Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada from UK

Moving to Canada from UK

Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

dad4geer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada from UK

Hello all, I have recently joined this forum and have gone through few threads which were quite helpful. This is my first post

Let me briefly describe my current situation and then I will put my questions for your thoughts.

I am a British Citizen, not by descent but a naturalized Citizen. I am living in this country for last 9 years or so and working as a Senior IT Consultant.

In May 2012 I got Canadian Immigration (Fed Skilled worker) as a result of my application in 2008. Now I have to make a decision before Sept 2014 either to stay here in UK or make a move to Canada as otherwise my PR status will be in jeopardy. I know I have time up until May 2015 but I would rather move earlier rather than later. I am a bit confused as to whether I should really move and if it is really worth it? If I do move, I will be moving to Ontario..most probably Mississauga, Milton or Kitchener area.

Here are my questions:

1) I am on a £65K/year salary here which equates to £44,500 (CAN$82K) take home money after tax and NI. Would I be able to get a job in that bracket provided I don't have a Canadian degree but lots of technical certifications and 7 year UK experience? what do you think I should be able to get a starting salary there and how it is taxed? (take home money)
2) Rent of a 3 bedroom Apartment/house? how much would it cost and will it include utility bills or will that be separate? What's the equivalent of Council Tax? Do they have Council tax?
3) Driving License? I have a Full UK driving license so will I get a straight swap with Canadian or do I have to sit in their exams/tests etc
4) Car Insurance? how does that work? How much will it cost on a 2nd hand Honda Civic 2001 model (lets take this as an example). I have 9 year NC Discounts with Tesco. Will that work? I have no accidents or points on my license.
5) Do they have MOT? Road Tax?
6) Mobile phone Tariffs? Is it same like UK or expensive?
7) I am a Footie fan so cannot live without watching English Premier League (fan of Man United for last 30 years) - what channels/cable operators telecast live EPL matches (if any)? just a thought of not able to watch Football scares me..Ice Hockey is not my cup of tea!
8) Do you save more overall in ON, Canada than UK? I mean is cost of living less in ON than UK?
9) How much on average a 4 bedroom house will cost in Milton, Missisauga or Kitchener region (to buy)? how much down payment is must if you don't have credit history in Canada?
10) Is there any other area in Canada better than Ontario? (I mean less cost of living but same standards as ON)

I would appreciate if someone who has moved from UK to Ontario share their thoughts and experience with regards to my points above.

Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Moving to Canada from UK

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I haven't done the math myself but your assumption on dates looks wrong to me.
You do realise that as from the date you land as pr , you need to maintain residence in Canada for two years out of any 5 year period
Hi Zoe, yes I do understand that.
I landed in Canada as a PR on 7th May 2012 so that means I have my PR status Valid up until 7th May 2017. I have to live in Canada for 2 years between this period which means I must leave UK latest by April 2015 to complete my 2 years. As I said I would like to leave earlier than April 2015 if I have to make a move hence Sept 2014.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Depends - Depends - Depends..... So many variables

Of course you might be able to get a job at $85k - maybe not - It'll be up to your new boss

Rent ? $1000 to $3500 p/m - depends on what and where - Utilities Included? Maybe, maybe not - depends on the landlord

Tax ? Yes there will be taxes

Driving License ? Straight swap in Ontario

Insurance ? Works the same way as in UK - You pay the man - he pays you if you crash. $3000 for your first year insurance (ish) no claim discount from Uk does not apply generally, but a few companies will give you 5 or 10%

MOT ? No, not as such, but all vehicles being registered to a new owner have to have a "safety certificate" (MOT) for registering for road use.

TAX ? Of course everyone gets taxed for everything - annual "tags" requires $75 ish

Mobile Phone ? Nope but we have cell phones..... Any good? $30 to $100 per month depends what you need

Football ? Nope...... There's a thing called soccer .... Don't mention no liking Hockey (wrong country pal).

Cost of Living ? Higher in Canada

House Prices ? Hahaha Yes !! Look at any house prices in any city anywhere in the world - Do you want to spend $100,000 and live in a s88t tip or $1,000,000 and have something quite nice? check out mls.ca

Better place than Ontario ? Sorry sir - seems you have no clue what you are asking ! Of course there are cheaper places to live than "Ontario" it's the second largest country in the world ! Ontario is a huge place in itself and look hard you will easily find property for as little as $1 (YES ONE DOLLAR)

A little basic research will give you your own answers - The information you provide is very vague and personal preference make a huge difference to the answers you need.

