Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving cash from Canada to uk regularly? Best/most cost effective?

Moving cash from Canada to uk regularly? Best/most cost effective?

Old Apr 15th 2012, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice
Default Re: Moving cash from Canada to uk regularly? Best/most cost effective?

I have used these. http://www.canadianforex.ca/

Paypal has also been useful for smaller amounts
Old May 9th 2012, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

carley_jackson will become famous soon enough

My husband and I used the Post Office in the Uk to send money - have to set up an account on their website, its deposited directly to our TD account here, free of charge (if you sent over 300pound I think). Easy!! And if Scotia does charge you (which they will) you can get that reimbursed by the Post Office.
Old May 9th 2012, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

carley_jackson will become famous soon enough

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/finance/...aignid=TIP1001 here's the link.
Old May 9th 2012, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

I've used various routes. Linked HSBC accounts in Canada/UK used to be the best (very close to spot) but became less competetive recently. It's still better than most FX brokers though (e.g. HiFX). Best I've found overall for price, if not convenience, is Oanda.ca. One piece of advice though: if you're doing a reasonable chunk (10K and up), you can nearly always get a better rate from your own bank just by asking. Sit there with xe.com open and, when they quote you 3% off spot, call them on it. The result will usually be a call to someone on the bank's FX desk followed by an offer of 1.5%.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sunny, sunny Eastbourne UK, was Nova Scotia, Canada
ramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant futureramblingsue has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TheBear
If u have 50k sterling open an hsbc premier account. You can then have sterling, can$ us on the same page and move between accounts with a mouse at a couple of pips off market rates.
I understood when I talked to HSBC in Canada that you can have a Canadian and Sterling account and transfer money between the two - presumably at a reasonable rate. They did not mention 50K sterling minimum. I know 2 happy bunnies who have this set up... and I plan to do the same.
Old May 10th 2012, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ramblingsue
I understood when I talked to HSBC in Canada that you can have a Canadian and Sterling account and transfer money between the two - presumably at a reasonable rate. They did not mention 50K sterling minimum. I know 2 happy bunnies who have this set up... and I plan to do the same.
Another vote for HSBC.....Instant transfers either way and good rates.....You need to have a UK and Canadian account with them though.

Tim
Old May 10th 2012, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Hi all, dh is hoping to head back to Canada soon and will be working and sending cash back to uk to support me and the kids plus we will be saving cash in Canada to finance the ping pong back there early next year.
Can anyone recommend a reasonable reliable and cheap way of sending money home electronically, probably fortnightly.
We have barclays in uk and used scotia bank in Canada but they charged an arm and a leg in commission and exchange rate was awful! This will be small but regular. Personal recommendations please thanks in advance.
I have used Canadian Forex on many occasions they have been good.
Old May 11th 2012, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

dartd27 is an unknown quantity at this point

I transfer money regularly between Canada and the UK.

Paypal charge about 3% on whatever your sending.
I have an account with RBC and they charge $13.50 to make an international remittance. I can only do that on my personal account for some strange reason and not my business account. It takes around 2-3 days depending on who they bank with.
The exchange rate they gave though wasnt very good though. 1 pound was 1.65 dollars and when i checked paypals rate it was 1.58 to every pound.
Usually paypals rate is terrible compared to xe.com.

My last transfer via Western Union for 350quid cost me $50 or $60 to send which i thought was way too much.

The post office sounds interesting though. I was going to look into money orders.

And lastly the other option is to send a bank card directly over there for them to use. We use our Canadian bank cards there. I think it cost a couple of bucks per transaction. No idea what the exchange rate is but they could take out $10 to try it and compare it to the current exchange rates on XE to see how it fares.
Old May 11th 2012, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

So does HSBC work? I have been looking into that as well. I went to the expat hsbc website and it says you need 25k sterling for a basic account and 60k sterling for a premium account. Im setting up a business venture that will be aimed at the UK but i would like to have all the cash coming through my registered business here.

http://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-e...count/eligible
Old May 11th 2012, 10:54 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dartd27
So does HSBC work? I have been looking into that as well. I went to the expat hsbc website and it says you need 25k sterling for a basic account and 60k sterling for a premium account. Im setting up a business venture that will be aimed at the UK but i would like to have all the cash coming through my registered business here.

http://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-e...count/eligible
Dart

I have just sent you a PM
Old May 11th 2012, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. I replied back.
Old May 11th 2012, 11:18 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dartd27
Thanks for the info. I replied back.
good luck. Lloyds also have an offshore banking operation, but their website only refers to US, Euro and GBP, but it may be worth enquiring as on a quick look their min balances are less than HSBC.
Old May 11th 2012, 11:28 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

So does HSBC work?
http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/en/personal/hsbcpremier

Looked into this myself but maintaining a $100,000 balance just for the service was a little ridiculous.

Checked all the other Canadian banks and didn't find anything. Even tried ING Direct but nope. Now if you were in the States, I think you could do it.