Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Alberta or BC

Moving to Alberta or BC

Old Mar 24th 2015, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Alberta or BC

Yes I think so, and thanks very much for your assistance, you have been really helpful indeed.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 8:17 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Oops, thought that LA was common parlance. Lethbridge, Alberta
If you live around Edmonton LA means Leduc Alberta.
So no it's not common parlance in reference to Lethbridge.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 8:47 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The thing with the the OK is you literally are in a valley surrounded by massive mountains. So it is quite a drive (psychologically) to get anywhere. It's fine if you like to stay put, and enjoy the recreational lifestyle there, but it has quite a holiday feel to it, and that shuts down Fall/Winter unless your thing is skiing or hunting. Just my take on it, others, if any show up, may disagree. If you're in Alberta you can buy stonking big power boat on the tax you save, and go charge up and down the Okanagan Lakes pissing off the locals anyway.
I know of two people who moved from Alberta to Kelowna and both returned to Alberta. They found winter too depressing. Because of those mountains on a lot of overcast days the cloud base is below the tops of them making it feel like you're in a bowl with the lid on, is how they felt.

Hours of bright sunshine in the winter months seems to bear that out.

Kelowna: Oct 124.5 - Nov 50.9 - Dec 35.1 - Jan 39.4 - Feb 80.9 - Mar 148.5
Calgary: Oct 175.4 - Nov 121.1 - Dec 114 - Jan 119.5 - Feb 144.6 - Mar 177.2
I chose Calgary as the data is not available for Lethbridge.

Data obtained here: Canadian Climate Normals

Mind if you moving to Kelowna from some parts of the UK those low sunshine hours may not bother you.

As for tax savings you'd likely only be saving the GST. In order to pay less income tax in Alberta you have to be earning over $100,000 per year. Alberta's 10% flat income tax only benefits those earning $100,000 or more per year
Old Mar 25th 2015, 6:34 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I have never felt trapped in by big mountain ranges in the Okanagan. We had considered Nelson and I am sure that would have been the case there but not in the Okanagan. We have already been out to Victoria visiting eldest son a month ago. Skiing yes, hunting over Winter... Er no. Closed season. Anyhow, without getting sidetracked into that discussion yet again - most hunters here head off out of the Okanagan. If you want the sun, head above the clouds , snowshoeing , skiing and snowboarding or even just walking.
Anyhow never mind cloud/snow, it has been Spring here for at least a month - clearly unlike Shardsville. Thankfully the Albertans are having to sell their powerboat monstrosities and lake properties due to "financial difficulties" - I have to say that they won't be missed. I love all four seasons particularly Summer and Winter.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 25th 2015 at 7:52 am. Reason: It's early here and I'm on holiday!
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't hunt, so that's cool or work in oil, so not rich enough for power sports, sadly, but all this is really interesting. I think the thing we miss the most about the UK, is just being able to get in the car and drive somewhere to see and do new things.

This is a problem you all won't have in mainland Canada, but here in Newfoundland, there's just not places to visit, that we have not visited 100 times in the 7 years we've been here.

Sure we'll miss the whale migration and the icebergs and sea ice and the animals various that come with that.

But I want to get in the car and be able to drive to a city, do some over nighters and go further afield.

And you would not think it, but NL is a really expensive place to live, everything is expensive as it has to be shipped in.

It would also be nice to have good fruit and veg again too, not F & V that is 3 days old by the time it hits the shops :0(

Little things make a big difference.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:41 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I think that Kelowna would fit the bill nil nicely, ticking your boxes. I hate hunting too! Vancouver and the coast is a reasonable drive if you need to see whales again! If you can get work then you can't go wrong! Local fruit obviously aplenty as it is grown all the way down the valley
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I just wonder if Kamloops and Kelowna, as someone mentioned, would be a bit too insular for 'me', I know my wife is all over these two places and the smaller towns surrounding, but I need access to an airport and I just wonder if South Alberta would be better because of the more Winter sunshine (but the downside of harsher Winter), proximity to big cities and things around?

My job is relatively safe, one of the reasons for moving too, is to be closer to a city where I could earn what I do in my current job (I work in Media), if things changed. This is quite a big factor actually. I am not sure the type of job I do, is in smaller towns.

Last edited by the_tones_guy; Mar 25th 2015 at 10:54 am.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Stinkypup, I work from home and am not tied to an office, so right now, I can work anywhere, my mobile phone is my office.

But if anything should change and I can't do what I do currently, I need media sales work close by to earn anywhere close to what I earn currently.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:57 am
I need a walk

Post Re: Moving to Alberta or BC

Sounds nearly ideal... Anywhere in the interior away from say Vancouver may be a bit lean jobs wise in your field but I'm no expert and Kelowna may have what you needed if push came to shove at some stage. I love your Avatar btw- we could go for walks together... I love Newfies!
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

:0) Ironically, we don't have Newfies, we have a Basenji/Great Dane mix (which we brought from the UK), he just looks like a HUGE Basenji and a husky/lab mix.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't know if you will be able to see this PHOTO
Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:44 am
I need a walk

Yep- still great dogs even if not Newfies
Old Mar 25th 2015, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
I just wonder if Kamloops and Kelowna, as someone mentioned, would be a bit too insular for 'me', I know my wife is all over these two places and the smaller towns surrounding, but I need access to an airport and I just wonder if South Alberta would be better because of the more Winter sunshine (but the downside of harsher Winter), proximity to big cities and things around?

My job is relatively safe, one of the reasons for moving too, is to be closer to a city where I could earn what I do in my current job (I work in Media), if things changed. This is quite a big factor actually. I am not sure the type of job I do, is in smaller towns.
Both Kelowna and Kamloops have airports, but you will have to make a connection somewhere to get to most places other then Alberta and Vancouver (and maybe a couple other city's)

Kelowna has service from the following airlines:

Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Air North, Central Mountain Air, Pacific Coastal, Westjet. They also list United, but I suspect United may just be code share flights with Air Canada.

Kamloops see's less but still has Air Canada, Westjet and Central Mountain.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 7:47 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Hi - we don't like that there is nothing really to do, go and see in NL that we have not already done 100 times, we like to have places to visit, new things to see, new adventures, and have city's within reach.

NL only have St John's which is literally a small town (in our terms).

So just being able to get in a car and drive to see stuff and do things.

We like walking and have 2 dogs, biking too, but also like the quiet life. Winter is harsh, but hey, it's Canada, although NL is a wet Winter, which really affects my son who has asthma.

So in a nutshell, we want interesting, with things to do and see, places to go in all directions, with a 12 year old, kids his age and a school etc...

Err....what else would help?
Most of this is why we want to leave Alberta.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 8:51 pm
I need a walk

Unhappy Re: Moving to Alberta or BC

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Both Kelowna and Kamloops have airports, but you will have to make a connection somewhere to get to most places other then Alberta and Vancouver (and maybe a couple other city's)

Kelowna has service from the following airlines:

Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Air North, Central Mountain Air, Pacific Coastal, Westjet. They also list United, but I suspect United may just be code share flights with Air Canada.

Kamloops see's less but still has Air Canada, Westjet and Central Mountain.
United fly to San Francisco . Direct flights to Tronno, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Mexico, Vegas, Seattle. Los Angeles. Some flights seasonal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.