Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada, and becoming a teacher

Moving to Canada, and becoming a teacher

Old Apr 1st 2024, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Knightofsquires is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada, and becoming a teacher

Hi all!

I have been looking into finally fulfilling my dream and moving to Canada. I'm also considering going into teaching (particularly 11-18's, chemistry or other sciences). I have a bachelors in science already, and if i were to be a teacher here in UK, next step is a PGCE.

My question is, to any who know more than me, is it worth me staying here to do the PGCE before the move, or to get a study visa to do the equivilent qualification in canada and then apply for work and permenant residency once i complete the necessary qualifications?

Any other threads I've seen on this are quite old now so i dont know how much the situations have changed etc so just looking for any information that is current, or at least recent.

My priority is getting to Canada, more than teaching, but my other qualifications are somewhat limited so this seems like the most plausible route to get in, from my research so far.

Thank you
Caleb.
Old Apr 1st 2024, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada, and becoming a teacher

Originally Posted by Knightofsquires
Hi all!

I have been looking into finally fulfilling my dream and moving to Canada. I'm also considering going into teaching (particularly 11-18's, chemistry or other sciences). I have a bachelors in science already, and if i were to be a teacher here in UK, next step is a PGCE.

My question is, to any who know more than me, is it worth me staying here to do the PGCE before the move, or to get a study visa to do the equivilent qualification in canada and then apply for work and permenant residency once i complete the necessary qualifications?

Any other threads I've seen on this are quite old now so i dont know how much the situations have changed etc so just looking for any information that is current, or at least recent.

My priority is getting to Canada, more than teaching, but my other qualifications are somewhat limited so this seems like the most plausible route to get in, from my research so far.

Thank you
Caleb.
Hi, welcome to BE.

Unless things have changed in the past year or so, teaching isn't a great route to Canada tbh. If your main aim is a move to Canada rather than a lifelong desire to become a teacher, then I'd look at something else (engineering, construction or medicine would all be good). That's if you need something else at all - are you sure you don't qualify for a visa already??

Here is the most recent thread I could find just in case you haven't already seen it - UK teacher moving to Canada HELP

A lot of the previous threads will reference our Wiki article about it, but sadly the Wiki has since been removed, here's a link to a cached version of that page - https://web.archive.org/web/20230207...hing_in_Canada

HTH, good luck.

Old Apr 1st 2024, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's if you need something else at all - are you sure you don't qualify for a visa already??

I will admit I don't know for certain if I do of don't currently. my circumstances at home have changed somewhat very recently and ive kind of jumped at this chance to make the dream a reality. But thus i havent done extrnsive research as of yet, and i didnt realise teaching wasnt a great route. I only know that my other skills are sorely lacking tbh, ive worked in warehouses, retail, and hospitality for almost my whole life. I have a degree but haven't used it, and I have some low level accountancy qualifications (but not enough to be considered an 'accountant').

I do have a parent that lives out there so I assume that would work in my favour, but aside from that I guess I need to do a little more research I to what my options are as I have no other transferable skills at present.

Thank you for the swift reply tho, I will be sure to check out the other thread you suggested too :-)
Old Apr 1st 2024, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I will admit I don't know for certain if I do of don't currently. my circumstances at home have changed somewhat very recently and ive kind of jumped at this chance to make the dream a reality. But thus i havent done extrnsive research as of yet, and i didnt realise teaching wasnt a great route. I only know that my other skills are sorely lacking tbh, ive worked in warehouses, retail, and hospitality for almost my whole life. I have a degree but haven't used it, and I have some low level accountancy qualifications (but not enough to be considered an 'accountant').

I do have a parent that lives out there so I assume that would work in my favour, but aside from that I guess I need to do a little more research I to what my options are as I have no other transferable skills at present.

