Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada because I feel like I will never be successful in the UK

Moving to Canada because I feel like I will never be successful in the UK

Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada because I feel like I will never be successful in the UK

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx

I can't see why she couldn't get an apprenticeship, but her British friends did, if she is an EU citizen and has full rights in the UK, besides her interview technique being wrong, or her English skills not being up to par. (though from her posts she sounds very good, so I can't see it being that)
Or maybe she didn't make it clear at interview that she is an EU citizen and is able to work in the UK? She should ask them for interview feedback.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada because I feel like I will never be successful in the UK

Originally Posted by bats
Or maybe she didn't make it clear at interview that she is an EU citizen and is able to work in the UK? She should ask them for interview feedback.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 10:26 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Generally at interviews they want to see some form of ID and most if the time it's a passport and an NI number to check you can work in the UK

For the record Romania's restrictions were lifted at the beginning if January so they can come over to the UK without having to prove anything in order to work
Old Apr 20th 2014, 11:28 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Generally at interviews they want to see some form of ID and most if the time it's a passport and an NI number to check you can work in the UK

For the record Romania's restrictions were lifted at the beginning if January so they can come over to the UK without having to prove anything in order to work
Romania? ? what does Romania have to do with it?

Interviews I have been in have never asked for ID. HR will when you are offered the job but not in an interview.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 11:45 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder whether the OP's failure to find a placement is just to do with not having contacts. I say this because friends in the UK with sons and daughters at uni always appear to have to play an active role in finding placements. This puts students with 'unconnected' parents at a disadvantage. But it hasn't got anything to do with prejudice, and I don't think it should put the OP off a career in the UK.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, the reasons the OP has given in her first post for wanting to leave the UK and come to Canada are the same ones I frequently hear from people who haven't got on in Canada and are thinking of leaving.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Romania? ? what does Romania have to do with it?

Interviews I have been in have never asked for ID. HR will when you are offered the job but not in an interview.
Romanian nationals, prior to January (as beckiwoo said) had to have a visa to live/work in the UK. Their restrictions have been lifted. What about Bulgarians, have their restrictions been lifted?
Old Apr 21st 2014, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Romanian nationals, prior to January (as beckiwoo said) had to have a visa to live/work in the UK. Their restrictions have been lifted. What about Bulgarians, have their restrictions been lifted?
Romania & Bulgaria were subject to the same transitional controls in the UK, which were lifted on 1/1/14.

At some point in February, it was reported that more Conservative MPs had, back in 2013, signed a hysterical Early Day Motion in parliament fearing the influx of Romanians & Bulgarians than new migrants had actually arrived in the country.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 12:53 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Romania & Bulgaria were subject to the same transitional controls in the UK, which were lifted on 1/1/14.

At some point in February, it was reported that more Conservative MPs had, back in 2013, signed a hysterical Early Day Motion in parliament fearing the influx of Romanians & Bulgarians than new migrants had actually arrived in the country.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 12:57 am
limey party pooper

yep I get that but the OP isnt Romanian
Old Apr 21st 2014, 1:07 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Agreed. Totally irrelevant.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Many people say that Canadians like to employ people with Canadian experience. I find it odd that you came across this in the UK as I have never come across such discrimination in the UK, we employed people from many countries. Presumably your work permits etc were all in order?
My husband (who was educated at one of Russia's best Universities) struggled at first in the UK as many companies didn't recognise his non Uk degree. He finally got a job at the company I worked for, based on the fact that he had worked for them on a temporary secondment the year before. This was before the EU open borders thing, but our experience was very definitely that the British companies want british education and experience every bit as much as Canadian ones want Canadian experience.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 1:39 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
My husband (who was educated at one of Russia's best Universities) struggled at first in the UK as many companies didn't recognise his non Uk degree. He finally got a job at the company I worked for, based on the fact that he had worked for them on a temporary secondment the year before. This was before the EU open borders thing, but our experience was very definitely that the British companies want british education and experience every bit as much as Canadian ones want Canadian experience.
My experience is in hospitals so maybe that's different. If your qualifications are recognised by the relevant authority then we welcomed other ideas and ways of doing things.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 2:01 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
But the OP is doing a marketing degree in the UK.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
But the OP is doing a marketing degree in the UK.
That is true, my comment was more of a response to a later post that suggested that in the UK there was less discrimination against people with non UK work experience than people in Canada find with no Canadian experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.