Wikiposts

Moving Boxes

Old May 24th 2022, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving/Shipping Boxes

Hi All,

I hope everyone is well.

Is there general consensus for what are deemed to be the sturdiest boxes for moves? Amongst other boxes, specifically I would like thoughts on wardrobe boxes please.

Many thanks!

Last edited by Rainmaker; May 24th 2022 at 6:46 am. Reason: Added to title
Old May 25th 2022, 5:34 am
dah diddly dah

btar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond reputebtar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving/Shipping Boxes

We have found the quality and durability of boxes varies from one removal company to another. Boxes provided by UK removers have proved to be more sturdy than those from the US. Wardrobe boxes are a good idea allowing clothes to remain on hangers BUT make sure the clothes are secured further down too otherwise if the box is turned upside down everything falls to the hanger end - and stays there! Even if the box is returned to the correct orientation, the clothes may still stay in a heap so you get lots of badly creased clothes. We know, it happened to us!
Old May 25th 2022, 6:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Boxes

You can get moving boxes from Lowe's and Home Depot, so you can see what you're buying, or you can order boxes from Amazon too.

So far as "sturdiness" goes, be sure to buy "dish barrels" for plates, cups, glasses, etc., a dish barrel is made from double thickness cardboard, then put about 10cm of packing peanuts in the bottom of each box before filling it.
Old May 25th 2022, 10:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I get moving boxes from the liquor store, they come in varying degrees of toughness and have worked well through umpteen moves. Mind, I don't own anything needs hanging up.
Old May 29th 2022, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I get moving boxes from the liquor store, they come in varying degrees of toughness and have worked well through umpteen moves. Mind, I don't own anything needs hanging up.
Sounds like a pretty good idea, and one that saves on the pennies too. Thank you very much.
Old May 29th 2022, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can get moving boxes from Lowe's and Home Depot, so you can see what you're buying, or you can order boxes from Amazon too.

So far as "sturdiness" goes, be sure to buy "dish barrels" for plates, cups, glasses, etc., a dish barrel is made from double thickness cardboard, then put about 10cm of packing peanuts in the bottom of each box before filling it.
Thank you, Pulaski, and great idea with respect to the dish barrel boxes.
Old May 29th 2022, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Moving/Shipping Boxes

Originally Posted by btar
We have found the quality and durability of boxes varies from one removal company to another. Boxes provided by UK removers have proved to be more sturdy than those from the US. Wardrobe boxes are a good idea allowing clothes to remain on hangers BUT make sure the clothes are secured further down too otherwise if the box is turned upside down everything falls to the hanger end - and stays there! Even if the box is returned to the correct orientation, the clothes may still stay in a heap so you get lots of badly creased clothes. We know, it happened to us!
Yup, that happened to me too on my move across Canada. Extremely annoying, however, could have been worse, and thank you for your input!
Old Jun 16th 2022, 10:38 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The shops in the malls have boxes upon boxes. Most stores are willing to give away. American Eagle and Eddie Bauer, definitely have nice sized ones.