Reload this Page >

Moving to BC on Thyroxine

Moving to BC on Thyroxine

Old May 11th 2012, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to BC on Thyroxine

Hi Expats

I have done a search but cannot find a recent answer and wondered if someone can point me in the right direction.

I take longterm Thyroxine and my husband a well controlled Asthmatic and i'm trying to find approximate costs of prescriptions. I understand we are not entitled to healthcare for the first 3 months and we will have private insurance and meds to cover us during that period but how do we go about signing up with a GP over there?
Is it as straight forward as it is here....just walk on in to a practice and sign the relevant forms?

Thanks for advice

Anna
Old May 11th 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to BC on Thyroxine

I can answer one part of your question at least

You have to register for the MSP in BC first I believe (or pay the doc fees yourself which could be costly). See here for more info:

http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigrat...ealthcare.page

Once that's done and you have your PHN (Personal Health Number) you can go to a doctor. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to register as long as they are accepting new patients (same as U.K. I guess in that regard).

See here to find a doctor:

https://www.cpsbc.ca/node/263

It may be wise to click the 'all family physicians' and contact them directly in case the information on that site hasn't been updated with regards to their acceptance of new patients or not.

Last edited by Siphorous; May 11th 2012 at 11:06 am. Reason: removed duplicate word and added the pay doc bit.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I take Thyroxine. It doesn't cost a huge amount. My insurance covers all but the excess of the dispensing fee. It costs me around $4 per 100. I will find the total cost when I get home tonight.
Old May 11th 2012, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Guys, much appreciated!
Old May 11th 2012, 5:36 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

On the asthma front the price of inhalers varies quite a bit and depends on if there is a generic brand version out there or not.

In Alberta, Advair (the purple one - can't remember what its called in the UK) will set you back around $100 an inhaler, but other inhalers are much cheaper than this.

Other half's Thyroxine is peanuts - just a few bucks at a time.
Old May 12th 2012, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much