Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK

Originally Posted by el_richo
That's weird, i've just been hired for a new contract in the UK and i'm English.
I think that it honestly depends on the industry in which you work and the numbers of Eastern Europeans working in the UK has grown significantly smaller in the last 12 months or so although I have to say that I have never met an Eastern European whom I didn't like. From my experience, I have found them to be honest, decent and hardworking people unlike a lot of other 'tradesmen' who are UK natives.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

sarah75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smgwh01
We have been in Nova Scotia for 6 months now. the companies in the Uk now too busy employing cheap labour from the old eastern bloc countries they are laying off British workers and employing people from the Eastern bloc my wife and I have first hand knowlrdge of this.nearly everybody you talk to over 40 now wants to get out, Yes it is very expensive in Nova scotia even for day to day things like food etc but we have a house on the ocean about 45 mins out from Halifax. It hasn't been easy but overall we are happier in Canada than the UK
Yes, my husband says the same, I have pretty much spent most of my working life employing contractors, and have seen most of the work disappear, unless it is military/defense work which has to stay in house. We are looking at Toronto, but we will be renting our house out, just incase work falls apart and we need to escape!!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by el_richo
That's weird, i've just been hired for a new contract in the UK and i'm English.
el_richo

I am another ex pat( English) from Canada who also was hired to work for a UK nuclear engineering company in Oxfordshire. At the time we returned to the UK I was nearly 40 years old (2005).

Most of my friends who are over 40 now are not looking to leave the UK due to immigrants taking over their jobs. They are definitely happy with their lot in the UK and those who thought about moving to Canada decided not too when they found out who hard it was for my family to first settle in Canada.

There are still some good jobs back in the UK if you have qualifications and skills employers want. I know when I lived nearly Oxford they did employee machinist from Eastern Europe as those local experienced machinist were in high demand by hi tech and automotive industry. Local small engineering companies could not afford the premium salaries the like Honda or Williams racing was offering, so they hired Estonian's.

hudd
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:04 pm
Heading to toronto or cal

joycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Yeah we would definitely need a furnished place unfortunately and I think that the location would at least need to be reasonably good since we would be strangers in a foreign land and neither of us drive.
Hi DigitalGhost,

Are you moving to Vancouver soon. You can send me a private mail to communicate further.

Regards
Joyce
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:00 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver (a few personal pros and cons)

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
In the 'burbs there aren't a lot except hideous chains like Cactus club etc. Places to go check Gastown (I like the vibe down there right now - less pretentious, new pubs opening) or the Georgia Straight listings. But you're not going to find the same vibe as London. Fact. If you can accept the low-key nature of Vancouver you'll have a better time

As far as fashion goes, I went through the same thing when I moved here re: fashion but now I get that there is a west coast look (largely influenced by LA). It's not worse, it's just different. And there are lots of local designers here.
You should of seen it in '98 when i moved over. There were tumbleweeds blowing down Granville.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:14 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joycejimi
Hi DigitalGhost,

Are you moving to Vancouver soon. You can send me a private mail to communicate further.

Regards
Joyce
Possibly, if we were going then I don't think that it would be until around October though.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:44 pm
ork
Just Joined

ork is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vancouver (a few personal pros and cons)

Originally Posted by dboy

You and your hubby should try popping out for a social through this:

http://www.meetup.com/BritishExpat/

Vancouver is an odd place and can be tough to break into, an you are right it's just an average city with a nice garden as brizzle rightly put it in the past.
Thank you, I found that website just before I found this forum but I haven't become a member yet - I'll keep an eye out for events.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I have been reading this thread with interest, and thought I would throw in my tuppence worth we first came to Canada in 1976 to Toronto, my husband had a job to come to so things were fine. I found the first year horrendous OH worked in hospitality industry and worked 16 hour days, i was in an apartment with a 10 week old baby and 2 year old and I knew no e.It was very hard and it took a few years to settle. When my children went ot school I got a job and started meeting new friends it was great and my sister and her husband came over so I had family. 8 years later my dad passed away and I went home to Ireland, we ended up back in Ireland to look after my mum and now 26 years later we are back in canada. I know it was a real risk as I knew it would have changed. But nothing has prepared me for how much!! I now find people too busy to be friendly as they used to be, and nowhere nearly as hospitable, I am really sad, as I love canada, we even went to bc in april to check it out and though I find it a beautiful part of canada, again I found it hard to meet people. Maybe had rose tinted glasses on thinking people stayed the same. We are retired now, and thought we would meet friends through playing golf but now I am not so sure. I would love to find a nice friendly community with good golf courses close, as I really don't want to go back to Ireland, its a beautiful country, but I still Canada is my home if I could just make it work. We have made some bad choices especially where we live I really don't like it Its Fort Erie, and I feel very isolated, and its a bit of a dump very depressed area. if anyone can suggest a nice friendly community (by the way we rent) I would be grateful. I am retired but not yet 60 yrs so I am still very active, so is my husband. Looking forward to hearing from you, sorry if i have rambled a bit
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi I have been reading this thread with interest, and thought I would throw in my tuppence worth we first came to Canada in 1976 to Toronto, my husband had a job to come to so things were fine. I found the first year horrendous OH worked in hospitality industry and worked 16 hour days, i was in an apartment with a 10 week old baby and 2 year old and I knew no e.It was very hard and it took a few years to settle. When my children went ot school I got a job and started meeting new friends it was great and my sister and her husband came over so I had family. 8 years later my dad passed away and I went home to Ireland, we ended up back in Ireland to look after my mum and now 26 years later we are back in canada. I know it was a real risk as I knew it would have changed. But nothing has prepared me for how much!! I now find people too busy to be friendly as they used to be, and nowhere nearly as hospitable, I am really sad, as I love canada, we even went to bc in april to check it out and though I find it a beautiful part of canada, again I found it hard to meet people. Maybe had rose tinted glasses on thinking people stayed the same. We are retired now, and thought we would meet friends through playing golf but now I am not so sure. I would love to find a nice friendly community with good golf courses close, as I really don't want to go back to Ireland, its a beautiful country, but I still Canada is my home if I could just make it work. We have made some bad choices especially where we live I really don't like it Its Fort Erie, and I feel very isolated, and its a bit of a dump very depressed area. if anyone can suggest a nice friendly community (by the way we rent) I would be grateful. I am retired but not yet 60 yrs so I am still very active, so is my husband. Looking forward to hearing from you, sorry if i have rambled a bit
You might want to check out Eastern Ontario (Kingston, Belleville, Brockville etc.).

