Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: truro information please

Moved: truro information please

Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

lisacunn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moved: truro information please

Thanks for all the info, and the pictures are lovely. We have decided to visit truro, I'm hoping that when we visit it will help us decide about leaving the UK, at the moment we are 50/50, is anyone ever 100% when they take the leap?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

eldoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisacunn
Thanks for all the info, and the pictures are lovely. We have decided to visit truro, I'm hoping that when we visit it will help us decide about leaving the UK, at the moment we are 50/50, is anyone ever 100% when they take the leap?
Hi Lisa

We're also looking at the North Shore & Truro area although we haven't visited yet... hopefully we're going over later in the year. I can't wait!!

I understand your uncertainty about it all. I've got 4 boys aged 14,10,9 & 7. If it was just me and my hubby, then I'd be over like a shot... but little 'uns make it a bit more difficult. Having said that my younger 3 are all geared up for moving to Canada... the biggest one isn't so sure as he will be leaving his dad over here.

We're looking at immigration options at the minute...

I'd love to hear how you get on during your visit. I've looked at flights as I was thinking about doing a recce trip alone in the Spring - then chickened out (I'm ashamed to admit that I'm scared stiff of driving on the right side of the road!! ) so we're now thinking about a family trip in the fall (when my hubby can drive!! ). Let me know if you find any nice places and how you're getting on...
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

lisacunn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I wil let you know how we get on, I'm hoping the trip will help me decide one way or the other. Like you said if I didn't have kids the decision would be much easier, but other people do it! Also it's the thought of not getting employment, we would have to allow a years wage in the bank to live on and hope we find something in the first year. We would be mortgage free so that's a big bonus.
I'm sure we will be taking plenty if pics so I will send them to you.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

eldoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again

I think that getting a job, once you're over there and are a permanent resident, isn't too difficult from what others have said. It just seems more of a problem when you're trying to get a job for LMO/WP purposes.

There are loads of job sites but many of the jobs I have looked at, in my line of work, have certain qualification requirements and neither my nursing or NVQ 4 qualifications are recognised... so it makes it difficult - it may be the same with your childcare qualifications. I'm working towards a degree at the minute but won't finish this until 2010.

I'm not sure what route you're taking to move to Canada but if you're thinking of not working for a year... have you considered the 'study' option. It means paying international fees if you're not a PR but it gets you a Canadian recognised qualification and Truro college does a Human Services Diploma (child and youth concentration).... Also your OH would get an open work permit. It's just a thought.. you may already have your PR sorted.

Anyway off to cook tea and all the other things which seem much less interesting than talking about Nova Scotia!!!

Speak to you soon
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Forgot to attach this pdf earlier. It lists all the organisations for sports and leisure clubs in the Truro area.
Thanks for this it's excellent and a great insight to what's happening and, great for talking the kids round!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:49 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisacunn
Thanks for the info

Can you recommend any places to stay in truro, we have been looking on the net but finding difficult to find anywhere. We are taking our 5 year old son, so he needs to be in the same room as us. Has anyone stayed at the willow bend motel?
Also how near are the beaches, I know there is pictou which we plan on visiting but is there any closer?
Even though this is more of a research break, we still need to keep the little one occupied.
We are hoping to book for july.

Royalty B&B on Prince.
Really nice people (Sherry and ..uh darn it). Google for it.
Self contained "flat" at the top of their house.
Reasonable rates, brilliant brekkie, wireless internet.
Couldn't do enough for me.
$90 bucks a night isnt cheapy-cheap but its very central.

Stonehouse motel on Willow about $90 bucks a night.
isnt as nice as Royalty by a long shot.

Best Western opposite the Stonehouse is a bit more "corporate" and $120 a night. More hotely.

Didnt stay anywhere else but I hear the Rainbow motel isnt great.
Compared to everywhere Ive stayed at in NS (about 15 places) I recommend Royalty for bangs per buck. Hell, they even did my laundry for me and ran me from the bus station for free. It's the most central out of the lot.

Note: I don't get any kickbacks or anything and Im not friends of the hosts. My recommendation is based on my experience is all. Only "downside" is they have a dog. It's a great dog (big daft labrador thing - very friendly) but some folks might be allergic.