Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Cochrane

Moving to Cochrane

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Paulie Wallnuts has a spectacular aura aboutPaulie Wallnuts has a spectacular aura aboutPaulie Wallnuts has a spectacular aura about
Red face Moving to Cochrane

Hi All
Mick and I (kim) are moving to cochrane hopefully on the 12th august(if house goes through this time) could anyone out there tell me whats its like, shopping, restaurants etc? i have looked on the net but cant really find much.
We have rented a house until the end of june 08, this gives us time to have a good look around at the surrounding areas for when we want to buy.
Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kim and Mick ( and lulu the dog)
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cochrane

Originally Posted by Paulie Wallnuts
Hi All
Mick and I (kim) are moving to cochrane hopefully on the 12th august(if house goes through this time) could anyone out there tell me whats its like, shopping, restaurants etc? i have looked on the net but cant really find much.
We have rented a house until the end of june 08, this gives us time to have a good look around at the surrounding areas for when we want to buy.

Cheers

Hi

Will be moving the week before you but unfortunately not to Cochrane.

Good to hear you have a rental sorted out - so good luck with your move.

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:08 am
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paulie Wallnuts
Hi All

Cheers
We are also looking to move to the Cochrane area, hopefully by june 08!
Best place for a cheap family meal has to be Smittys. Has a nice movie theatre and a massive safeway which feels empty compared to UK supermarkets.
We will also be looking to rent when we move out there and hopefully buy just after, Mr us3 wants to move to the Water Valley area.
Has a great walk/cycle path around the Town that is really safe, Also has a nice pool and sports centre. They are building loads of houses there at the moment.
How did you go about renting a house, any good web sites.
Good Luck
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Paulie Wallnuts has a spectacular aura aboutPaulie Wallnuts has a spectacular aura aboutPaulie Wallnuts has a spectacular aura about

c21gold@telusplanet.

We have found this lady to be very helpful, she has even rang us a few times, she is called chloe cartright, a real estate agent.

worth emailing her,
Kim
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:57 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

We have met a few estate agents and find Cliff MacRae and Deborah MacIsaac of Remax really nice.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mick and Kim

Very brave to rent somewhere that you do not know ! However, I think you have made a good choice, and I hope you like it in Cochrane.

There are three main supermarkets in the town - Safeways, Canadian Foods and IGA - all better valued for different things, so you do learn to shop around rather than having the luxury of shopping in one place ! But hey, it's interesting !

Eateries are mainly the 'chain's' in the town, the usual mix of McD's (if you call that a restaurant), Smitty's, Joey's (seafood), Dairy Queen, Pita place, Opa, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, etc, etc. There is a place called Prairie Smoke for steaks, etc - not bad. There's a fish & chip place, and a couple of independant places. There is a new bar/grill opened up called Olive R Twist which we have not tried yet, plus the hotels, and of course Mackays Ice Cream store.

The town has a few of the 'big box' names - but generally a smaller version, Canadian Tyre, The Source, etc - plus all the main banks.

There are three gyms, I think, the large leisure centre and the pool - all of which are good. And someone has already mentioned the walking trails around the river. So far, I have found it a clean, friendly and beautiful place to live. Hubby is working right downtown at the moment and is allowing an hour for driving/parking or driving/C-train.

There are loads of little workshops and small businesses - for everything from plumbing to car servicing/repairs/ to glass to computers to hitch shops to garden centre, liquor stores, and bars, small independant clothing stores and of course all the 'cutesy' arty-farty and antiquey type places - too numerous to mention but I'm guessing that whatever you wanted, you could find. There is a decent recycling depot which takes just about everything you can think of - so get some recycling bins !
There are quite a few doctors and dentists -and a drop-in clinic. We haven't signed up yet (just waiting for details via hubby's employers) but some have notices up welcoming new patients so I am hoping that won't be an issue.

We spent the first few weeks up and down Highway 1A in and out of the city limits to various areas locating the 'big' stores in which to spend our money and furnish the home with all things Canadian, ie, the big electricals - so gas usage was quite high! But we've calmed down on that now, so back to normal.

The weather has been unusally gorgeous and I hope it carries on for a few more weeks for you ! Hope you like it here, we do so far !
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:27 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Cochrane is on our list too - Jim has a cousin who lives there and she told us to watch out for a few housing areas when looking for houses e.g. some parts of Gleneagles (but not all) have had problems with land slips, and one area (Bow?) was close to the flood plain. The West Valley area was quite nice by the river (near Mitford School?) as you can walk to town along the river paths. Cousin advised us to get a good local realtor who knows the score with the different housing areas.
We tried the Olive R Twist a couple of times after it had just opened when we were on a reccie trip back in June. Not sure how it compares price wise to other places but the steak and pizza were very nice and the barman (owner) was very friendly!
Flossie

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Jul 22nd 2007 at 3:31 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:59 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

My God, WHY?

Are you in Mining, or did CHEAP attract you.

Cochrane is in the middle of nowhere, going to nowhere, bugs in Summer, Bitter Cold in winter.

Sorry to be blunt, but I travelled that area extensivly , all the way past Krapascasing to Hearst to Moose Factory, you had better like the outdoors and Moose hunting.

Timmins is closest spot of any size, would not be on my list as places to live.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 4:03 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Grab an atlas Howard.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Londonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Howard1944
My God, WHY?

Are you in Mining, or did CHEAP attract you.

Cochrane is in the middle of nowhere, going to nowhere, bugs in Summer, Bitter Cold in winter.

Sorry to be blunt, but I travelled that area extensivly , all the way past Krapascasing to Hearst to Moose Factory, you had better like the outdoors and Moose hunting.

Timmins is closest spot of any size, would not be on my list as places to live.
Howard come and live in Cochrane - first of all cheap it is not!!! Be warned!! - bugs in summer, well yes but not as many as I have come across in Airdrie or even the UK for that matter, cold in winter - HELLO this is Canada and what about having a winter playground on the doorstep to enjoy the cold!!! Cochrane is wonderful and my realtor Mike Borody comes highly recommended - he took me round and round and then round some more. Ann try out the services of Twisted Basil - organic groceries delivered to your door!!!! Heaven and the weather is heaven. Also for rentals try looking at the Cochrane Times on line or homerentca.com
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 4:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Grab an atlas Howard.
Poor Howard has hoof in mouth disease and is geographically challenged.

He thinks it's the Cochrane in Ontario that people are talking about.

So much for traveling extensively.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 22nd 2007 at 4:51 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Londonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really nice

You are right on the money there Steve!!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Do you think he will eat humble pie
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Thanks for clearing that up Steve ...... I wondered what the hell he was on about!!!

Don't choke on your shoelaces Howard!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:40 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Where did it NOT say Cochrane, Ontario,some of you Brits are really not that gracious a bunch for those of us who try to help, some of you do display marked rudeness, a British trait I guess, helps explain why you are not always welcome in our communities.

Two hours after they shut of the engines of the BA Flight, you can still hear the whining, heard that one in Australia, where they really don't like Brits.

Cochrane is COLD, it is not a typical cold, that is why so few people live there, most go because of work in the mines:curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.