Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving Back To The UK

Moving Back To The UK

Old Feb 14th 2017, 10:15 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back To The UK

Originally Posted by wonderwoman
I'm considering a move back to the UK, it definitely seems like I'll be taking a step back financially and property wise, my heart says move but my head says "think of the money!"
i guess it depends what you want..deep down..for me it was being able to be financially independent once i'm retired. I want to retire and go back to the UK so adding up the numbers it made sense to come back to Canada and stay here.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 11:16 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck74
If you stay away from the south and southeast you will be fine,
I'll be resetting in the south if I go, so I'm a little 😱at house prices !
Old Feb 15th 2017, 1:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
My Son who was 2 year old when we moved to Canada from the UK in 1991, moved back to live in the UK last September at age 28. The only thing he needed was to get a home address in the UK before he could apply for a National Insurance number. His girlfriend went over with him but since she is only Canadian she applied and received a 2 year working visa. They had an apartment (flat in England) and jobs within 3 weeks of arriving there.
My daughter, born in Canada but UK passport, had to take the IELTS exam in order to work when she emigrated to London. She was not amused.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
well in the back of my mind..i was only going back home temporarily.....i was set to come back in 2015 and had a job lined up in Calgary etc but life happens.

The main reason for coming back however was the realization that financially i would be better off in Canada..although i had a good job and a well paid job in London i couldn't get back on the housing ladder and the amount i could save each month was minimal..if i keep my head down and my nose clean for the next 20 years here i can do alright and should be able to retire with some degree of financial security.

Well thats a no brainer then, they say money cant buy happiness, but in the form of financial security id say it can go a long way to being happy and content, financial issues and make your life pretty miserable.

I am fianacially much better off here in Canada, in the UK money was a constant worry....but i was fortunate with the job i got here (salary wise) so that was an element of luck to it aswel.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wonderwoman
I'm considering a move back to the UK, it definitely seems like I'll be taking a step back financially and property wise, my heart says move but my head says "think of the money!"
Well you have to be happy inside too, staying here just for the money could breed resentment.

Personally for me, being financially better off meant i could do things i love doing in Canada not only because i had extra income, but because of its geography and climate too.

Things like guaranteed great summers for being outside and enjoying things like boating, then in the winter skiing and snowmobiling. I couldnt do any of that in the UK, I didnt have the financial means and the geography/climate didnt allow it either.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 6:38 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Paul_Shepherd;12180761]Well you have to be happy inside too, staying here just for the money could breed resentment.

Exactly, it would help if I hated Canada, and have it bad here, but I don't.....I'm not even sure if moving back would make me happy? It's hard to know if I'm nostalgic for the UK, or just getting itchy feet for a new place/challenge 😏
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=wonderwoman;12180884]
Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well you have to be happy inside too, staying here just for the money could breed resentment.

Exactly, it would help if I hated Canada, and have it bad here, but I don't.....I'm not even sure if moving back would make me happy? It's hard to know if I'm nostalgic for the UK, or just getting itchy feet for a new place/challenge � ����

It could well be just itchy feet, and if so thats not worth giving up a happy comfortable and secure lifestyle for (in my opinion and taking age into account too), maybe it will pass?

Being nostalgic for the UK does play a part with they way we all feel i think, how can it not, for most of us we spent most of out lives there.

However when im faced with dilemmas like this i alway step back look at the big picture to see what makes sense, but then ive always listened to my head....never my heart....which hasnt always served me well, but the majority of times i think it has.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 10:03 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

What i did find when i went back was how easy it was to slot right back in again..to some extent it felt like i had never left..and the whole Canada thing was a dream..i went back to my old job and with my old company..went back to costa coffee and enjoying a Chinese or Indian takeaway at the weekend..watching the TV again and watching football.

Now coming back the other way im finding it far more difficult..id forgotten what i used to do at weekends and what i used to eat..id forgotten about different work practices and codes and things like shoveling drives and footpaths..im still adjusting to life in Canada and its hard work.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 10:08 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck74
If you stay away from the south and southeast you will be fine,
That's the thing really. The possibilities for most professionals in Toronto are reasonably close to what they are in London but the standard and cost of living in Toronto is so much better.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

House prices in the UK have stagnated for about 3 years now and have took an extra hit because of Brexit.

HUH??

Not my experience. I live in the UK and house prices have risen a 'healthy' 5 - 9% each year for the last three years. OK, maybe only 5 - 7% annualised since BREXIT, but healthily outstripping wage inflation - not what I would call stagnation. I also notice that decent houses are still selling quickly and new houses even faster (for some reason). No, I don't live in or near London.

The exchange rate may be in the toilet, but the UK stock market is at record levels (one to an extent outweighing the other as regards my UK investments ready to transfer to Canada).
Old Feb 16th 2017, 2:46 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
What i did find when i went back was how easy it was to slot right back in again..to some extent it felt like i had never left..and the whole Canada thing was a dream..i went back to my old job and with my old company..went back to costa coffee and enjoying a Chinese or Indian takeaway at the weekend..watching the TV again and watching football.

Now coming back the other way im finding it far more difficult..id forgotten what i used to do at weekends and what i used to eat..id forgotten about different work practices and codes and things like shoveling drives and footpaths..im still adjusting to life in Canada and its hard work.
And of course, it doesn't help you moved to Deadmonton this time too
Old Feb 16th 2017, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

If you read my whole article I said it was dependent on where you lived in Canada. I originally come from the Northeast of England. This paragraph is from the Telegraph in January 2016.
The North East of England saw the smallest annual increase in house prices across the regions, with a 0.2pc increase taking the average property value there to £97,117.
I can only relate to the area of the Country that I can compare property prices to at the time I left the UK to come to Canada. I stand by my statement That I can get way more today in Northeastern England than I could ever hope to get 3 years ago.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 6:04 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Photoplex
And of course, it doesn't help you moved to Deadmonton this time too
in a funny way this is true..when i lived in Edmonton previously it was with my family as it was then..when i lived in Calgary it was just me and my eldest son..so im kind of trying to recreate my Calgary life but in Edmonton but that doesn't work..im waiting for Spring to kick in so i can get a bike.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 10:08 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

If you read my whole article I said it was dependent on where you lived in Canada. I originally come from the Northeast of England. This paragraph is from the Telegraph in January 2016.
The North East of England saw the smallest annual increase in house prices across the regions, with a 0.2pc increase taking the average property value there to £97,117.
I can only relate to the area of the Country that I can compare property prices to at the time I left the UK to come to Canada. I stand by my statement That I can get way more today in Northeastern England than I could ever hope to get 3 years ago.

I had done some research recently on property in & around Bridlington in the N.E & yes really good value for money

maybe on the high end but look what you get for the price, a 12 bedroom semi-house for £197,950.

12 bed semi-detached house for sale in Wellington Road, Bridlington, East Riding Yorkshire YO15 - 17600107 - Zoopla

Last edited by not2old; Feb 16th 2017 at 10:10 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 10:21 pm
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
maybe on the high end but look what you get for the price, a 12 bedroom semi-house for £197,950.
Wow so depressing that I have to spend about £450k to get a small 3 bed semi, if I'm lucky. Joys of the SE of England.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.