Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to British Columbia

Moving to British Columbia

Old Jan 27th 2016, 10:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to British Columbia

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I think BC is quite nice. The people are quite friendly. The scenery is quite pretty for the most part.
I think a lot of what Jack says has merit although I think that line of thought has been done to death in this thread. Coastal BC is quite spectacular, I wouldn't say beautiful, but certainly dramatic. The place is eminently more enjoyable with a boat as it provides access to a much greater experience. Even if I was short of money, I'd buy a small dinghy with an outboard and store it at Jericho Sailing club as its really cheap there. Nothing better of an evening, when you've been dealing with cads all day, then putting out on the water with a few beers to check your crab or prawns pots.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 10:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Nothing better of an evening, when you've been dealing with cads all day, then putting out on the water with a few beers to check your crab or prawns pots.
Don't the same DUI rules of the roads also apply to boating?
Old Jan 27th 2016, 11:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Don't the same DUI rules of the roads also apply to boating?
Sort of. As its saltwater its a federal concern so its regulated under the Criminal Code of Canada and its .08% so a couple of beers isn't going to a big deal. Plus, you can see any plod coming miles away.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 27th 2016 at 11:09 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 11:51 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Sort of. As its saltwater its a federal concern so its regulated under the Criminal Code of Canada and its .08% so a couple of beers isn't going to a big deal. Plus, you can see any plod coming miles away.
Have you not been told about the new subs that they have been issued with?-careful they might snag your lines
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Have you not been told about the new subs that they have been issued with?-careful they might snag your lines
I've had some dirty naffers raid and even steal my pots. I've only been stopped twice, once when some cad on the back deck was smoking pot and the other because of the Olympics. Both occasions I gave a couple of large crabs to each of the rozzers on the boat and they all seemed genuinely pleased with the arrangement. That said, one of the VPD was a young Geordie lad and he asked what they were.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Judge
Okay, pandering to the herd here, cos you guys are amusing.

BC is an isolated cultural wasteland. The locals have their heads so far up their arses they have to stick their hand up their bum in order to clean their teeth.

This is a society that celebrates mediocrity and penalises professionalism. Don't excel at anything, trust me when I say that you'll be crippled by your peers it you're the smartest guy in the room.

Bottom line is that Canada is America's bitch. Wanna live there?
Jack Judge has left the building. The downside of posting in such a peculiar manner is that the mods tend to then look a little closer. And discover that he's got multiple usernames.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Jack Judge has left the building. The downside of posting in such a peculiar manner is that the mods tend to then look a little closer. And discover that he's got multiple usernames.
Are we allowed to know his alternates?
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:16 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Novelcostrion ,Aink, and Hay-leeeeeee ..... Oh, and Distraught... Or was it Disappointed...

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jan 29th 2016 at 3:20 am.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Haggis11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update on employment in the Squamish area.
Tonight's news. Going to be building a new ski area near Squamish, the project is to cost over a billion dollars. Will be lots of work.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 1:44 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Haggis11
Update on employment in the Squamish area.
Tonight's news. Going to be building a new ski area near Squamish, the project is to cost over a billion dollars. Will be lots of work.
I read that- just when Jsmith was up stickin' it to Chilliwack coz work prospects weren't good ... Unbelievable!!
Garibaldi at Squamish ski resort gets environmental approval - British Columbia - CBC News
Old Jan 30th 2016, 2:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Problem though will just be more low paid retail, hotel and food service. Same as on offer in Whistler. A bit closer at around 30km but not as good of roads so probably a worse commute.

Its also not something either Whistler or Squamish want so ill be surprised if its ever built at least anytime soon.

I am looking more for non hospitality jobs, so burned out of hotels....

Not to mention this will put more pressue on housing and not likely salaries on offer will be high enough to pay rent in Squamish.

I know 10% of the housing units will have to be allocated to employees but my guess they will be more for singles then couples of families.

With the opposition and no local or regional support it will be uphill battle to build and its supposed to take like 20 years to build in full.

Time for more of a career job than just another low paid job.

Plus I need to he in a city with amenities. Lol

I read that- just when Jsmith was up stickin' it to Chilliwack coz work prospects weren't good ... Unbelievable!!
Garibaldi at Squamish ski resort gets environmental approval - British Columbia - CBC News

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 30th 2016 at 2:55 am.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 2:55 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Problem though will just be more low paid retail, hotel and food service. Same as on offer in Whistler. A bit closer at around 30km but not as good of roads so probably a worse commute.

Its also not something either Whistler or Squamish want so ill be surprised if its ever built at least anytime soon.

I am looking more for non hospitality jobs, so burned out of hotels....
Yeah, they did say they were putting a rush on it and it should be ready in 20 years.. I kid you not
Old Jan 30th 2016, 5:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, they did say they were putting a rush on it and it should be ready in 20 years.. I kid you not
I think it's taken 20 years since it was originally thought of, so with local governments doing all they can to block it, I see some delays before shovel breaks ground.

None of the local governments in the region except the native one support it, so guaranteed they will do all they can to stop it.

There is apparently some sort of water issue for a project of this size, residents in that area worry they will deplete the aquifer and thus most of their wells since they are not on municipal water supply.

We may also get a Great Wold Lodge, luckily we will be gone as where it's slated to be built potentially is right next door, they will take a nice forest view and turn it into a well an eyesore...

Not sure if Jimmy Pattison's group has applied for rezoning yet, but they have been buying up the landed needed, but its currently zoned industrial, so uphill battle there as well for them.