Good Luck

Originally Posted by dad4geer
Hello all, I have recently joined this forum and have gone through few threads which were quite helpful. This is my first post

Let me briefly describe my current situation and then I will put my questions for your thoughts.

I am a British Citizen, not by descent but a naturalized Citizen. I am living in this country for last 9 years or so and working as a Senior IT Consultant.

In May 2012 I got Canadian Immigration (Fed Skilled worker) as a result of my application in 2008. Now I have to make a decision before Sept 2014 either to stay here in UK or make a move to Canada as otherwise my PR status will be in jeopardy. I know I have time up until May 2015 but I would rather move earlier rather than later. I am a bit confused as to whether I should really move and if it is really worth it? If I do move, I will be moving to Ontario..most probably Mississauga, Milton or Kitchener area.

Here are my questions:

1) I am on a £65K/year salary here which equates to £44,500 (CAN$82K) take home money after tax and NI. Would I be able to get a job in that bracket provided I don't have a Canadian degree but lots of technical certifications and 7 year UK experience? what do you think I should be able to get a starting salary there and how it is taxed? (take home money)
2) Rent of a 3 bedroom Apartment/house? how much would it cost and will it include utility bills or will that be separate? What's the equivalent of Council Tax? Do they have Council tax?
3) Driving License? I have a Full UK driving license so will I get a straight swap with Canadian or do I have to sit in their exams/tests etc
4) Car Insurance? how does that work? How much will it cost on a 2nd hand Honda Civic 2001 model (lets take this as an example). I have 9 year NC Discounts with Tesco. Will that work? I have no accidents or points on my license.
7) I am a Footie fan so cannot live without watching English Premier League (fan of Man United for last 30 years) - what channels/cable operators telecast live EPL matches (if any)? just a thought of not able to watch Football scares me..Ice Hockey is not my cup of tea!
8) Do you save more overall in ON, Canada than UK? I mean is cost of living less in ON than UK?
9) How much on average a 4 bedroom house will cost in Milton, Missisauga or Kitchener region (to buy)? how much down payment is must if you don't have credit history in Canada?
10) Is there any other area in Canada better than Ontario? (I mean less cost of living but same standards as ON)
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:24 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Zoe, yes I do understand that.
I landed in Canada as a PR on 7th May 2012 so that means I have my PR status Valid up until 7th May 2017. I have to live in Canada for 2 years between this period which means I must leave UK latest by April 2015 to complete my 2 years. As I said I would like to leave earlier than April 2015 if I have to make a move hence Sept 2014.
Yeah sorry , misread your dates. Hoped I'd deleted it before you saw it !
Old Jan 27th 2014, 12:48 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Here are my questions:

I would appreciate if someone who has moved from UK to Ontario share their thoughts and experience with regards to my points above.

Thanks
Hi Dad4geer

Out of interest, why do you want to move to Canada? Has it been a long-term ambition? What is the attraction of Ontario over, say, Vancouver or Calgary, or any other region? I ask out of pure curiosity, as we decided on the west coast and against the east.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

iancampbell9 is an unknown quantity at this point

dad4geer in terms of PL football there is more here than in the UK as there are no 3pm blackouts here and you'll typically have a choice of 2-3 of those games as well as all of those that are on TV in England too.

Pretty much every Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and City game is on over here and most Everton (my team) and Spurs games too.

The pundits and commentary is awful which is a shame but other than that you're good, I miss going to the games but at least you dont miss the match altogether.

You will need cable with TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet Ontario & Sportsnet World (premium channel - $20 extra a month on top of cable package).

Last edited by iancampbell9; Jan 27th 2014 at 1:05 am.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Hi Dad4geer

Out of interest, why do you want to move to Canada?.
Or to paraphrase, why did you originally apply for PR? Has anything significant changed in your life since then which leads you to question your motives?

Are you single? Married? With or without children?

I had a pretty sarcastic response to your post lined up, but reconsidered upon reading J-A-Uk's reply which pretty much covered what I would have said, in a much nicer fashion.