Lots of interesting areas for living ,day trips etc and volunteer opportunities for meeting people.

Sandbanks Park (http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/sand.html)

Bon Echo Park ( http://www.ontarioparks.com/ENGLISH/bone.html)

Kingston ( http://www.cityofkingston.ca/index.asp)

Land of Lakes (http://www.lol.on.ca/)

Thousand Islands (http://www.visit1000islands.com/visitorinfo/)
Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply, I had thought of kingston ect: do you reckion they are friendlier places to live, we had thought of the Thorold stone road area of Niagara, do you know anything about there? again thanks
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

i think i would rather have a 2 faced canadian your quote compared to the larger louts, druggies who would steal the shirt off your back and all the litter bugs that are in the uk. not counting all the people i would have to pay for who did not want to work, then there all the people that come from europe that want to use the NHS for free, a bottle of wine and some cheese lol its very funny, maybe you lived in a nice area of uk and didnt see a lot of what goes on
Old Jan 21st 2010, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pacepeter
i think i would rather have a 2 faced canadian your quote compared to the larger louts, druggies who would steal the shirt off your back and all the litter bugs that are in the uk. not counting all the people i would have to pay for who did not want to work, then there all the people that come from europe that want to use the NHS for free, a bottle of wine and some cheese lol its very funny, maybe you lived in a nice area of uk and didnt see a lot of what goes on
when I first read this readers thread I thought the same as you, but then I pulled myself up, you know there is nothing worse than homesickeness. I went ot Australia in 1971, I was very young , my brother lived there at the time and I married there (you have to remember I moved because the troubles in Ireland were at their worst and my husband and I are mixed religion) i tried desperately to settle as the quality of life at that time in australia was so much better than Ireland, but I was still homesick and ended up going HOME. I won't go into all the details but I am now back in Canada, its not the same place as in 1979 + and not for the better, but i am still looking to find a place for us here in Canada as I feel it is still the country for us ( I( really hope) Hopefully it will work for you to I hope so
Djam
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Unhappypat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canadiangrape
Me and my family have decided to move back, Canada is way too expensive and I can get twice the wage I get here back in the UK. I have had enough of paying 20 dollars for a bad bottle of wine and 10 dollars for very small piece of cheese. I also find that the Canadians are very two faced and really cant be trusted. After moving here I think that life is better in the UK.
Well so are we, my family and I have been in Canada for 6 years, we came here to experience a new life, a new begining, we embraced our new country we put down roots, But the roots didn't take and after all we have done we have achieved nothing. Sure Canada is nice on the one side, but on the other the winters are too cold and long, the food sucks, everything seems to be fried or have bread wrapped around it, no decent restuarants just fast food everywhere, the produce in the shops is either very old or has travelled so far it has no taste left in it, the standard of driving here is dreadful, the T.V. definition is horrible,( makes your eyes hurt)Oh and weve had more power cuts here than when we lived out in the wilds of untamed Scotland! I personally dont think that I'm looking through rose tinted glasses, the atmosphere is too dry and chillblains are the norm here. That's before you get into the shame of the Gas and Oil industry and what they are doing to the Earth. Some places look like" Mordor"(from Lord of the Rings) its a travesty. Canada's image of a clean, fresh wonderful place to live Lies.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

lady lord is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Unhappypat
Well so are we, my family and I have been in Canada for 6 years, we came here to experience a new life, a new begining, we embraced our new country we put down roots, But the roots didn't take and after all we have done we have achieved nothing. Sure Canada is nice on the one side, but on the other the winters are too cold and long, the food sucks, everything seems to be fried or have bread wrapped around it, no decent restuarants just fast food everywhere, the produce in the shops is either very old or has travelled so far it has no taste left in it, the standard of driving here is dreadful, the T.V. definition is horrible,( makes your eyes hurt)Oh and weve had more power cuts here than when we lived out in the wilds of untamed Scotland! I personally dont think that I'm looking through rose tinted glasses, the atmosphere is too dry and chillblains are the norm here. That's before you get into the shame of the Gas and Oil industry and what they are doing to the Earth. Some places look like" Mordor"(from Lord of the Rings) its a travesty. Canada's image of a clean, fresh wonderful place to live Lies.

Out of interest which part of Canada do you live in?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:48 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Unhappypat
Are you sure that you didn't accidentally stay in Scotland? because a lot of that definitely sounds like Glasgow to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.