Thank you for the swift reply tho, I will be sure to check out the other thread you suggested too :-)
Personal question I know, but how old are you? And which province does your parent live in, and what is their status in Canada (temporary visa, PR, citizen)?
Old Apr 1st 2024, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

I am 34, 35 in September, and my parent has PR in Nova Scotia
Old Apr 1st 2024, 10:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I am 34, 35 in September, and my parent has PR in Nova Scotia
Aha! As you're under 36, you have an easy and quick route available to you which is great. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...b-wh#selection

Unfortunately your parent is of no use to you (from a visa point of view, I'm sure they're very useful in other ways!).

Good luck.
Old Apr 2nd 2024, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Aha! As you're under 36, you have an easy and quick route available to you which is great.

Unfortunately your parent is of no use to you (from a visa point of view, I'm sure they're very useful in other ways!).

Good luck.
Ahh thats awesome! Buts only temporary... is it possible to apply for PR during this time? Or is it more of a case of 'this will be looked on favourably' kind of a deal if i apply for PR later?
Old Apr 2nd 2024, 2:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Ahh thats awesome! Buts only temporary... is it possible to apply for PR during this time? Or is it more of a case of 'this will be looked on favourably' kind of a deal if i apply for PR later?
It's absolutely possible. Obviously it will help with your point score as you'll have work in Canada (just make sure it's skilled work), so you're more likely to qualify, but there's no 'looked on favourably' - you either meet the criteria for PR or you don't.

It seems like your best option from what you've said, if your aim is to move to Canada, but do give more info on your previous jobs and qualifications if you want somebody to double check there's no other obvious route.
Old Apr 2nd 2024, 3:24 am
Just Joined

One last quick question (thank you so much for your help so far, and the warm welcome :-) ), but im not 100% on what classes as skilled work, and what doesnt, is there a list if examples somewhere that i have just missed?

Thank you again
Old Apr 2nd 2024, 12:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

One last quick question (thank you so much for your help so far, and the warm welcome :-) ), but im not 100% on what classes as skilled work, and what doesnt, is there a list if examples somewhere that i have just missed?

Thank you again
There isn't a list as it's thousands of jobs. You just need to check which NOC code/Tier your jobs come under - if they're Tier 0, 1, 2, or 3 then they're skilled. If they're Tier 4 or 5 then they're not so won't count for points purposes - but if the province you wish to move to has a low skilled or semi-skilled stream, then they may still be a way to get a visa anyway. But ideally you'd make sure any job is skilled to give yourself the most possible options (and you'll be surprised at what counts as skilled).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tion-code.html

HTH.
Old Apr 2nd 2024, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

While immigration falls under federal jurisdiction (the Government of Canada oversees immigration requirements), teaching falls under the provincial jurisdiction. Each province (and territory) governs its education separately from one another. Ontario governs its education quite differently than British Columbia. Alberta governs its education quite differently than Quebec. And so on. You'll have to look up what each province requires to become a teacher. It will be different from one province to the next. This goes for most day-to-day living in Canada. Often it's the provincial government, not the federal government, who oversees the daily stuff - road rules, taxes, education, healthcare, etc. Each province is governed differently from the next. So where you end up in Canada matters. The provincial rules/regulations/systems will play a bigger role once you're here.

Last edited by Lychee; Apr 2nd 2024 at 5:35 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2024, 10:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK there is no post-graduate PGCE type of entry into teaching in Canada. The only entry is through doing a teaching degree in Canada or getting a foreign teaching degree assessed - and likely having to do some courses to fill in any assessed gaps. Google "Teaching Union / Association + Province of choice" as everything is provincially regulated rather than federally. Note that teaching is a unionised profession across Canada and seniority is king (or queen). Thus a newly qualified teacher has to, in most circumstances, build up seniority through substitute and short term contract teaching until they have a hope of getting a full time permanent position. I know teachers here in Newfoundland who have been teaching for years and are on year to year contracts. The challenge, for newly minted teachers in Canada is how to live on the uncertain income that substituting brings - although here at least, a dearth of substitutes of late has meant more consistent work to those that are looking.