all just down to location,location, location within each towns/cities?? I'm finding it hard on choices in the rental market, not much to pick from.

I think schooling is very important for my son and would really want to base some of our choices to move to on his schooling. We're not religious but don't know if chosing a Catholic school would make a huge difference. I really don't know the difference between a Catholic school in the UK to one in Canada?

Any thoughts out there???

Angela
Old Mar 12th 2012, 4:14 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving to Edmonton - Which areas to consider?

Not La Salle anymore?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Not La Salle anymore?
Oh yes! When we're ready to buy! Very first job is in Edmonton, it's a step in for now.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 7:17 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Sherwood Park for 3 years before moving to NS last year.
Sherwood Park would naturally be my choice, and I dont think you can go wrong there really.
However, depends on where you're gonna be working. If you're working on the West End, living in Sherwood Park would be madness. If you working in South Edmonton, St Albert and Fort Sask would be mental too.

No property taxes if you rent, but the owner (who has to pay) will simply build it in to the rent to cover his own costs.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jericho
I lived in Sherwood Park for 3 years before moving to NS last year.
Sherwood Park would naturally be my choice, and I dont think you can go wrong there really.
However, depends on where you're gonna be working. If you're working on the West End, living in Sherwood Park would be madness. If you working in South Edmonton, St Albert and Fort Sask would be mental too.

No property taxes if you rent, but the owner (who has to pay) will simply build it in to the rent to cover his own costs.
Hi

This is the problem, there's prob not going to be an ideal place whilst contracting all over. All my husband has been told that East Edmonton would maybe better suited. At the moment he's in Nisku on a 3-4 month contract, it may be extended, so Beaumont or Leduc would be ideal. If it's extended long enough that will be great or offered a perm position we have our answer. Usually mod yard positions are short lived. For now and we simply don't know where each contracts will be based. Some will be in Fort.Mc but it'll be a fly in camp position. I think we've just go to come to terms with the fact he'll be commuting with up to an hours drive. I'm thinking of areas that are close to the highways, which may help????

Could you tell me what areas which are good in Sherwood Park please and schools if you have any info on those? Thank You!

I wish I know more about Edmonton. Only researched around Winnipeg are areas.

By towards the end of June I'll just have to pick a place!

Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:12 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i live in riverbend sw Edmonton and is very good area of the city great schools great facilties upscale and safe...easy access to the hendy and whitemud and easy accessto the QE2 highway and the trans canada and 15 mins from the airport.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i live in riverbend sw Edmonton and is very good area of the city great schools great facilties upscale and safe...easy access to the hendy and whitemud and easy accessto the QE2 highway and the trans canada and 15 mins from the airport.
Cool another area for my list! What schools are good for year 9 student? Think he'll be in year 9 for a year at Junior High then moves following year to the High School???
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:17 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert_masters
Cool another area for my list! What schools are good for year 9 student? Think he'll be in year 9 for a year at Junior High then moves following year to the High School???
my son and daughter are at riverdend junior high..or you can go to esther starkman which is terwillegar if in the catchment area..then you go to lilian osborne high school which is new and right next to the the new terwillegar rec centre which is huge with mamoth facilties which the school has free use of.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
my son and daughter are at riverdend junior high..or you can go to esther starkman which is terwillegar if in the catchment area..then you go to lilian osborne high school which is new and right next to the the new terwillegar rec centre which is huge with mamoth facilties which the school has free use of.
OK, i've also heard good things about Terwillegar, not that I can say it lol. I've heard a British kid say it and it's nothing like how I would pronounce it.

Do you know much about living there?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I live in South Edmonton in a new area called Allard, there are lots of places around here that are pretty good.

We rented in Skyrattler when we first arrived, that was a good area and very handy for the Calgary Trail, shopping and the local train system, short walk to Century Park station.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PeterF
I live in South Edmonton in a new area called Allard, there are lots of places around here that are pretty good.

We rented in Skyrattler when we first arrived, that was a good area and very handy for the Calgary Trail, shopping and the local train system, short walk to Century Park station.
Hi

Thanks for that!

Looks like you've been to a few Provinces now. How did you like each of them?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!

I don't know anything much about Edmonton, but I will say this, we flew in and out of the airport last summer, we stayed in one of the airport hotels, I suppose you could say it's the outskirts of Leduc. The mosquitoes were HUGE and loads of them. We have since heard that Leduc doesn't spray and the mozzies are always bad there. - this is based on one visit and a couple of comments from people after, but it is one thing to research a little more if your thinking Leduc. Mosquito slapping isn't fun.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Hey!

I don't know anything much about Edmonton, but I will say this, we flew in and out of the airport last summer, we stayed in one of the airport hotels, I suppose you could say it's the outskirts of Leduc. The mosquitoes were HUGE and loads of them. We have since heard that Leduc doesn't spray and the mozzies are always bad there. - this is based on one visit and a couple of comments from people after, but it is one thing to research a little more if your thinking Leduc. Mosquito slapping isn't fun.
Hiya, long time no speak!!

Hope ya doing well?

Think I'll either consider SW Edmonton, Beaumont or even Sherwood Park

Just wait and see where the next job will be and how long for!

Angela
Old Mar 17th 2012, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

craggyjoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Robert,

We are about to move out to Sherwood park, our son is 14 now and goes to F R Haythorne school at the moment. Theres quite a few Brits live out there in fact I work with quite a few of them. As for getting into the city for work the place im at is on 93st just off the whitemud, which makes getting there fairly easy.
Old Mar 17th 2012, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by craggyjoh
Hi Robert,

We are about to move out to Sherwood park, our son is 14 now and goes to F R Haythorne school at the moment. Theres quite a few Brits live out there in fact I work with quite a few of them. As for getting into the city for work the place im at is on 93st just off the whitemud, which makes getting there fairly easy.
Hi

Thats Great! Could you tell me some of the areas are nice to live in?

Also, what are these subjects Applied Technologies & CTS: Applied Technologies Special Projects?

Angela