Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada

Moving to Canada

Old May 9th 2005, 3:55 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Canada

My aged mother (80+ and with a history of heart problems and other fun stuff) is coming to visit me in the summer. I made it very plain to her that she absolutely had to get top-notch medical insurance, or not come.

I believe that her insurance is costing her more than the plane ticket.
Old May 9th 2005, 4:00 am
mshlgw

mshlgw is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Moving to Canada

Originally Posted by iaink
If you have a heart attack you will in all probability be hospitalised whether you like it or not, and wont be flying anywhere soon.

Your friend who has the US insurance that they are saving for emergencies...how much is the premium for that. Its probably a good indication for what to expect for the OP.

My mum ended up in hospital here on a visit, and although there was the suspicion that the hospital was gouging her insurance for all it could, her stay of less then 4 days cost in excess of $5k.

There is also the danger that is the NHS figures out that you are not infact a UK resident anymore, they will not treat you for free anyway. Just not worth the risk IMO. To recieve treatment on the NHS you have to have at least 10 years continuous residence in the UK, and have been abroad for less than 5. However if you normally live abroad, and are receiving a UK state pension, and have lived in the UK in the past for at least ten years then you can get free treatment, but you have to get there, so is it worth it?

I appreciate everyone's comments but I am probably more confused now due to differing opinions and I want to believe you all!!!
Old May 9th 2005, 4:15 am
mshlgw

If you have a heart attack you will in all probability be hospitalised whether you like it or not, and wont be flying anywhere soon.

Your friend who has the US insurance that they are saving for emergencies...how much is the premium for that. Its probably a good indication for what to expect for the OP.

My mum ended up in hospital here on a visit, and although there was the suspicion that the hospital was gouging her insurance for all it could, her stay of less then 4 days cost in excess of $5k.

There is also the danger that is the NHS figures out that you are not infact a UK resident anymore, they will not treat you for free anyway. Just not worth the risk IMO. To recieve treatment on the NHS you have to have at least 10 years continuous residence in the UK, and have been abroad for less than 5. However if you normally live abroad, and are receiving a UK state pension, and have lived in the UK in the past for at least ten years then you can get free treatment, but you have to get there, so is it worth it?

I appreciate your views on the NHS but I still live here and know what happens and do not want to get into that discussion. As I said, I appreciate eveyone's opinions on living in Canada and just want an informed view on the realities of it.
Old May 9th 2005, 4:18 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Not getting treated upon entry the UK is certainly a serious exposure, the rest is just a matter of personal risk tolerance. I, for example, don't have any health insurance beyond OHIP and I'm a frequent visitor to the US; there have been several years in which I've spent more nights there than in Canada. I trust that I'll be able to drag my bleeding body across the border.

My partner gets her health insurance at a discount rate through a group plan. More typical is the family of three with whom we stayed recently, theirs is US$850/month for "crap, minimal coverage with a shitty HMO".

Just to complicate matters, remember that medical care is subject to a tax break in Canada and it's one tax break on which the authorities are quite liberal. One year I claimed, and was allowed, $30,000 under "medical", I suppose less than fifteen was actual doctor's bills but we were allowed cost of travel, cost of accomodation, lots of incidental items. It's no help if you're retired but if you have taxable income in Canada the break can be a big deal.
Old May 9th 2005, 4:25 am
mshlgw

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not getting treated upon entry the UK is certainly a serious exposure, the rest is just a matter of personal risk tolerance. I, for example, don't have any health insurance beyond OHIP and I'm a frequent visitor to the US; there have been several years in which I've spent more nights there than in Canada. I trust that I'll be able to drag my bleeding body across the border.

My partner gets her health insurance at a discount rate through a group plan. More typical is the family of three with whom we stayed recently, theirs is US$850/month for "crap, minimal coverage with a shitty HMO".

Just to complicate matters, remember that medical care is subject to a tax break in Canada and it's one tax break on which the authorities are quite liberal. One year I claimed, and was allowed, $30,000 under "medical", I suppose less than fifteen was actual doctor's bills but we were allowed cost of travel, cost of accomodation, lots of incidental items. It's no help if you're retired but if you have taxable income in Canada the break can be a big deal.

I am still getting more confused. Do I come to Canada or not???
Old May 9th 2005, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by mshlgw
Then ask yourself: (a) why do I want to go to Canada and (b) how much cash do I have available?
Old May 9th 2005, 4:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they got rid of the retirement category for a reason. Do you qualify under any of the other categories?

Why Canada anyway? Why move away from a lifetimes worth of friends, family and familiarity?
Old May 9th 2005, 10:57 am
mshlgw

Well, they got rid of the retirement category for a reason. Do you qualify under any of the other categories?

Why Canada anyway? Why move away from a lifetimes worth of friends, family and familiarity?

Does over 1 million pounds in the bank category count???
Old May 9th 2005, 11:17 pm

Does over 1 million pounds in the bank category count???
It would probably help.

If you've really got that sort of dosh to hand, the investor route would probably be your best bet. It costs more up front but you eventually get your money back (without interest).

On the other hand, if you're prepared to be a bit more hands-on, the entrpreneur route may be better. You have three years to come up with the goods. I know a couple who did just that. They "retired" until CIC started to lean on them and then simply bought a pub. Their only involvement was doing the books.
Old May 10th 2005, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

I think I read somewhere that you could retire there but there's a minimum amount you have to bring with you. Not sure though as it does sound similar to the business route.....
Old May 10th 2005, 12:46 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by proo
I think I read somewhere that you could retire there but there's a minimum amount you have to bring with you. Not sure though as it does sound similar to the business route.....
There used to be, but not anymore.

Still dont understand the OPs motivation to leave a lifetime of family and friends behind and start from scratch. Sure the money will go further and you will have a nice big palatial house and a few big cars, but noone to share them with