Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Calgary in the Summer!

Moving to Calgary in the Summer!

Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Moving to Calgary in the Summer!

Hello,

My two kids and I will be moving out to Calgary in July and we're all very excited. My kids will be 8 and 6 when we move. My husband is already working out there and we (the kids and I) have been out for a short visit.

We have done the expat thing for quite a while, both in the middle east and far east, but this will be our first time living in North America as a family. I know it will be a very different experience but it is one that I am very much looking forward to.

We've been living back in Scotland for about 10 months now (while my husband has been (mostly) working in Calgary) and although in some ways it has been very nice - seeing family and friends and understanding (nearly) everything - it's really good now to be able to look forward to moving on again.

I've spent quite a lot of time over the past few weeks trawling this site, reading the Wiki articles and searching threads and have, so far, had all my initial queries answered. There's a lot of info in here, well done all who have contributed! No doubt as the time to move draws closer I'll realise I have 101 questions.

So, hello and thanks and here's to exciting times ahead!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:07 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Calgary in the Summer!

Hello and welcome to the forum! (Soon it'll be welcome to Calgary eh!!!)

Glad you made good use of the wiki!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Calgary' now there's a thought ....

It feels good to have finally posted something after all this time trawling through other peoples threads. Was starting to feel quite voyeuristic there.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Hi

Welcome to BE and Good Luck with your move to Calgary! We will be just up the road from you in Red Deer in around 8 weeks or so

Best wishes
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future

I am new to this site and am becoming very quickly addicted!
We too are hopefully moving to Calgary this year, my husband has a job waiting for him with Calgary police and we are extremely excited about it as we love it there so much! Life in Canada will be so much better for us all with all the opportunities on offer there compared to thie UK!
We do have a bit of a hurdle to get over first, my ex huband who is trying to stop us taking my two childen there who are 7 & 8 years old. We have been battling through the courts for over twelve months and it has been a complete nightmare both emotionally and financially. It looks like my husband will have to go before us which I can't bear to think about.
How have you managed with immigration with your husband going before you as we are not too sure what to do.?
I hope everything goes well for you and I have no doubts that you will have a wonderful life there. Good luck with the move.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:51 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi best of luck with the move and welcome.

My husband and I are hoping to move to Calgary hope you stay in touch with the forum.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Welcome and hope the build up goes well.

We moved to Calgary at the end of November on a WP and so far so good ( but we do like skiing!!). We have a 5 yr old and 3 yr old.

Where are you moving to?

Gryphea
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: We have bought a beautiful house overlooking a lake in High River!
Tamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant futureTamsin8 has a brilliant future

Hi and thank you.
We are hopefully moving to the Bearspaw area however we quite like the look of Cochrane too. Where are you living?

We all love skiing and it must be so wonderful with it being on your doorstep?!

Has your 3 year old started yet? How have you settled in?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:42 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome and good luck
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tamsin8
I am new to this site and am becoming very quickly addicted!
We too are hopefully moving to Calgary this year, my husband has a job waiting for him with Calgary police and we are extremely excited about it as we love it there so much! Life in Canada will be so much better for us all with all the opportunities on offer there compared to thie UK!
We do have a bit of a hurdle to get over first, my ex huband who is trying to stop us taking my two childen there who are 7 & 8 years old. We have been battling through the courts for over twelve months and it has been a complete nightmare both emotionally and financially. It looks like my husband will have to go before us which I can't bear to think about.
How have you managed with immigration with your husband going before you as we are not too sure what to do.?
I hope everything goes well for you and I have no doubts that you will have a wonderful life there. Good luck with the move.
Tamsin,

I hope you manage to work things out with your ex husband and the kids. I'm sure the idea of your husband going first seems horrible right now. For what it's worth we've been living apart for nearly a year now and, although far from ideal, it hasn't been as bad as I thought it might be (although maybe that's because the end is in sight now). We speak on the phone twice a day and text and e-mail a lot - it really has made us appreciate each other.

I don't know about the immigration yet but I think so long as I go with copies of my husbands WP, passport and all our certificates etc., there shouldn't be a problem.

Gryphea,

My husband has been living down town but has now signed a lease for a house in Springhaven, Strathcona Park. From my research it looked like a nice area and the house looks perfect for us, so fingers crossed! He'll be moving in in May and all should be ready for us to arrive in early July.

Thanks to everyone for saying 'hi', I will be keeping in touch with the forum, I'm on every day now!

MrsDV
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

spanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MrsDV
Hello,

My two kids and I will be moving out to Calgary in July and we're all very excited. My kids will be 8 and 6 when we move. My husband is already working out there and we (the kids and I) have been out for a short visit.

We have done the expat thing for quite a while, both in the middle east and far east, but this will be our first time living in North America as a family. I know it will be a very different experience but it is one that I am very much looking forward to.

We've been living back in Scotland for about 10 months now (while my husband has been (mostly) working in Calgary) and although in some ways it has been very nice - seeing family and friends and understanding (nearly) everything - it's really good now to be able to look forward to moving on again.

I've spent quite a lot of time over the past few weeks trawling this site, reading the Wiki articles and searching threads and have, so far, had all my initial queries answered. There's a lot of info in here, well done all who have contributed! No doubt as the time to move draws closer I'll realise I have 101 questions.

So, hello and thanks and here's to exciting times ahead!
Hello and welcome

We too are moving to Calgary, hopefully end of April. We've got 3 children, aged 8, 6, and 4.

Good luck with the move.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:06 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Hello and welcome to the forum! (Soon it'll be welcome to Calgary eh!!!)
Yep, what she said
Old Apr 1st 2008, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Warm welcome to BE, Mrs DV and Tamsin8
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tamsin8
Hi and thank you.
We are hopefully moving to the Bearspaw area however we quite like the look of Cochrane too. Where are you living?

We all love skiing and it must be so wonderful with it being on your doorstep?!

Has your 3 year old started yet? How have you settled in?

Our 3 yr old skis, she started in UK at Xscape with the lions and now she can ski all canadain green runs, which are a bit like euorpean greens and easier blues

Gyph
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:26 pm
Get me to Canada fast!!

khuppe is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Moving to Calgary in the Summer!

Im moving to Calgary in the summer too, with my 7 year old and 1 year old, my husband is going over first on 22nd May to start his new job (hes canadian) and I will be still in rainy Northern Ireland with the 2 kids until everything gets sorted and we get the ok to go over.

I am not too worried about being on my own for a few months as for the last 6 months I have been a hockey widow as he has been playing hockey in England and I didnt want to move the kids twice in the space of the year so i am used to barely seeing him so another few months isnt going to hurt.

And then we can be one big happy family again and I actually might gain a social life again as with him being a hockey player since we met for 6 months of the year my weekedns were non existant to do family things - so I am excited and thankful for a fresh, new start in Calgary.

I have never been.... I have only ever been to Winnipeg and living there never really appealed to me! So I am giving the Canadian experience a go and I am really nervous but excited all the same!

Tamsin I hope you sort things out with your ex, my eldest son never sees his deadbeat dad, infact he was never on the birth certificate so I dont have that worry you have but I can imagine its stressful especially when you just want to offer your children a better life and to do whats best for them and your family. Hopefully your ex will see that and that there is nothing to stop him coming out to Calgary and vice versa - hope it all gets sorted!