My perspective: I have survived, & even lived quite well, here in Canada, on a MUCH smaller salary than you quote. The cost of living has risen quite horrendously since I came here, & I calculate thAt in many respects, I'd be better off back in the UK. I stay for family reasons, & a certain quietness of life that I *might* not have elsewhere. I'm currently unemployed, & the job market is extremely tough at the moment.

If you take a little time, there are many job sites, car & insurance sites & accommodation rental ones which if perused, may help you reformulate your questions so that we can give more pertinent answers. (Hint : Wiki here, Google)

I can't help on the football question :-)
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
My perspective: I have survived, & even lived quite well, here in Canada, on a MUCH smaller salary than you quote. The cost of living has risen quite horrendously since I came here, & I calculate thAt in many respects, I'd be better off back in the UK.
I'm with you there 'shirtback' - I don't feel I can earn anything near to what I earned in UK but I make it work for me very well.

Having been back to UK in 08 09 10 11 12 and 13 I think I am way better off materialistically in Canada - Additionally and more important to me I feel everything so much more calm and relaxed over all.

Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Quite interesting posts..thank you all.. I am at work at the moment so will come back with replies to all of you.. Special thanks to Iancampbell9.. to the point answer..appreciate that mate..

Last edited by dad4geer; Jan 27th 2014 at 9:38 am.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iancampbell9
dad4geer in terms of PL football there is more here than in the UK as there are no 3pm blackouts here and you'll typically have a choice of 2-3 of those games as well as all of those that are on TV in England too.

Pretty much every Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and City game is on over here and most Everton (my team) and Spurs games too.

The pundits and commentary is awful which is a shame but other than that you're good, I miss going to the games but at least you dont miss the match altogether.

You will need cable with TSN, TSN2, Sportsnet Ontario & Sportsnet World (premium channel - $20 extra a month on top of cable package).
Personally, I have found that Sportsnet World is not really worth it...a year or so ago, they had more games available but now TSN/TSN2/Sportsnet various incarnations typically have 7 or 8 per weekend and Sportsnet World is left with games like Crystal Palace/Sunderland etc (no offense to fans of those teams). In addition tsn.ca sometimes has games you can watch on the internet with good feeds. If you are a fan or rugby or cricket then Sportsnet World is better value.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Personally, I have found that Sportsnet World is not really worth it...a year or so ago, they had more games available but now TSN/TSN2/Sportsnet various incarnations typically have 7 or 8 per weekend and Sportsnet World is left with games like Crystal Palace/Sunderland etc (no offense to fans of those teams). In addition tsn.ca sometimes has games you can watch on the internet with good feeds. If you are a fan or rugby or cricket then Sportsnet World is better value.
Do they still have Setanta?I had it on Shaw for $10 a month.Im a football addict and I need my fix ,hockey doesnt do it for me!If you dont like the north american commentary you can watch the games on the internet.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 2:20 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Do they still have Setanta?I had it on Shaw for $10 a month.Im a football addict and I need my fix ,hockey doesnt do it for me!If you dont like the north american commentary you can watch the games on the internet.
Setanta is now Sportsnet World and is around $20 per month with tax.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I agree nowhere near the value it was last year.

Problem is that Everton seem to be on SNW 1-2 times a month and i'd gladly pay the $20 for that alone.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

OK now I have got some time and I can clarify few things I asked before

Why I want to move to Canada or Why did I apply for PR back in 2008?

I have my sister living in Kitchener ON (CAN Citizen) and quite a few Uni friends in Missisauga/Toronto area. I don't know anyone in rest of Canada. In 2008 I had family pressure to apply for Canadian PR in case I decide to leave UK in future and move to Canada. So here I am trying to come to a decision..I am married no kids (yet!).

J-A-UK - Thank you Sir for your valuable information..When I asked about Salaries all I wanted to know that if a person is making £65K in UK (Equivalent to CAN$120K) .. will his take home money (after taxes etc.) be same if he makes say CAN$95k because I don't think I will get a job starting 120K in my first few years. I am not 100% sure how taxes work in Canada? i think you have Fed+State tax?

Regarding Car Insurance I have read/heard that Johnson actually considers UK NCD and give you 6 stars for a 8 year+ NCD in UK. They obviously need all papers from UK Insurance provider + from DVLA. Am I right?

