Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada Advice Needed

Moving to Canada Advice Needed

Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Phillip69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada Advice Needed

Hello everyone! I am a British Citizen living at present in Egypt with my Russian wife of 5 years. Really don't want to go back to the UK, even though it seems the only course of action to obtain a better passport than her 'restraining' Russian one. Is it possible to move to Canada instead & her eventually qualify for citizenship in Canada, (or am i just dreaming?!) I am 43, wife 27, married for 5 years with all correct documents etc. Would have enough to buy a property if that would assist application process????? Also, (if i am not dreaming), where is a nice place there with preferably the 'warmest' winters? Any assistance greatly appreciated - Phillip & Yulia G
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada Advice Needed

Originally Posted by Phillip69
Hello everyone! I am a British Citizen living at present in Egypt with my Russian wife of 5 years. Really don't want to go back to the UK, even though it seems the only course of action to obtain a better passport than her 'restraining' Russian one. Is it possible to move to Canada instead & her eventually qualify for citizenship in Canada, (or am i just dreaming?!) I am 43, wife 27, married for 5 years with all correct documents etc. Would have enough to buy a property if that would assist application process????? Also, (if i am not dreaming), where is a nice place there with preferably the 'warmest' winters? Any assistance greatly appreciated - Phillip & Yulia G
Neither of you can just move to Canada. You have to qualify for a work permit or residency. Best to read this first. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Buying a property will not help in the application process at all. Your skills and qualifications are pretty much all that will help you and whether your occupation is in demand.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got experience of a job that's on 'the list' then you can apply as a skilled worker and get PR for you and the missus. Takes less than a year now-a-days apparently. If you don't have this, then you probably need to find a job first.

Take a look at the questions here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/engl...come-to-canada

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 4th 2011 at 5:08 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that moving to the UK would gain her a British passport either - maybe post that question in the Moving Back to the UK section of the forum, there are some very knowledgeable people there

Anyone who has been a permanent resident of Canada for at least 3 (I think) years, and fulfills residency and other requirements can apply for Canadian citizenship and then a passport. But like a pp said, you would need to qualify to come that way.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 12:17 pm
Banned

steff123 has a spectacular aura aboutsteff123 has a spectacular aura aboutsteff123 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dashie
I'm not sure that moving to the UK would gain her a British passport either - maybe post that question in the Moving Back to the UK section of the forum, there are some very knowledgeable people there
I'd look into that, last time I checked, marriage to a UK citizen would qualify for that, but yet again, that information might be outdated.

Originally Posted by Dashie
Anyone who has been a permanent resident of Canada for at least 3 (I think) years, and fulfills residency and other requirements can apply for Canadian citizenship and then a passport. But like a pp said, you would need to qualify to come that way.
Correct.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steff123
I'd look into that, last time I checked, marriage to a UK citizen would qualify for that, but yet again, that information might be outdated.

Correct.
Isn't it bad that I couldn't remember the residency requirements for citizenship when we sent our application off last week..lol! We've been here for 6 1/2 years, I just knew it was less than that

Here's a link for the UK stuff - 3 years and some other requirements for spouses, you can also find the visa information for indefinite leave to remain on there too. There are also threads on the moving back section on the changes that are planned for spousal visas starting next spring, might be worth a look over there.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...tnerofcitizen/