Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to canada and still being a lawyer?

moving to canada and still being a lawyer?

Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

7506dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to canada and still being a lawyer?

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I am looking to move to ontario as i have been there over the last 2 summers, and fell in love with the place. I currently doing the Legal Practice Course, and am then looking to go over to Ontario, and practise. Ive done some research about the NCA accredidation, but i do not know what to do after this and the visa situation. After you have completed the NCA exams, is it hard to find an articling position and do you need a working visa or student visa to complete this?

I would be grateful for any help.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to canada and still being a lawyer?

Originally Posted by 7506dan
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I am looking to move to ontario as i have been there over the last 2 summers, and fell in love with the place. I currently doing the Legal Practice Course, and am then looking to go over to Ontario, and practise. Ive done some research about the NCA accredidation, but i do not know what to do after this and the visa situation. After you have completed the NCA exams, is it hard to find an articling position and do you need a working visa or student visa to complete this?

I would be grateful for any help.
You will need some form of visa to accomplish this, likely PR. The Law Society of Alberta states that one must be a citizen or PR to be called to the Bar.

I suggest you contact the Law Society of Upper Canada to ascertain their articling requirements. From speaking to those that have tried to do it in Ontario, I believe it isn't easy.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

i found this on the law of society of upper canada website

I am not or have not applied to be a permanent resident of Canada or a Canadian citizen. Can I enter and complete the Licensing Process and be called to the Bar of Ontario?

Yes, as of May 1, 2007 revisions to The Law Society Act no longer require a Licensing Process candidate to apply for or be a permanent resident or a Canadian Citizen when entering the Licensing Process or for the purpose of being called to the Bar of Ontario. However, you will need to provide required Canadian issued documents for purposes of confirming your legal name.

so this means i do not have to apply for permanent residency?
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If working in Canada you need a work permit, to obtain a work permit you either need a Labour Market Opinion or be exempt from one under R204-208of the Immigration & Refugee Protection Act. No LMO required for a Lawyer

Lawyer (including Notary in the Province of Quebec)
LL.B., J.D., LL.L., B.C.L. or Licenciatura Degree (five years) or Abogado, or membership in a state/provincial bar.

Your problem would be finding a firm or practice who would hire you.

This manual explains most things required for working in Canada.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/fw/index.asp

I dont know what Canadian documents other than a Work Permit you could produce to confirm your legal name if you dont make relevant applications.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

thankyou, so is there anybody on these forums, that has done the change to be a lawyer in Canada?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

I'm attempting to become a registered geologist in Ontario and it's quite frustrating. I hear it's similarly long-winded and expensive in other professional fields.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou, so is there anybody on these forums, that has done the change to be a lawyer in Canada?
I was a solicitor in England and am now a solicitor and barrister in Alberta. I know many that have requalified from all over the world, in most Provinces in Canada.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Almost Canadian is there any chance that you may give some general advice to how you became a qualified solicitor in Alberta if that is possible.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian is there any chance that you may give some general advice to how you became a qualified solicitor in Alberta if that is possible.
One applies to the NCA; pass the exams they stipulate; find a firm to Article with (1 year); during Articles one attends the CPLED course (bar exam); at the end of articling, one is called to the Bar.

The issue is obtaining articles. If you have prior experience in another jurisdiction some firms look on this as an advantage, others view it as a disadvantage. If one is not qualified in another jurisdiction, Canadian lawyers will want to know why you didn't attend law school in Canada. They will asssume you weren't good enough to get in (I had this accusation levelled at me at an interview here).
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

how long did it take you to find an articling position, and did you begin searching during your NCA exams?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

how long did it take you to find an articling position, and did you begin searching during your NCA exams?
Immediately and yes. I had the experience that the firm required. Without such experience, I have no idea how long it would have taken me to obtain articles.

The recruitment for articles is completely different to how it is done in England. In England, the firms look to recruit someone that they will then offer a position to once the training contract is finished (provided, of course, the trainee does not screw up completely).

In Canada, they take on 100 articling students with the intention of retaining, say, 10. They will then keep the best 10.

Most Canadian law graduates are able to obtain articles (unlike England). The trick is Canada is to be retained once articles are finished. The trick in England is to obtain a training contract in the first place.

The advantage with Canada is that, once called, you can set up your own practise. As you may know, this is not allowed in England. The result is that, in Canada, if one is not retained one can try hanging up one's own shingle.

If you are able to come through the LPC you will find the NCA's exams and the Bar exam a breeze.

Best of luck
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Immediately and yes. I had the experience that the firm required. Without such experience, I have no idea how long it would have taken me to obtain articles.

The recruitment for articles is completely different to how it is done in England. In England, the firms look to recruit someone that they will then offer a position to once the training contract is finished (provided, of course, the trainee does not screw up completely).

In Canada, they take on 100 articling students with the intention of retaining, say, 10. They will then keep the best 10.

Most Canadian law graduates are able to obtain articles (unlike England). The trick is Canada is to be retained once articles are finished. The trick in England is to obtain a training contract in the first place.

The advantage with Canada is that, once called, you can set up your own practise. As you may know, this is not allowed in England. The result is that, in Canada, if one is not retained one can try hanging up one's own shingle.

If you are able to come through the LPC you will find the NCA's exams and the Bar exam a breeze.

Best of luck
thanks very much, it makes me feel a lot better that people have gone through the process smoothly. Is their a general website offering the articling positions, or is it better to search firm by firm. I am gonna get my file assessed by the NCA as soon as I have finished this elective exams.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thanks very much, it makes me feel a lot better that people have gone through the process smoothly. Is their a general website offering the articling positions, or is it better to search firm by firm. I am gonna get my file assessed by the NCA as soon as I have finished this elective exams.
No general website and you need to apply to each individual firm.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
No general website and you need to apply to each individual firm.
Just sat my last NCA exam today - try a search under my name and some threads should appear, although Almost Canadian's info is good. I have no knowledge of Ontario but am happy to help if I can.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Merry
Just sat my last NCA exam today - try a search under my name and some threads should appear, although Almost Canadian's info is good. I have no knowledge of Ontario but am happy to help if I can.
oh thanks Merry, how did your NCA exams go, any luck with finding an articling position

Last edited by 7506dan; Jan 26th 2012 at 8:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.