Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to Calgary

moving to Calgary

Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:47 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default moving to Calgary

I'm moving to Calgary soon. 24 years old with 4 Years and as an Electrical Draftsman. I know things have gone bad in Calgary recently like the rest of the world but with my WHV should i still be bale to pick up work. I went to the place 3 weeks back an absolutely loved it plus a tone of my best mates are there.

Cheers for the Advice!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Calgary

Hi Weebie and welcome to the forum.

What kind of advice are you after? Calgary specific stuff, visa stuff, job hunting advice etc?? If you ask specific questions then I'm sure people will be more than happy to help.

Good luck with it all, hope you manage it.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:46 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks,

I'm hopeful if someone can give me an idea of what the situation for brits getting jobs in Calgary is like now. As a lot of you may know Calgary used to be boomtown but things have certainly changed in the last few months...Perhaps I am just getting cold feet!!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Things aren't looking great I believe, there have certainly been lots of stories on here about people who have been made redundant whilst on TWP's.

Do you already have PR as that may make a difference? If you've already got the right to work in Canada then you will probably find work easier than if an employer has to go through the visa process for you.

Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Thanks,

I'm hopeful if someone can give me an idea of what the situation for brits getting jobs in Calgary is like now. As a lot of you may know Calgary used to be boomtown but things have certainly changed in the last few months...Perhaps I am just getting cold feet!!
It depends on what basis you are coming here: if it is as a PR, then there is still plenty of work available; if it is on a Temporary Work Permit, then you need to accept that, in essence, Canadian employers are allowed to fire you for any reason, so long as they provide you with the appropriate notice period. There are no surprises for guessing who will be first out the door if they need to lay people off. If they do fire you, you will not be able to work until you have secured another TWP with another employer. This may be difficult or easy depending on your skill set.

Personally, I wouldn't come to Calgary at the moment on a TWP if I was bringing a family with me, the risk would be too high for me to be comfortable with. Having said that, lots of people are.

Each to their own
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

OP mentions a WHV (Working Holiday Visa) so I assume he's going on BUNAC for a year

Enjoy Weebie, hope you find work and have fun!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by adele
OP mentions a WHV (Working Holiday Visa) so I assume he's going on BUNAC for a year
Well spotted Adele - I'm so used to it always being referred to as Bunac that I didn't pick up on that! Have to confess I assumed it was an acronym for something to do with his work...... Should make it much easier for the OP then.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It depends on what basis you are coming here: if it is as a PR, then there is still plenty of work available; if it is on a Temporary Work Permit, then you need to accept that, in essence, Canadian employers are allowed to fire you for any reason, so long as they provide you with the appropriate notice period. There are no surprises for guessing who will be first out the door if they need to lay people off. If they do fire you, you will not be able to work until you have secured another TWP with another employer. This may be difficult or easy depending on your skill set.

Personally, I wouldn't come to Calgary at the moment on a TWP if I was bringing a family with me, the risk would be too high for me to be comfortable with. Having said that, lots of people are.

Each to their own
This is sound advice. I have the "Green-light" to go to Calgary - Job waiting, work permit, AAIT approval, sold Uk home - "even in this climate!"

But as you say, on a TWP it's risky with a family. We applied for PR in Oct 2006, so I think we're going to rent for now and just sit it out - can't be much longer, surely!

Even the employer in Calgary has said they've "streamlined" their labour team, so as you previously said, on a TWP with a family - it could be very stressful!

As you say, each to their own and I agree with you 100% on this one!

Call me a chicken, scaredy cat, whatever you like I'd tend to call it good old "Common sense!"

Y
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:13 am
we aint goin' back,no way

loose moose will become famous soon enoughloose moose will become famous soon enough

sent you a PM (private message)
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:16 am
Banned

Brilliant!!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:22 am
we aint goin' back,no way

loose moose will become famous soon enoughloose moose will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Weebie
Brilliant!!
no guarantees, just a possibility