Reload this Page >

Question about tax residency

Question about tax residency

Old Jun 22nd 2022, 8:25 am
Just Joined

jonmroberts1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about tax residency

Good Morning,

My wife and I are moving to Canada in September, she is already a citizen but has been living in the UK for the past 5 years. She still has an RBC account from when she was a resident in Canada.

As part of the prep we transferred some of our savings to her RBC account to pay for our new rental apartment, startup costs etc.This was £9000 so about $14000 CAD.

The transfer went through but she recieved an email from RBC today saying they need her to confirm her tax residency, I assume we triggered an automatic query by depositing a large amount, the forms are going to be sent to the address she has on file at present (her mothers house) - technically at present she is still a UK taxpayer and has been taxed on this already, from September she will be soley a Canadian tax resident and automatically taxed as part of her new job. We are just wondering what is the best way of filling in the form, I assume indicating she's still a UK resident at the time the form was sent and providing proof?

I also have my house on the market in the UK, it's likely to sell before I move to Canada and we'll have an additional $110,000 CAD in funds to transfer over, as I am not a Canadian citizen or PR I assume there won't be an issue here as long as I bring the money with me as funds when my PR is granted?

Thanks,
Jon
Old Jun 22nd 2022, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about tax residency

Originally Posted by jonmroberts1984
Good Morning,

My wife and I are moving to Canada in September, she is already a citizen but has been living in the UK for the past 5 years. She still has an RBC account from when she was a resident in Canada.

As part of the prep we transferred some of our savings to her RBC account to pay for our new rental apartment, startup costs etc.This was £9000 so about $14000 CAD.

The transfer went through but she recieved an email from RBC today saying they need her to confirm her tax residency, I assume we triggered an automatic query by depositing a large amount, the forms are going to be sent to the address she has on file at present (her mothers house) - technically at present she is still a UK taxpayer and has been taxed on this already, from September she will be soley a Canadian tax resident and automatically taxed as part of her new job. We are just wondering what is the best way of filling in the form, I assume indicating she's still a UK resident at the time the form was sent and providing proof?

I also have my house on the market in the UK, it's likely to sell before I move to Canada and we'll have an additional $110,000 CAD in funds to transfer over, as I am not a Canadian citizen or PR I assume there won't be an issue here as long as I bring the money with me as funds when my PR is granted?

Thanks,
Jon
Yes, she's tax resident in the UK now so should complete the form to that effect.

Just checking, but you're aware of the 'dual intent' rules if you haven't got PR before you move? Hopefully your application is well underway and you've already got SA, but just thought I'd flag it just in case.

Good luck with it.
Old Jun 22nd 2022, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

jonmroberts1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about tax residency

I won't be moving until I have PR - I will be visiting but not moving. Having a quick look at dual intent I believe I could prove I would return (I still have a job in the UK until I get PR, I still have a house etc.)