Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada

Moving to Canada

Old Apr 5th 2021, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Slaydbyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada

Hi everyone,

My first post, so feel free to ask any questions if I am not clear enough.

In 2019 we moved from England to Queensland, Australia on a temporary visa pathway to permanent residency, PR was granted in February 2020.

While we are told living in Australia and getting PR just before the pandemic was officially recognized, is fortunate, we have an itch. Not necessarily to return to the UK, as we no longer enjoyed the rat race and many other problems, but to possibly look for somewhere in Canada, that has a mix of familiar weather and a relaxed way of life.

We are 46, 50 and 8. My occupation as a management consultant is usually high in demand and I have 8 years experience of the role.

So my question is, where would a good place to live be? Feel free to express opinions, it all helps and we are grateful for any replies. And would our ages rule us out?
Old Apr 5th 2021, 11:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada

Hi, welcome to BE.

Your ages won't rule you out, unlike Oz there is no upper age limit for immigration. But unfortunately it will affect your score and therefore eligibility for PR. Start with this page on the official website to see what you mean by eligible for - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html. And then we can help you work out your next step.

I wouldn't worry about where to live for now, until you've worked out the visa side of things - if you don't score enough to get PR without a job/sponsorship, then you may not have much choice in where you go anyway, as you'll have to move to wherever you can find a job offer.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;12991389]Hi, welcome to BE.

thanks for this. Yes, according to the site Express Entry seems the most appropriate. I am quite fortunate as the role I am is in high demand globally.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 12:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slaydbyme
thanks for this. Yes, according to the site Express Entry seems the most appropriate. I am quite fortunate as the role I am is in high demand globally.
OK, so that means you're eligible to enter the EE pool which is a good start. Now you need to see what you'd score on the CRS. Essentially, all those eligible for EE are put in to a pool, and then those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR. This is where your age may let you down, but if you score enough in other areas, then it may not matter. You'd need approx 460-470 as a rough guide, and can check out your score here - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

HTH.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 4:14 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

My first post, so feel free to ask any questions if I am not clear enough.

In 2019 we moved from England to Queensland, Australia on a temporary visa pathway to permanent residency, PR was granted in February 2020.

While we are told living in Australia and getting PR just before the pandemic was officially recognized, is fortunate, we have an itch. Not necessarily to return to the UK, as we no longer enjoyed the rat race and many other problems, but to possibly look for somewhere in Canada, that has a mix of familiar weather and a relaxed way of life.

We are 46, 50 and 8. My occupation as a management consultant is usually high in demand and I have 8 years experience of the role.

So my question is, where would a good place to live be? Feel free to express opinions, it all helps and we are grateful for any replies. And would our ages rule us out?
Stay in Australia- if you want a better climate move to Melbourne. If you want better job access move to Sydney.

With 10 to 15 vacation days in most jobs, low salaries and the most overpriced real estate in the world- relaxation is not a thing for most people in Canada.

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 5th 2021 at 4:21 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again. We score 854 through this method
Old Apr 5th 2021, 9:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That’s crazy high, are you sure about that?! You wouldn’t normally come close to that score without provincial nomination so I’m afraid I don’t think that can be right.
Old Apr 5th 2021, 11:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Could you show your breakdown please?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That’s crazy high, are you sure about that?! You wouldn’t normally come close to that score without provincial nomination so I’m afraid I don’t think that can be right.
+1
Particularly as they will have 0 points for age.. I don't think that can be correct either..