Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada Import Duty on Used Items.

Moving to Canada Import Duty on Used Items.

Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Acorleone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada Import Duty on Used Items.

Hi, in the Next Few weeks we are moving to Canada as Expats for Three Year,

1)They Guy who is dealing with the Move told us that anything under 12 Months had to pay Import Duty.
Can Someone please confirm that?
I'm was trying to find some information about it but can't find anything Please Advice

2) Also We Want to Take with us some sauces and Marinates from Nandos and Some Curry (Thai and Indian) Stuff but we where told We Can't take Food with US

3) I own around 500 Cds Now most of them I have them in my IPOD but I don't wanted to take with me the whole Physical lot. I read something about Copyright Laws and Checks in the Airports of IPODS :S and Custom Points is this True? is a good Idea to Bring the CDs?

Last edited by Acorleone; Jun 8th 2010 at 9:49 am.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada Import Duty on Used Items.

3) It is possible for them to check your IPOD (though not likely) This has nothing to do with copyright (as they have no way of knowing what you have legal rights to).

This is more about checking to see if you are transporting documents relating to financial fraud and / or terrorism.

Technically speaking, you should keep the CD. I just brought a metal case and put all my CDs in that and shipped it.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to the items and import duty.

The items have to be used before you bring them. If you sell them within a year of bringing them into Canada that is when you have to pay duty. Just check the goods to follw form, it is pretty clear.

Just malke sure that you take things out of their original packaging. There is no other way for them to know whether or not the items are used.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Acorleone
Hi, in the Next Few weeks we are moving to Canada as Expats for Three Year,

1)They Guy who is dealing with the Move told us that anything under 12 Months had to pay Import Duty.
Can Someone please confirm that?
I'm was trying to find some information about it but can't find anything Please Advice

2) Also We Want to Take with us some sauces and Marinates from Nandos and Some Curry (Thai and Indian) Stuff but we where told We Can't take Food with US

3) I own around 500 Cds Now most of them I have them in my IPOD but I don't wanted to take with me the whole Physical lot. I read something about Copyright Laws and Checks in the Airports of IPODS :S and Custom Points is this True? is a good Idea to Bring the CDs?

If they are deemed to attract duty, it depends on country of manufacture and tariff code as to how much, in this case there would also be GST and PST or HST depending on where and when you clear customs. Speak to a customs broker not the shipping firms salesman. Pacific Customs Brokers in BC would be able to advise you. They could also clear your shipment for you, you don't have to use the shipping firms broker.

In Canada we pay musicians for copyright whether we like it or not http://news.cnet.com/2100-1025_3-5121479.html
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can take food into Canada as long as it is not on the list of restricted or banned items. You just need to declare it.

Though you can do it, I would be very cautious about doing so, as the border people can go a bit crazy when it comes to food items.

There are a number of very nice sauces and marinades available in Canada, and in some areas, they even have Nandos
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Acorleone
Hi, in the Next Few weeks we are moving to Canada as Expats for Three Year
If it's a temporary move, on a visa of finite length, I don't think you have to worry about import duties or taxes, it's assumed that you'll take the stuff out of the country at the end of the stay. An interesting loophole is that, if you convert a student or similar visa to a permanent one, no one comes looking for the duty that would have been payable had you had the permanent visa in the first place.