Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Tradespeople Help!

Moved: Tradespeople Help!

Old Apr 11th 2007, 3:07 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Default Moved: Tradespeople Help!

Hi again,

I am a qualified plasterer and would like to know from other tradespeople how easy it is to find work in this field and if I would have to complete any Canadian trade licenses etc. Also if anyone could advise on a rough guide as to earnings. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated!!

Cheers

Colin
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Tradespeople Help!

Hi,
Here is the link to the job bank for whole of Canada.
Looks like your trade is in demand here.
Good Luck.
Yoong
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_e...ent&Student=No
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budcolin
Hi again,

I am a qualified plasterer and would like to know from other tradespeople how easy it is to find work in this field and if I would have to complete any Canadian trade licenses etc. Also if anyone could advise on a rough guide as to earnings. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated!!

Cheers

Colin
Hi budcolin,
I discovered something new today! I work for the Apprenticeship board here in Red Deer and was processing a new application for a Plasterer, but we don't have that title on our list of trades. I soon found out that it is called a Lather over here (good job I asked cos I thought a Lather was something totally different!!). Plastering is a trade that isn't in too much demand (here) as all new houses being thrown up are literally drywall, taped and mudded. Depending on where you plan on coming out to, I'd consider talking to a trades consultant and the provincial Apprenticeship office for further advice

Jaycee
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:29 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Plastering is a trade that isn't in too much demand (here) as all new houses being thrown up are literally drywall, taped and mudded.
I sort of thought that "mudding" here was the equivalent to "plastering" in the UK. So what is "lathering", and how does that differ??
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I sort of thought that "mudding" here was the equivalent to "plastering" in the UK. So what is "lathering", and how does that differ??
I honestly dunno!! LOL But from what my brother-in-law (a self-employed Plasterer in Manchester) tells me, plastering involves more use of the sand and cement, whereas mudding is just a skimming over the drywall & taping........I assume My colleague told me that there is more of a call for the Plastering/Lathering in the older properties where the whole gaps between the wall beams are filled and smoothed with plaster. Oh dear....I can't wait to see how many slate my knowledge (or lack of for that matter) in this trade

I think my main point was really to advise the guy to contact an Apprenticeship office so that he can get everything summed up from a qualified consultant......I have only been working there for just 3 months and I am Nooooo Waaayyyy qualified to start giving advice on trades
Old Apr 12th 2007, 5:45 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Morwenna

From what i have seen on TV i would assume there lathering is more tape and joining over here, They appear to use more of a joint cement type product to skim their dry wall as opposed to a gypsum plaster. I would assume mudding would be more of a traditional plasterer ie render or using what they call stucco. I to am not 100% sure this is only what i have picked up from the american trade type shows (this old house, extreme makeover Home Edition) but i am a sparks by trade in the UK so i know what you guys do over here

I do agree with ruby though call the ministry of training and they may well be able to give you more idea what is involved

Regards

Steve

Last edited by steved61; Apr 12th 2007 at 5:47 am.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:55 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steved61
From what i have seen on TV i would assume there lathering is more tape and joining over here, They appear to use more of a joint cement type product to skim their dry wall as opposed to a gypsum plaster. I would assume mudding would be more of a traditional plasterer ie render or using what they call stucco. I to am not 100% sure this is only what i have picked up from the american trade type shows (this old house, extreme makeover Home Edition) but i am a sparks by trade in the UK so i know what you guys do over here

I do agree with ruby though call the ministry of training and they may well be able to give you more idea what is involved

Regards

Steve
I don't think you'd find much UK-style plastering here, except perhaps in older properties. Normal practice is to whack up sheets of drywall with screws or nails, run some compound down the joint, run tape down over that, followed by another thin layer of compound. When it's dried, you run another one or two thin coats down with a wide blade so it feathers. When that dries, you sand it. It's a doddle.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:04 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I don't think you'd find much UK-style plastering here, except perhaps in older properties. Normal practice is to whack up sheets of drywall with screws or nails, run some compound down the joint, run tape down over that, followed by another thin layer of compound. When it's dried, you run another one or two thin coats down with a wide blade so it feathers. When that dries, you sand it. It's a doddle.
In the Uk thats called taping and joining souvenir

steve
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:21 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steved61
In the Uk thats called taping and joining souvenir

steve
Could well be. I've heard people here use taping, mudding and drywalling interchangeably to refer to the whole process.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 10:10 pm
halfway

dmelec has a spectacular aura aboutdmelec has a spectacular aura aboutdmelec has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Hi budcolin,
I discovered something new today! I work for the Apprenticeship board here in Red Deer and was processing a new application for a Plasterer, but we don't have that title on our list of trades. I soon found out that it is called a Lather over here (good job I asked cos I thought a Lather was something totally different!!). Plastering is a trade that isn't in too much demand (here) as all new houses being thrown up are literally drywall, taped and mudded. Depending on where you plan on coming out to, I'd consider talking to a trades consultant and the provincial Apprenticeship office for further advice

Jaycee
http://www.tradesecrets.org/index.ht...cupations.html try this link out . Cant find an equivalent for plastering , maybee because its not a compulsory trade in Alberta . A Lather is in UK terms a joiner / carpenter / drywaller , someone who installs partitioning frames whether wooden or metal , also ceiling fixer for lay in tiles or false partition . Tradesecrets is Alberta Advanced education , check elsewhere for the rest of Canada . If you are interested in Alberta check out - http://www.canilink.com/
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmelec
http://www.tradesecrets.org/index.ht...cupations.html try this link out . Cant find an equivalent for plastering , maybee because its not a compulsory trade in Alberta . A Lather is in UK terms a joiner / carpenter / drywaller , someone who installs partitioning frames whether wooden or metal , also ceiling fixer for lay in tiles or false partition . Tradesecrets is Alberta Advanced education , check elsewhere for the rest of Canada . If you are interested in Alberta check out - http://www.canilink.com/
Provincial website is www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca

We have a new fella just started with us as a Trades Consultant who is a Painter/Decorator tradesman, he would probably be able to answer this type of question......but budcolin needs to reply to his original post first if he wants any further info...he seems to have disappeared!!
Old Apr 14th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

petesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nice

Hi, I was looking for information about plumbing and came across this address www.red-seal.ca/site/about/faq_e.htm, some good info on there about different trades and provincial requirements, hope this helps
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Hi again,

Cheers

Colin
If can do S&C rendering the world of stucco application http://www.badstucco.com/ is open to you. The Red seal progarm can get your equivalency sorted for a small fee and challenge exams. You will need to document all your work experience, certificates etc.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 8:40 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Moved: Tradespeople Help!

Sorry Guys

Been away for a couple of days.Thanks for all the info so far i'll check it all out.Ruby Murray that would be great if you could pick your painter guys ear for any info

Kind regards to all
Colin
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

Hi again,

Cheers

Colin
hi
did you have any luck on that job bank website .the reason i ask is because i am a brickie and very interested in going myself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.