Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

MOVING BACK TO DURHAM ENGLAND -PROS/CONS ?

MOVING BACK TO DURHAM ENGLAND -PROS/CONS ?

Old Jun 12th 2011, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

krasy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MOVING BACK TO DURHAM ENGLAND -PROS/CONS ?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well joking aside, I wish I had a photo with Alan Shearer.

It was tricky to set up because he wasn't born when I left Newcastle (and was only 7 when I left the UK).
well he was most obliging and was sat in the restaurant at the table next to us lovely guy, wish i could say the same for carroll, unfortunately I cant
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Taken from the school's website. "Emmanuel maintains a comprehensive intake, ensuring that the IQ and socioeconomic status of students admitted mirrors the catchment area of inner-city Gateshead and Newcastle."
Emmanuel college was set up primarily as a vehicle to spread peter vardy's personal beliefs. They get decent enough results but do interview students for admission so I doubt very much the intake truly reflects the catchment. See the intake policy:

http://www.emmanuelctc.org.uk/emmanuelcollege/policies/
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi enlandia!
i have sent you a PM!

Originally Posted by ENGLANDIA
I moved to the Vancouver area in 2006 from Durham . My kids are 14 , 12 and 11. I,m in the early stages of thinking of moving back to the Durham area.
We still havn,t applied for Canadian citizenship yet but i plan to do so soon.

If the decision was for myself and the missus we would be ready to go back tomorrow but i have to think about the kids and their education etc. I feel the education is better and higher standard than in Canada and fees are prob less @ universities etc.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:58 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I think this thread proves that one of the best things about the UK is the regionalism of it. The local differences that don't really exist in North America (places like Newfoundland excepted, probably)

The pride, the accents, the food, the customs, the humour...for large parts of Canada that just doesn't exist. Life is pretty homogenous from coast to coast. Canada really seems to celebrate it's sameness.

I prefer the variety and richness of Europe.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ENGLANDIA
I moved to the Vancouver area in 2006 from Durham . My kids are 14 , 12 and 11. I,m in the early stages of thinking of moving back to the Durham area.
We still havn,t applied for Canadian citizenship yet but i plan to do so soon.

If the decision was for myself and the missus we would be ready to go back tomorrow but i have to think about the kids and their education etc. I feel the education is better and higher standard than in Canada and fees are prob less @ universities etc.
If you are thinking about coming back and getting your kids in to Durham Johnston you will need to take a careful at the catchment area as they are heavily over subscribed, St Leonards is still a good option too if a RC school is an option.

Ive been spending a lot of time in Durham recently, primarily because my daughter rows for Durham Amateur Rowing Club, and it is a great city, but do not think Durham has has less crime than Newcastle, Sunderland or Middlesbrough. Having said that I do not think crime is a particularly big issue in the North East in the good areas, although I am sure the stats will say otherwise. There are certainly pockets of scum all over the North East, but there are all over the UK, and dare I say it even parts of Canada too.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And traveling with a flock of drunken charvettes wearing white blouses and black microskirts.
I haven't been back to Newcastle since I left Uni in the mid 80s. I thought maybe it had changed - but apparently not!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 4:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wearsider
If you are thinking about coming back and getting your kids in to Durham Johnston you will need to take a careful at the catchment area as they are heavily over subscribed ...
I went to Durham Johnston. The first year I went there was the first year the school admitted girls, and the first year the school was renamed Durham Johnston Grammar and Technical School rather than just Grammar School. The head and senior teaching staff, who all seemed to carry a chip on their shoulder that they were not teaching at the nearby (private) Durham School, acted as though their careers had be thrown on the scrap heap.

The teaching had three objectives:

1 Get as many people into Oxbridge as possible.

2 Get those who couldn't quite make the Oxbridge entrance exams into a "decent" red brick.

3 For the others, well who cares about the others?

If you were in 3 the only teachers who showed you any attention were from the unusual proportion of unmarried male teachers whose interest in boys went well beyond the purely academic.

I hated the place. However, I left over three decades ago so things might have changed a bit.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jun 12th 2011 at 4:39 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 4:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

The teaching had three objectives:

1 Get as many people into Oxbridge as possible.

2 Get those who couldn't quite make the Oxbridge entrance exams into a "decent" red brick.

3 For the others, well who cares about the others?

If you were in 3 the only teachers who showed you any attention where from the unusual proportion of unmarried male teachers whose interest in boys went well beyond the purely academic.
That all sounds very familiar.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't get a decent education in England?

Nearly all Nobel Laureates owe their attainments to a university education.

U.S. Nobel Laureates-326 #1
U.K. Nobel Laureates-116 #2
Canada Nobel Laureates-19
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:44 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if it's changed but Durham Uni used to be reluctant to take local students, however Newcastle Uni is excellent (didn't go but know a lot of people who did and they have nothing but good things to say about it).
Durham itself is a wonderful place to live - hope to be heading that way ourselves in the next few years.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:01 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
Not sure if it's changed but Durham Uni used to be reluctant to take local students
Really?

I am very surprised if this is true. I've been involved in admissions at three major UK universities over nearly twenty years and the geographical location of applicants never played a part in our considerations.

Do you have evidence?
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:32 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I think this thread proves that one of the best things about the UK is the regionalism of it. The local differences that don't really exist in North America (places like Newfoundland excepted, probably)

The pride, the accents, the food, the customs, the humour...for large parts of Canada that just doesn't exist. Life is pretty homogenous from coast to coast. Canada really seems to celebrate it's sameness.

I prefer the variety and richness of Europe.
New Brunswick definitely has the regional accents (and languages), after living here for 5+ years I can tell a Harvey accent from a Fredericton one
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:57 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Really?

I am very surprised if this is true. I've been involved in admissions at three major UK universities over nearly twenty years and the geographical location of applicants never played a part in our considerations.

Do you have evidence?
A number of friends at various schools in the Durham area wanted to apply and were advised not to do so by their teachers.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 4:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
A number of friends at various schools in the Durham area wanted to apply and were advised not to do so by their teachers.

Maybe they were just thickos.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:23 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
Maybe they were just thickos.
Depends if you think just thickos end up at Oxbridge, Imperial, etc. - this was before the days of trying to get everyone into University instead of on the Dole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.