British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moving to Canada from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moving-canada-uk-822987/)

dad4geer Feb 3rd 2014 6:10 pm

Re: Moving to Canada from UK

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11111344)
I don't think many people in Canada take 27 days off. 10 actual vacation days is usual in the first full year of work but is by no means assured. One may or may not get the statutory holidays depending on the field of work.

The key difference is that to take holidays here is frowned upon, it's usual to be left with most of them at the end of the year, whereas people in the UK can take even a fortnight off without harming their position at work.

Sorry do you mean you cannot take a large chunk of your holidays at the same time? For example I normally take 15-20 days in one go as I use to visit my parents back home..by your statement it appears this will not be easy to get in Canada.

AusScotInSaskCan Feb 3rd 2014 6:13 pm

< hates ice hockey< hates the fact there are NO Poms/Scots/Aussies within a 900km radius (asides from the kids) But nice to be in the room so to speak

dad4geer Feb 3rd 2014 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by AusScotInSaskCan (Post 11111376)
< hates ice hockey< hates the fact there are NO Poms/Scots/Aussies within a 900km radius (asides from the kids) But nice to be in the room so to speak

How did you end up in Canada? do you like it more than UK or Australia?

dbd33 Feb 3rd 2014 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by dad4geer (Post 11111360)
Sorry do you mean you cannot take a large chunk of your holidays at the same time? For example I normally take 15-20 days in one go as I use to visit my parents back home..by your statement it appears this will not be easy to get in Canada.

Yes, that's what I mean. It is not customary to take more than a week off at one time. Someone who sought to do so a second time would be making a "career limiting move".

I suppose I should qualify that by saying that my recent experience is of computer related positions in Ontario; it may be that plumbers out west take comparable holidays to people in the UK.

januarymix Feb 3rd 2014 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by dad4geer (Post 11098203)
Hello all, I have recently joined this forum and have gone through few threads which were quite helpful. This is my first post :)

Let me briefly describe my current situation and then I will put my questions for your thoughts.

I am a British Citizen, not by descent but a naturalized Citizen. I am living in this country for last 9 years or so and working as a Senior IT Consultant.

In May 2012 I got Canadian Immigration (Fed Skilled worker) as a result of my application in 2008. Now I have to make a decision before Sept 2014 either to stay here in UK or make a move to Canada as otherwise my PR status will be in jeopardy. I know I have time up until May 2015 but I would rather move earlier rather than later. I am a bit confused as to whether I should really move and if it is really worth it? If I do move, I will be moving to Ontario..most probably Mississauga, Milton or Kitchener area.

Here are my questions:

1) I am on a £65K/year salary here which equates to £44,500 (CAN$82K) take home money after tax and NI. Would I be able to get a job in that bracket provided I don't have a Canadian degree but lots of technical certifications and 7 year UK experience? what do you think I should be able to get a starting salary there and how it is taxed? (take home money)

Thanks

IT consulting here - got 86 which I think is very very low by the way but I'm heading East, not West. Certificationsin ITIL, PPM and Microsoft

Good luck :)

AusScotInSaskCan Feb 3rd 2014 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by dad4geer (Post 11111382)
How did you end up in Canada? do you like it more than UK or Australia?

My hubby is Canadian,he's in the oil patch, so wont go far from home lol. I used to love Oz, now its all anti-white, will always love Scotland � ����

dad4geer Feb 3rd 2014 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by floatsy (Post 11111458)
IT consulting here - got 86 which I think is very very low by the way but I'm heading East, not West. Certificationsin ITIL, PPM and Microsoft

Good luck :)

You mean you are heading back to Europe?
Was that CAN86K/Yr? and you are saying it wasn't enough?

dad4geer Feb 3rd 2014 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11111401)
Yes, that's what I mean. It is not customary to take more than a week off at one time. Someone who sought to do so a second time would be making a "career limiting move".

I suppose I should qualify that by saying that my recent experience is of computer related positions in Ontario; it may be that plumbers out west take comparable holidays to people in the UK.

That's frighting! :unsure:

JonboyE Feb 3rd 2014 10:35 pm

I can confirm that if you tried to tell a plumber out west that they could not take their vacation you would end up with blocked toilets.