Reload this Page >

Moving Around Toronto

Moving Around Toronto

Old May 5th 2004, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

moving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Around Toronto

Hye,

Going to be in Toronto for 6 weeks in August and will have to move around the city and the suburbs quite a bit. We are a family of three...two adults and a child. What is the cheapest way to move around? I mean do you have anything like a monthly pass which let you move around on buses, trams. metros etc. for unlimited trips. Any other suggestions welcome though I am not thinking of renting a car for that period.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 5th 2004, 1:51 pm
mickj

Hmmmmm..... 6 weeks in TO, some would be emigrants on here will kill for that To answer your question, yes there is a monthly pass for the TTC which allows you to get on the bus, subway, and the trams, kind of like the one back home, but it doesn't involve putting ticket through a turnstile.

My suugestion is to get one of those front carrying things for babies, and you and the missus can share the carrying, while the kids walk. For your trips to the surburbs and outside, you can just rent a car for the day or two.

You are coming at a good time, so much to do and see, and if you haven't been to Niagara falls, butterfly conservatory, Niagara on the lake et al, you have to do that on a 2 day trip, the kids will love it, and love you more for it oh...Casa loma is also a fun place for kids, and the kids science museum.

Please don't bring buggies and push chairs, you won't see many of them in TO anyway, they are a pain in the wotsit. If you are going to rent a car for a couple of days, some of these car hire companies provide child sits anyway.

Drop us a mail round that time, might meet up with you for a drink and show you around not the too touristy spots, we have a 7 seater van with DVD and GPS for amusement. Am only 45mins away, use to live in TO, but moved out.
Attached Thumbnails Moving Around Toronto-bronte%252bharbour.jpg  

Last edited by mickj; May 5th 2004 at 2:26 pm.

Old May 5th 2004, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hye,

Firstly a big thanks for offering to show us around. Yes we would definitely like to catch up for a drink. There is just the three of us...wife, me and a 5 year old bundle of energy.

Since you are from Toronto can you suggest where we could live for those 6 weeks. We are planning to rent an apartment for that period. We would like a place that is well connected, safe and not too expensive.

Looking forward to your response and thanks once again.

Originally posted by mickj
Hmmmmm..... 6 weeks in TO, some would be emigrants on here will kill for that To answer your question, yes there is a monthly pass for the TTC which allows you to get on the bus, subway, and the trams, kind of like the one back home, but it doesn't involve putting ticket through a turnstile.

My suugestion is to get one of those front carrying things for babies, and you and the missus can share the carrying, while the kids walk. For your trips to the surburbs and outside, you can just rent a car for the day or two.

You are coming at a good time, so much to do and see, and if you haven't been to Niagara falls, butterfly conservatory, Niagara on the lake et al, you have to do that on a 2 day trip, the kids will love it, and love you more for it oh...Casa loma is also a fun place for kids, and the kids science museum.

Please don't bring buggies and push chairs, you won't see many of them in TO anyway, they are a pain in the wotsit. If you are going to rent a car for a couple of days, some of these car hire companies provide child sits anyway.

Drop us a mail round that time, might meet up with you for a drink and show you around not the too touristy spots, we have a 7 seater van with DVD and GPS for amusement. Am only 45mins away, use to live in TO, but moved out.
Old May 5th 2004, 3:02 pm
mickj

Here is a place to start, i know trying to stay 6 weeeks in a hotel can be well expensive, so what you need is some kind of temporary accomodation that includes all the works:

http://www.toronto.com/section/accommodations

Below is the spanish Aero Car at niagara falls ( not for the faint hearted )
Attached Thumbnails Moving Around Toronto-aero%252bcar%252b-%252bniagara%252bfalls.jpg  

Last edited by mickj; May 6th 2004 at 4:04 pm.

Old May 5th 2004, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Cheeky Mouse is an unknown quantity at this point

check out www.viewit.ca it's a website which shows pictures of apartments to rent in Toronto and the GTA.
We found it really useful when looking for a place to live, it's great to see what the place looks like and saves time trecking over to see it if it looks a bit grotty!
I'm not sure if they do short-term rentals but it's worth a look.

Also, a great area to keep in mind is the Beaches, its in the east end and starts around the east side of Kingston Road and Queen. It's packed full of families, lots of babies and young kids. The Beach is a brilliant place for an energetic five year old to burn off a bit of energy! Plus the area is very safe and is about a 20 minute streetcar ride along Queen to the main downtown area.

Have a brilliant time when you're over here and all the best!
Old May 6th 2004, 12:54 am
mickj

Don't forget to checkout the theatres too, if you are into that sort of thing, canada wonderland is also worth a visit. Mama mia is still showing at the Alexandra theatre
Attached Thumbnails Moving Around Toronto-27.jpg  

Old May 6th 2004, 9:19 am

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Originally posted by mickj
Don't forget to checkout the theatres too, if you are into that sort of thing, canada wonderland is also worth a visit. Mama mia is still showing at the Alexandra theatre
I have just come back from a fact finding trip to Canada and spend four days in Toronto.

We went to see Mamma Mia and it was brilliant. Even my hubby loved it and he didn't really want to go (he doesn't really do musicals). If anyone is in Toronto, I would urge them to book tickets - you can do so on line via ticketking.com which are much cheaper than many of the other ticket sites. We paid $84 each which compared to seeing the show in London UK was megga cheap. You also get to choose your seats with the online seating plan.

We sat behind four American women who had seen the show lots of times in lots of US cities and they said this version was the best.

Jane
Old May 6th 2004, 1:05 pm
mickj

You are right, its a lot cheaper here and you can choose your sit. I think its just a macho problem thing for some guys, as a guy in his early 30s, i love theatre, museums, galleries, and that sort of things, i don't do pubs, as i don't drink, it doesn't make me any less macho @ 6ft:2"

The Costa Del Ontario....No lagger louts in sight :-)
Attached Thumbnails Moving Around Toronto-phbeach2.jpg  

Last edited by mickj; May 6th 2004 at 4:07 pm.

Old May 6th 2004, 3:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan to be here for a good while...

I would recommend a drive north to Tobermory and stay the night and see flowerpot island for a day...

And I would also recommend a drive to Gananoque and do the thousand island tour...

Also a drive along the coast of Lake Erie and a walk around Long Point is nice

And if your feeling adventurous give a thought to going to Ottawa
Old May 10th 2004, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Karib is an unknown quantity at this point

There are the monthly Metropasses in Toronto but I believe they are usually available for purchase only for the last week of the prev month and the first week of the new month. Plus you need to buy a TTC photo ID card for $3.25 to use with it. You can also use your Drivers License as a photo ID card, but not sure if they would accept anything other than an Ontario Driving License.
Old May 17th 2004, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mickj
Hmmmmm..... 6 weeks in TO, some would be emigrants on here will kill for that

My partner will be transitting Toronto for three days or so between 22 and 27 June, she is heading for Kong Kong. Is there any reasonable accommodation in Toronto during that period and where?
Old May 17th 2004, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hye,

The cheapest that we could get was 275 CAD a week...you could try surfing the net for cheaper options. Depends on what type of accommodation you are looking for.

All the best