Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Resume Questions

Moved: Resume Questions

Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:13 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default Moved: Resume Questions

Hi all,

Thanks for all your previous comments but i have another resume question.

Is there a standard font the Canadians like to use?

Also what size?

Also do I need to change my profession title to the canadian equivalent?

K
Old Oct 20th 2007, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Resume Questions

American Letter size for the page. Font - don't think there is - use something readable. The same would apply in the UK.
You could bracket the Canadian version of job titles next the English titles I suppose.

See the Wiki on this site on job hunting/resumes for more details...

Last edited by bodgerx; Oct 21st 2007 at 12:10 am.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:39 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Resume Questions

Originally Posted by KJM
Hi all,

Thanks for all your previous comments but i have another resume question.

Is there a standard font the Canadians like to use?

Also what size?

Also do I need to change my profession title to the canadian equivalent?

K
Depending on where you are sending your resume from. If in Canada, then letter size, if sending from the UK, letter size would be good if you can get it, if not use A4. Keep it to 2 pages max if you can, I once had one of 14 pages sent to me, way too long.

As for fonts, use a sans serif for the headings (Arial or the like) and serif for the body (Times Roman style). One font throughout is OK as well, but no more than 2. Avoid fancy & obscure fonts and especially script fonts, they are often difficult to read, it may look cool to the creator, but is unlikely to impress the reader.

Headings are usually in around 14 - 16 point and bold,the body 11-12 point.

Watch spellings & grammar, one mistake can get a resume rejected. Always good to use terminology the reader can understand, so long as you get it right. If you are not sure, get someone who knows to check it over. If you are sending from overseas the reader should make an allowance for differences in grammar, spelling and terminology. If you cannot get it checked over, use what you know, so you get it right (this is what I did).

If you have references from your home country showing your professional title, likelihood is these will use the home terminology. Be consistent or this could cause some confusion on your resume. An alternative could be to use your professional title then put the Canadian equivalent next to it or underneath in brackets in a smaller font size.

Unfortunately how it is interpreted depends on the reader.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Oct 21st 2007 at 3:57 am.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:49 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Depending on where you are sending your resume from. If in Canada, then letter size, if sending from the UK, letter size would be good if you can get it, if not use A4. Keep it to 2 pages max if you can, I once had one of 14 pages sent to me, way too long.

As for fonts, use a sans serif for the headings (Arial or the like) and a serif for the body (Times Roman style). Avoid fancy & obscure fonts and especially script fonts, they are often difficult to read, it may look cool to the creator, but is unlikely to impress the reader.

Headings are usually in around 14 - 16 point and bolded,the body 11-12 point
Surrey

Thanks for that I tend to use Arial 11 in the UK anyway but as for the CV its hard to cut down to 2 pages.....without cutting out work history and education...how is it done.ummmm

K
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:09 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Be as brief as possible, use 3 words instead of 5 type of thing. Three pages is OK if you have to use more. The purpose of a resume is to get you an interview, not the job. It is a summary of your education, work experience and a little about what you do for recreation, not an autobiography as some seem to want to do.

As I was coming from the UK and my work at the time involved design, I created a portfolio. Cover page, 2 page resume, pictures of my work and three references. These were comb bound with an acetate front sheet and card back.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:20 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Be as brief as possible, use 3 words instead of 5 type of thing. Three pages is OK if you have to use more. The purpose of a resume is to get you an interview, not the job. It is a summary of your education, work experience and a little about what you do for recreation, not an autobiography as some seem to want to do.

As I was coming from the UK and my work at the time involved design, I created a portfolio. Cover page, 2 page resume, pictures of my work and three references. These were comb bound with an acetate front sheet and card back.
Surrey

Ha ha I know what you mean.

I could maybe include some big projects in mine that I have worked on. My intention is forward my CV oops resume to people now. Is it difficult for women professionals in construction do you know.

Thanks for the advice

K
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by KJM
Surrey

Ha ha I know what you mean.

I could maybe include some big projects in mine that I have worked on. My intention is forward my CV oops resume to people now. Is it difficult for women professionals in construction do you know.

Thanks for the advice

K
Unless an employer is interested in an applicant, they more often than not, don't answer. Not even a 'thanks but no thanks' . After about two weeks of sending your info a follow up phone call is not a bad idea to see if they have received it and if they need any further information.

Have you been here and networked with any potential employers or do you already have connections?

Hope it goes well.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 5:39 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Unless an employer is interested in an applicant, they more often than not, don't answer. Not even a 'thanks but no thanks' . After about two weeks of sending your info a follow up phone call is not a bad idea to see if they have received it and if they need any further information.

Have you been here and networked with any potential employers or do you already have connections?

Hope it goes well.
I have been to Canada a couple of times and just in the process of booking another flight. I'm currently networking through professional bodies to seek input.

I recently went to meet a professional in Toronto and he was a little negative about women professionals in the industry as I work in a male dominated industry. That wont put me off.

I will get there in the end.

K
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:54 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Please read the BE Wiki article on Resumes and Covering Letters. I know bodgerx recommended that in an earlier post in this thread, but I don't see any signs of your having taken the advice on board. That article covers all of your questions and more (including the matter of a resume's length).
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:15 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Please read the BE Wiki article on Resumes and Covering Letters. I know bodgerx recommended that in an earlier post in this thread, but I don't see any signs of your having taken the advice on board. That article covers all of your questions and more (including the matter of a resume's length).
Hi Judy

Unless you have xray vision you are unable to see what I have and haven't done in this subject matter. I do take on board all the advice given but indirect criticism is not welcome.

I believe this site is to help people and to encourage people to ask questions and not put them off.

K
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Resume or Résumé?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:40 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJM
Hi Judy

Unless you have xray vision you are unable to see what I have and haven't done in this subject matter. I do take on board all the advice given but indirect criticism is not welcome.

I believe this site is to help people and to encourage people to ask questions and not put them off.

K
I didn't say you hadn't read the article. I said I hadn't seen any signs that you'd read the article. There is a difference.

This statement made it look to me as if you had not read the Wiki on resumes because the article had addressed the issue.

Originally Posted by KJM
Thanks for that I tend to use Arial 11 in the UK anyway but as for the CV its hard to cut down to 2 pages.....without cutting out work history and education...how is it done.ummmm
But, even at that, I didn't say you hadn't read the article. It looked to me as if you may not have read it. If you hadn't read it, I thought it might be helpful if the article's existence was pointed out to you again.

But don't worry, I won't impose myself on you again.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:41 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Resume or Résumé?
Ha Ha

Résumé

An error that everyone makes, I see.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Resume or Résumé?
Resume without the accents, although it is perhaps not quite correct is acceptable and the most widely used. Cannot speak for Quebec though.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:51 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I didn't say you hadn't read the article. I said I hadn't seen any signs that you'd read the article. There is a difference.

This statement made it look to me as if you had not read the Wiki on resumes because the article had addressed the issue.

But, even at that, I didn't say you hadn't read the article. It looked to me as if you may not have read it. If you hadn't read it, I thought it might be helpful if the article's existence was pointed out to you again.

But don't worry, I won't impose myself on you again.
Judy

I apologised if I read the message wrong but my OH did as well. I welcome all advice so please impose on me again.

No offence meant

K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.