You said "Cost of Living ? Higher in Canada" buy my friends who are living in Sauga and Ottawa say cost of living is less than England.
They say in ON Sales tax is 13% while VAT in UK is 18% so they are saving money on everything we in UK are paying more. How true is that?

Also, can you please tell me a bit more about your signature? seems like you had a terrible time there and still regret moving to Canada! I'd really like to hear why you say that so I can learn from your experience.

Note: Sorry I won't be able to call Football as Soccer..Hate that word! Also, no matter how hard I try I can never fall for Ice hockey! That's just me so no offence.

@RivingTonPike "Out of interest, why do you want to move to Canada? Has it been a long-term ambition? What is the attraction of Ontario over, say, Vancouver or Calgary, or any other region? I ask out of pure curiosity, as we decided on the west coast and against the east."

Like I said all my family & friends are in Ontario and also its cheaper than BC.

@Iancampbell9 - I did check some cable packages like Rogers and Shaw and seems like we are talking about at least $85/mo right?

@shirtback - You mentioned if you look back you'd be better in UK than in Canada? why did you say that? any harsh experiences?

Also, forgot to ask before, in Canada you only have 15 days holidays! Is that true? my holidays entitlement has gone up to 28 now in UK. If that 15 days is true then how do you guys manage whole year in just 15 days? (I struggle even in 25 here) ...do you guys have more Public holidays?

Thanks to everyone who is sharing their valuable experience/information.

Last edited by dad4geer; Feb 2nd 2014 at 9:25 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

OK now I have got some time and I can clarify few things I asked before

Why I want to move to Canada or Why did I apply for PR back in 2008?

I have my sister living in Kitchener ON (CAN Citizen) and quite a few Uni friends in Missisauga/Toronto area. I don't know anyone in rest of Canada. In 2008 I had family pressure to apply for Canadian PR in case I decide to leave UK in future and move to Canada. So here I am trying to come to a decision..I am married no kids (yet!).

J-A-UK - Thank you Sir for your valuable information..When I asked about Salaries all I wanted to know that if a person is making £65K in UK (Equivalent to CAN$120K) .. will his take home money (after taxes etc.) be same if he makes say CAN$95k because I don't think I will get a job starting 120K in my first few years. I am not 100% sure how taxes work in Canada? i think you have Fed+State tax?

Regarding Car Insurance I have read/heard that Johnson actually considers UK NCD and give you 6 stars for a 8 year+ NCD in UK. They obviously need all papers from UK Insurance provider + from DVLA. Am I right?

You said "Cost of Living ? Higher in Canada" buy my friends who are living in Sauga and Ottawa say cost of living is less than England.
They say in ON Sales tax is 13% while VAT in UK is 18% so they are saving money on everything we in UK are paying more. How true is that?

Also, can you please tell me a bit more about your signature? seems like you had a terrible time there and still regret moving to Canada! I'd really like to hear why you say that so I can learn from your experience.

Note: Sorry I won't be able to call Football as Soccer..Hate that word! Also, no matter how hard I try I can never fall for Ice hockey! That's just me so no offence.

@RivingTonPike "Out of interest, why do you want to move to Canada? Has it been a long-term ambition? What is the attraction of Ontario over, say, Vancouver or Calgary, or any other region? I ask out of pure curiosity, as we decided on the west coast and against the east."

Like I said all my family & friends are in Ontario and also its cheaper than BC.

@Iancampbell9 - I did check some cable packages like Rogers and Shaw and seems like we are talking about at least $85/mo right?

@shirtback - You mentioned if you look back you'd be better in UK than in Canada? why did you say that? any harsh experiences?

Also, forgot to ask before, in Canada you only have 15 days holidays! Is that true? my holidays entitlement has gone up to 28 now in UK. If that 15 days is true then how do you guys manage whole year in just 15 days? (I struggle even in 25 here) ...do you guys have more Public holidays?

Thanks to everyone who is sharing their valuable experience/information.
Yeah about that - I think we pay about $130 for cable, phone and internet.

Less than that, its 10 days as minimum under employment standards act, a number of companies will start you at 3 weeks though. I left Uk on 25 days so yes bit of an adjustment but you do adjust. Public holidays are more or less the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.